Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Labour Party 2019

Options
  • 13-12-2019 5:32pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭

Throw it all in here :)

How long will Corbyn hang on*, will his cabal hang tough after he goes, how strongly will that grouping try to influence the election of his successor?

After the worst result for generations who will lead the Labour party out of the ideological abyss? Will the Parliamentary party, unions, rank and file (and special interest groups within same) be able to settle on one figure or will it be civil war?

The early runners and riders list is Keir Starmer and then mainly a pick and mix of female candidates (there seems to be pressure to elect one of them to look modern).

Sir Keir Starmer 2/1 (solid, establishment)
    Rebecca Long-Bailey 4/1 (the nearest to Corbyn)
    Jess Phillips 8/1 (centreist but a free spirit)
    Angela Rayner 10/1 (Corbynite)
    Emily Thornberry 12/1 (leftist)
    Yvette Cooper 14/1 (Blairite)
    Clive Lewis 28/1 (mainstream left)

* just seen he refuses to leave until a successor is elected which can only be bad news for the process being completely open and fair. Leave the stage Jeremy and allow a temp with no leadership ambitions to take charge.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

I'd like to see a left wing Labour party in some form. He's already said he's stepping down.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

My initial gut feeling tells me if it isnt Starmer then it will be a female leader elect. Thornberry has been plotting her route for some time so will have her supporters. Lisa Nandy fills the box not just of being a woman but a northerner as well which will stand to her, a potential left field candidate.

I like Angela Rayner personally, she's left but not radically so. Maybe next leader but one, just not this time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Labours post election meltdown is now underway

https://twitter.com/SkyNews/status/1206547642374864897

Good tactics for a potential party leader!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

My initial gut feeling tells me if it isnt Starmer then it will be a female leader elect. Thornberry has been plotting her route for some time so will have her supporters. Lisa Nandy fills the box not just of being a woman but a northerner as well which will stand to her, a potential left field candidate.

I like Angela Rayner personally, she's left but not radically so. Maybe next leader but one, just not this time.
    I think the lure of the female leader will be too hard to resist. With these contests it's all about getting blocs of votes so much deal-making ahead.

I agree with the first sentence. I think she's in the Goldilocks zone. She'd be palatable to both lefties and centrists.

I think she'll be the new leader.

• Advertisement

Lisa Nandy's odds have plummeted. She's currently second favourite. I think she was 20-odd/1 a couple of days ago. Now 7/2.

She endorsed Andy Burnham in the 2015 leadership contest.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,023 ✭✭✭✭Joe_ Public

I agree with the first sentence. I think she's in the Goldilocks zone. She'd be palatable to both lefties and centrists.

I think she'll be the new leader.

She has a chance. Comment in one newspaper over the weekend to the effect that she is one of those the conservatives would actually fear at the despatch box. Think there's going to be a lot of potential candidates though and take a while to sort out the pecking order.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,671 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

If Jess Phillips is a Centralist in the Labour party, given the hysterics over Sargon of Akkad, then God alone knows where the extremes are.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Manach wrote: »
    If Jess Phillips is a Centralist in the Labour party, given the hysterics over Sargon of Akkad, then God alone knows where the extremes are.

jess philips is what you get when you allow crazy single cat ladies into politics. Hands down the most professionally outraged person in british politics and an absolute danger to democracy.

Angela Rayner is standing aside to allow Rebecca Long-Bailey contest the leadership.

Will most likely become deputy leader if RLB wins.

Pity, I had money on her haha.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Lefty Bicek

Jess Phillips would be absolutely catastrophic for the party.

Graceless, anti-white men, and objectionable purely on the grounds of her all-women shortlist privilege.

Her visit to Somerset in the company of Rees-Mogg was pure cringe.

Vile woman.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,478 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

jess philips is what you get when you allow crazy single cat ladies into politics.

Mod note:

Per the charter:
    Keep your language civil, particularly when referring to other posters and people in the public eye. Using unsavoury language does not add to your argument. Examples would be referring to other people or groups as scumbags, crusties, sheeple, shills, trolls, traitors or saying that recently deceased people should “rot in hell” or similar. Repeated use of terms like that will result in a ban from the forum.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,557 ✭✭✭✭briany

While Phillips has the support of her constituents, I don't think she will ever be sellable to the wider electorate of England as a party leader.

What Labour has consistently been failing to do is elect a leader who can connect with the wider British public. They thought Corbyn might be able to do this, but it turned out that he was merely leading a cult within Labour. I don't really see anyone in the running who can tick that crucial box, at the minute, which means that Labour's chances come more down to the Conservatives f**king up in a way that the British public cannot forgive, and given that they've masterminded Brexit and shown no scruples over the last few years, they've set some bar for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Jess Phillips' whole patented hand wringing and emoting act shown to be just that, an act:

Compared to the live feed where's she laughing away before realising shes live and gets into character.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,609 ✭✭✭Brussels Sprout

If the Labour Party elect Rebecca Long-Bailey then it'll be indicative that they've learned absolutely nothing from this election defeat.

Having seen some of the reactions online from the Momentum types to the result, I therefore expect her to win handily.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,546 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Bambi wrote: »
    Jess Phillips' whole patented hand wringing and emoting act shown to be just that, an act:

Because displaying two different emotions when discussing about two different things means one of them must be an act?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

jess philips is what you get when you allow crazy single cat ladies into politics. Hands down the most professionally outraged person in british politics and an absolute danger to democracy.

Except she's married and has children? I'm not even a fan, just a daft comment.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭Limpy

Teflon Tony is getting plenty of air time lately. You'd swear the media like him.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,574 ✭✭✭quokula

Starmer - he's a London-centric remainer, and that's what lost them the election. As solid as he is, he sometimes comes off as robotic, and I don't think he'd withstand a campaign against the conservatives

Thornberry - much the same as Starmer, with an added element of arrogance that will turn off northern voters even more

Long Bailey - would be a great leader, is strongly behind the modern social democratic policies that are popular with the electorate when polled in isolation, but hasn't been around long enough for the Tory media to assassinate her character on past records. Good speaker and an authentic northern voice which would go down well with the voters they need to speak to

Rayner - much like Long Bailey on substance, but less polished as a speaker. The talk is that she'd be running to be deputy to Long Bailey which would make sense

Phillips - a divisive narcissist who is basically Labour's Boris, only interested in her own career. There's no way she could command support of the party without seeing a mass exodus

Cooper - she could be tainted in the eyes of the electorate as being too pro-remain, but unlike some of the others she managed to keep her profile low in the media while fighting very effectively in parliament. While she's on the right of the party, she's also shown herself to be more pragmatic than most of her peers and willing to work with others. A mature head who could be a unifying leader for the party

Lewis - a few too many skeletons in his closet have already come out in the media around things like inappropriate drunken activities. In the face of Tory media the Labour leader will need to be squeaky clean

Advertisement