Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Whiskey.. Irish or Scottish?

• 17-12-2019 11:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭

Whats your preference and why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Very Tough!

Irish - Nice Spicy Taste, with lovely Sherry Finish is a plus

Scotch - If you like Peaty Flavours cant go wrong

You will find different opinion as taste is per person!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,837 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Overall Irish, but there are some Scotchs I really like - typically Speysides or non-peated from Jura, for example.
    Not a fan of the peat bombs from Islay.

The thing about Scotch is there is a big spread of styles between Islands, Highlands and Speyside, especially in relation to use of peat \ smokiness.
    I think more diversity than you get in Ireland.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Irish for the summer. Scotch (Islay) for the winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

I love Islay whisky, just finished a bottle of Ardbeg the other day.

I also have some Glenfiddich, Glenmorangie and Glenlivet in my drinks press.

I was gifted a bottle of Teelings Single Malt a few months ago, and I like that. I also recently had reason to sample Powers Gold Label and found that agreeable too.

I think people can, and should, enjoy all kinds of drinks and not pigeonhole themselves.

I'l like to try some Japanese, and the next time I'm travelling for work I'll be picking some up.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,856 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Lagavulin is the one that I like the most, but I'm still very much a whiskey/whisky novice. Ask me again in 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 16,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭faceman

Islay Scotch all the way unless you don’t like peaty or smokey whisky.

Redbreast is the closest Irish whiskey to that peaty goodness

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

Irish, I find it's generally smoother with a greater depth of flavour. A lot of scotches I've tasted have been a bit thin and watery, although I will admit that they've generally been of the non-peated variety which may make a difference. The one exception I'd make is Highland Park. It's very lightly peated and has really pleasant mouthfeel. However given the choice, I'd generally choose bourbon over either Irish or scotch as I prefer a slightly sweeter whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Both.
    Because I'm awkward.

Why pick one?
    So many more to choose from too.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

I was in Scotland last weekend and had a few whiskys, all around the £6-£8 mark in a bar. I left thinking there's much better value to be had in Irish whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,575 ✭✭✭ZiabR

Big into my Whiskeys. At the moment in the cabinet I have:

Red Spot, Green Spot, Yellow Spot, Gold Label, Jamson, Middleton Rare, Bushmills, Caskmates Stout, Crown Royal, Redbreast 12, Redbreast 15, Redbreast 21. Love my Irish whiskey, never a fan of Scotch.

I recently did the Middleton Distillery tour in Cork, was an expensive day, but it was an amazing experience.

I find that the Peat Scotch can be a harsh drink, I tend to steer clear of them for the most part.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,544 ✭✭✭Hogzy

Irish whiskey is excellent but I find you can get higher aged, more complex scotch whisky for cheaper than you'd find a similar aged single malt from Ireland. There are exceptions to that of course but its just a general observation iv made. I do purchase my whisk(e)y's all over the world. I suppose the main reason for this is Scotch has a much higher output in terms of Litre of Product than Irish Whiskey does so the availability of it would drive down the price somewhat.

It will be interesting to see how the scotch industry reacts to the relaxing of its rules in relation to the type of casks scotch whisky can be aged in. Up until very recently the classification of 'Scotch Whisky' only applied to spirit aged in Oak casks which limited the casks to mainly old sherry, cognac, bourbon or port barrels.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,074 ✭✭✭Man Vs ManUre

Nothing beats Proper 12.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,923 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I got a gift of a bottle of Johnny Walker Black Label and tried it, found it a terrible drink. Normally I'd like a smooth Irish, a normal Jameson will do me but I would be partial to a Redbreast.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

Hogzy wrote: »
    I suppose the main reason for this is Scotch has a much higher output in terms of Litre of Product than Irish Whiskey does so the availability of it would drive down the price somewhat.

True but Scotch commands a higher price in the likes of the US and Asia. I think you're paying for the name a certain amount of time.

Compare the cheapest scotch in a bar e.g. Bells vs the cheapest Irish whiskey e.g. Jameson or Bushmills white. You're getting far better quality with the Jamesons and Bushmills.

Irish whiskey is excellent but I find you can get higher aged, more complex scotch whisky for cheaper than you'd find a similar aged single malt from Ireland. There are exceptions to that of course but its just a general observation iv made. I do purchase my whisk(e)y's all over the world. I suppose the main reason for this is Scotch has a much higher output in terms of Litre of Product than Irish Whiskey does so the availability of it would drive down the price somewhat.

