Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ir tourch

• 05-12-2019 12:23am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

What is a good ir tourch for the nite site wolf id like to be abel to get a better pic at long range

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 473 ✭✭The pigeon man

The latest rave reviews are for lasers instead of ir torches. Something like the Solaris srx, Sirius xtl and pbir will give you great range.

The last two are custom built by two guys in the UK. All of the above receive great reviews compared to standard ir torches

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cz527

The latest rave reviews are for lasers instead of ir torches. Something like the Solaris srx, Sirius xtl and pbir will give you great range.

The last two are custom built by two guys in the UK. All of the above receive great reviews compared to standard ir torches
    And is the laser invisibal to the fox or can they see it

From what I have read foxes can't notice it because it's an ir laser. I have one on the way so I'll report back to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,984 ✭✭✭minktrapper

From what I have read foxes can't notice it because it's an ir laser. I have one on the way so I'll report back to you.

What kind of money are they.

What kind of money are they.

You'd be looking at €150. But it's a worthwhile investment because I'll transform how you shoot at night. You'll have much better range with the NV.

• Advertisement

Worthwhile if they can't see it. But it is still a sort of IR light. It will be very interesting to see how you get on with it. Please keep us posted. When will you have it?

I'll be hoping to get out with it next week so I'll give a review on it

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭cz527

Both a night fox xb5 ir so hopfully it will work well

• Registered Users Posts: 533 ✭✭✭tikkamark

I had 4 foxes with the new Solaris srx laser Friday night with the pard,they didn’t seem to notice the ir at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

tikkamark wrote: »
    I had 4 foxes with the new Solaris srx laser Friday night with the pard,they didn’t seem to notice the ir at all.

What kind of power do the IR lasers put out? Are there any health and safety issues, could be accidentally looking into it when it's on.

• Advertisement

Yes they can cause eye damage if you look directly. If you're able to handle a gun safely you won't have any problems with the laser. Just never look into it.

Vegeta wrote: »
    What kind of power do the IR lasers put out? Are there any health and safety issues, could be accidentally looking into it when it's on.
    They do put out a decent amount of power but you just have to use your head and treat it with respect to your own safety and the safety of others...it says on the instructions treat it like it is a firearm.
    The back of the torch lights up when it’s switched on so your fully aware it’s on so you don’t have to look anywhere near the lens to check.
    You also have to give the power button a good long press to turn it on so it doesn’t turn itself on if you accidentally hit off the button.
    An led based ir with a focus lens like a pbir or night vision store are also very powerful and can damage your eyes.....hold one of them 4” from your hand and you’ll feel the heat of the beam!

Do their eyes reflex light so that they can be seen with it ? When you switch it on do they turn their heads to look at it.

Do their eyes reflex light so that they can be seen with it ? When you switch it on do they turn their heads to look at it.
    Yeah the eyes reflect the very same.....the 4 I seen never passed much notice of it

Yeah the eyes reflect the very same.....the 4 I seen never passed much notice of it

Much notice or no notice. If they turn to look at it they can see it.

Much notice or no notice. If they turn to look at it they can see it.
    If they turn to look how do you know if they are looking at your outline or your ir?
    The only night vision that is going to be totally invisible to them is tubed image intensifier nv or thermal

If they turn to look how do you know if they are looking at your outline or your ir?
    The only night vision that is going to be totally invisible to them is tubed image intensifier nv or thermal

Agree with you there. If you are hidden though you should notice whether they can see it or not. I have often noticed foxs to turn and stare at the ir even though they were travelling away from me. I was very well hidden at the time.

What I did notice lately was where one came through a gateway from my left side and took no notice whatsoever of the ir.

Thermal is probably the best NV out there only very expensive.

I will have to get out shooting foxes over the Christmas but I have nothing but praise for the Sirius xtl and Solaris srx illuminators.

The Sirius is custom built by Ian Sirrel in the uk. It is available with either a domed head or standard. The domed head removes the dark circle at the centre of the beam. This causes a slight loss of intensity compared to the standard version. Very well built and has three different brightness modes.

The Solaris srx is also very impressive. It comes in a nice box, with a cable to attach the on/off button near the trigger. It also has a light red light to tell you when the ir is on. I noticed when the beam is on the widest flood it has a dark circle in the middle. This can be removed by giving focusing the head. It also has a dial on the rear that you can twist to adjust the intensity of the beam.

As I have not tried them on foxes I can't comment on whether foxes can see them or not. But I would imagine they would be far less visible than a standard lamp.

The Solaris is definitely lighter. overall I think whichever one you buy you'll be very happy.

The Solaris srx is available for £135

The sirius xtl is £125 in the standard version and £140 in the domed version.

The domed version is highly recommended for the higher end night vision units as they are very ir sensitive and will pick up the imperfections of the standard Sirius.

How are ye getting on with the new illuminators.

How are ye getting on with the new illuminators.

They're a great job in fairness. I can really crank up the zoom and get a clear picture with plenty of illumination.

They are really a world apart from a basic NV torch.

When I shine either of them and I'm looking through my handheld NV they look like light savers cutting through the air.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 543 ✭✭✭Sika98k

Foxes see the glow given off by any IR, be it laser, 850, or 940. Ok,they don’t take as much notice of it as say a white light and often they don’t pay any attention to it but it is visible to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,025 ✭✭✭clivej

Sika98k wrote: »
    Foxes see the glow given off by any IR, be it laser, 850, or 940. Ok,they don’t take as much notice of it as say a white light and often they don’t pay any attention to it but it is visible to them.

I thought the 940 IR was invisible, it is on my Trail Camera.
    How can you tell that foxes can see the 940 IR?

Advertisement