Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wind / Rainfall warnings :Potentially very windy Weds 18th Dec 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,778 ✭✭✭✭ninebeanrows

Looks nasty from 7pm into Kerry and spreading quickly up western counties, gusts of c. 120/125km/h look likely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

Miserable day in north cork. Driving wind and rain.

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

It's pretty rough in Dublin now as these things go. Not yellow warning winds yet, but very stormy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

The way things are looking at this stage, it seems that pretty much all areas are prone to some strong winds for couple of hours later this evening as that low swings northwards. Dark, dreary and miserably damp here in Galway yet not much in the way of rainfall.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 194 ✭✭Shorty69664

I see met eireann has cork as an orange warning now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,107 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I see met eireann has cork as an orange warning now.

Yup. Wind warning.

So this morning's very windy weather wasn't the main wind event?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Satellite sequence for between 12pm and 2pm this afternoon:

uuf9NXz.gif

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭aidanodr

Weaverspoint, mouth of Cork harbour.

weaverspoint-181219.jpg

Roches point in distance , mouth of Cork harbour. ( taken from Weavers Pt .. both opposite each other )

rochespoint-181219.jpg

Along the coast to Myrtleville

myrtleville-181219.jpg

Further Along the coast to Fountainstown

fountainstown-181219.jpg

Tell you something, those winds along the coast are the worst I have been in for a while in comparison to recent storms. At the moment they seem to be worst along the coast, but when I came back inland to Carrigaline, toward Cork City the winds were no where as bad .. for the moment.

So maybe these are what people are waiting for potentially later on avo/eve?

• Registered Users Posts: 15,944 ✭✭✭✭Villain

New Warning details:
    Status Orange - Wind warning for Cork

A small deepening depression, associated with the Atlantic storm system Elsa, will track northwards close to the Atlantic seaboard this evening. Strong southerly winds veering southwest will reach mean speeds of 65 to 80 km/h with gusts up 120km/h for a short time.

Valid: 18:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019 to 21:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019

Issued: 14:00 Wednesday 18/12/2019

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Looks like all up along the Atlantic coast will goinginto Orange warning level for a time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Interesting how its not for atlantic coastal counties like the models are showing, unless ME see something different on their model?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭KingdomRushed

I cannot see this being restricted to Cork. Surely if the strong winds barrel into cork from the south then other counties will also cop them?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Interesting how its not for atlantic coastal counties like the models are showing, unless ME see something different on their model?

Waiting to see will it deepen further ie get stronger up along the Atlantic coasts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,732 ✭✭✭BarryD2

Pissiest day in the SE for quite a while, lots of flooding on the minor roads. Rivers will flood.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,677 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

up to 20.3mm in cork city now, and more to come.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,634 ✭✭✭✭Graces7

Moving rapidly towards nightdarkness here. Depths of winter.... near the shortest day.. rain sheeting in deluges and wind variable. I gather another very noisy night is ahead... Will hunker down imminently to catch some sleep.. Stay safe and dry out there..

west mayo offshore island

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Max gust remains at 74km/h at my Waterford station. Rain has intensified with a total of 17.0mm recorded so far.

https://www.waterfordcityweather.com

https://www.youtube.com/c/WaterfordMeteo/live

Edit: Gust of 76km/h just recorded

• Registered Users Posts: 6,143 ✭✭✭munsterlegend

I cannot see this being restricted to Cork. Surely if the strong winds barrel into cork from the south then other counties will also cop them?

The cork snow shield is also being adapted to stop wind spreading to other counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

BarryD2 wrote: »
    Pissiest day in the SE for quite a while, lots of flooding on the minor roads. Rivers will flood.

Hasn't stopped raining all day here in Wexford,winds picking up now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,624 ✭✭✭aidanodr

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Here's the 300-hPa jet stream at 18Z. Elsa's surface low is in the left front quadrant, off our west coast. That strengthening main jet over the mid-Atlantic will help deepen that upper trough and keep it nearby over the next few days, so more surface lows are likely to spawn from it.

ecm0125_nat_gh300_uv300_2019121800_018.png

ecm0125_nat_gh300_uv300_2019121800_036.png

ecm0125_nat_gh300_uv300_2019121800_084.png

• Registered Users Posts: 5,065 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Lovely wet and windy day in cork.

I loved being out properly dressed and nice blustery gusts.

Now off home to a hot dinner, open coal fire and a bit of TV.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,431 ✭✭✭Mortelaro

Gusting 70kmh at my Arklow station atm
    13mm rain
    Wettest part of the day too in the last half hour

• Registered Users Posts: 8,140 ✭✭✭Ronan|Raven

Strong gusts and bucketing rain in Bray for most of the afternoon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

That’s worst that the storm from last week. 20 km cycle home was awful, South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

Absolutely bucketing down in Naas

• Registered Users Posts: 7,121 ✭✭✭pad199207

River Liffey is very very high at Heuston Station. Another couple of feet I’d say and the water will be coming through onto Victoria Quay

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭poconnor16

Just back from a walk with the dog, North Cork, the gusts are already packing quite a punch so will be interesting to see what this evening brings

• Registered Users Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Kingswood Rover

Bad in Kilcullen, worst hour of the winter so far sideways rain and extremely gusty winds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭squarecircles

strange earlier it mentioned stormy weather for galway and mayo with severe gusts up to 130 kmh, no mention of it now.

Met Eireann online,tv,radio forecasts all arseways as usual.

must be a false alarm,hopefully we get a good storm before the winter is over.

Advertisement