Thats a fair assertion, but then Irish Whiskey is undergoing a re-emergence while Scotch has had a long established presence. Just a few short years ago there were only two major Irish distilleries, where as Scotland had hundreds. Easy enough for one of them to do a non premium aged run. Also gives them room for experimentation.

Nothing beats Proper 12.

Proper 12 Irish Whisky?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,756 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It will be interesting to see how the scotch industry reacts to the relaxing of its rules in relation to the type of casks scotch whisky can be aged in. Up until very recently the classification of 'Scotch Whisky' only applied to spirit aged in Oak casks which limited the casks to mainly old sherry, cognac, bourbon or port barrels.

When did this change happen? I missed that.
    The reality is that being limited to oak limits you to the vast, vast majority of casks that are currently out there.
    The amount of Irish whiskey that has been aged in "other than oak" is minuscule.
    Method and Madness being the only one range that springs to mind.
    Even Mizunara is a type of oak.

When did this change happen? I missed that.

https://scotchwhisky.com/magazine/latest-news/26098/new-scotch-rules-aim-to-add-flexibility/

Have a look there ^^^

The reality is that being limited to oak limits you to the vast, vast majority of casks that are currently out there.
    The amount of Irish whiskey that has been aged in "other than oak" is minuscule.
    Method and Madness being the only one range that springs to mind.
    Even Mizunara is a type of oak.

Agreed, youre talking about Tequila and Mezcal casks......I could only imagine how that whiskey would taste lol.

Others listed in the article include: Calvados, barrel-aged cachaça, shochu and baijiu, as well as some other fruit spirits.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,578 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's just a list of what was allowed to have been in an oak cask before, not any other woods. Its still only oak.

L1011 wrote: »
    That's just a list of what was allowed to have been in an oak cask before, not any other woods. Its still only oak.

Ah youre right. I was reading the article in the Wall Street Journal which confused that point somewhat.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 431 ✭✭WacoKid

ZiabR wrote: »
    Big into my Whiskeys. At the moment in the cabinet I have:

Red Spot, Green Spot, Yellow Spot, Gold Label, Jamson, Middleton Rare, Bushmills, Caskmates Stout, Crown Royal, Redbreast 12, Redbreast 15, Redbreast 21. Love my Irish whiskey, never a fan of Scotch.

I recently did the Middleton Distillery tour in Cork, was an expensive day, but it was an amazing experience.

I find that the Peat Scotch can be a harsh drink, I tend to steer clear of them for the most part.

I find the Spot's sit at one end of the Irish scale and the Redbreasts at the other. Both are lovely though. I would mention Powers John Lane also, great whiskey.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Nothing beats Proper 12.

You're right Conor.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

WacoKid wrote: »
    I find the Spot's sit at one end of the Irish scale and the Redbreasts at the other. Both are lovely though. I would mention Powers John Lane also, great whiskey.

johns Lane amazing recommendation!

• Registered Users Posts: 512 ✭✭✭dvdman1

While both are great.

Overall Scotch seems to have the larger variety pleasing more tastbuds.

I do agree that you get better value on the lower end if you get an irish jameson vs bells for example.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,659 ✭✭✭2011abc

Irish all day long in practically all price brackets for me (at least up to three figures.)Not sure whats nastier , cheap scotch or most american (probably the latter )

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

The peaty overtones in Scotch whisky is not to my taste. Although I did try.

Irish whiskey all the way for me now. Now and then just to clarify!

But whatever is in the drinks press is good for a hot toddy also.

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 47,272 ✭✭✭✭Zaph

2011abc wrote: »
    Not sure whats nastier , cheap scotch or most american (probably the latter )

There are a lot of very good bourbons out there, so while the generally sweeter profile may not be too everyone's taste, describing it as nasty is way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,011 ✭✭✭Hodors Appletart

i opened a bottle of glenmorangie 10 the other evening thought it was really nice no harshness and a nice bit of sweetness i had it neat but want to add a couple of drops of water next time to open that up a bit

just to say after a few comments above not all scotch has peaty overtones only really islays stuff from the east of scotland wouldn't have that at all

• Registered Users Posts: 12 Gavin1986

As a neat or straight up drink, I prefer Scottish as is it have stronger aroma and taste. Irish is better to use as a mixer in drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

Gavin1986 wrote: »
    As a neat or straight up drink, I prefer Scottish as is it have stronger aroma and taste. Irish is better to use as a mixer in drinks.

That sounds like a bit of a generalisation to be honest.

Advertisement