Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ireland Team Talk XI: Team of nervoUS MOD warning Post 1

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,428 ✭✭✭Paul Smeenus

mfceiling wrote: »
    Still puts a shiver up my spine.

Superb.

And leads seamlessly to one of my most "no, rugby IS better than other sports" quotes - when they were getting back up after that, the young Welsh FB said, "welcome back".

Zzippy wrote: »
    John Cooney is in unbelievable from this season. Has to be in the squad and with a very good chance of the starting jersey

Without mentioning Peter O'Mahony it's become a very tight field at 9.

Murray has drifted back from his unplayable best, he's still performing well enough to be picked as the starting 9 without raising too many eyebrows but he's definitely been reeled in by the chasing pack.

Cooney looks incredibly dynamic this season and he mirrors Murray's ability to place kick reasonably well.

McGrath seemed the heir apparent after the world cup but he is in a tussle with Jameson Gibson Park for the starting jersey at Leinster and I can't see a provincial 2 starting as a national 1 unless the provincial 1 is Faf deKlerk.

And that also points to the form of JGP. He's so smart around the breakdown and Leinster seem to get more out of him off set piece ball. I think Jameson just has a bit more timing and nuance to his distribution game, whereas McGrath is a better defender and box kicker. Very representative strengths of the hemispherical competition between both players styles.

And then there is Marmion. Everyone would have bet their Granny he'd be back up to Murray for Japan. He is an All Black beating 9. Despite that he sat out the World Cup and has missed the start of the season so has little skin in the game right now.

Again, without bringing up Peter O'Mahony, the competition to be the starting Irish scrum half is probably as contended as it's ever been.

Murray has drifted back from his unplayable best, he's still performing well enough to be picked as the starting 9 without raising too many eyebrows but he's definitely been reeled in by the chasing pack.

Cooney looks incredibly dynamic this season and he mirrors Murray's ability to place kick reasonably well.

McGrath seemed the heir apparent after the world cup but he is in a tussle with Jameson Gibson Park for the starting jersey at Leinster and I can't see a provincial 2 starting as a national 1 unless the provincial 1 is Faf deKlerk.

And that also points to the form of JGP. He's so smart around the breakdown and Leinster seem to get more out of him off set piece ball. I think Jameson just has a bit more timing and nuance to his distribution game, whereas McGrath is a better defender and box kicker. Very representative strengths of the hemispherical competition between both players styles.

And then there is Marmion. Everyone would have bet their Granny he'd be back up to Murray for Japan. He is an All Black beating 9. Despite that he sat out the World Cup and has missed the start of the season so has little skin in the game right now.

Again, without bringing up Peter O'Mahony, the competition to be the starting Irish scrum half is probably as contended as it's ever been.

What if there were multiple injuries and we had to play...say... one of our blindsides at scrumhalf?

ANY THOUGHTS, VENJUR?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

What if there were multiple injuries and we had to play...say... one of our blindsides at scrumhalf?

ANY THOUGHTS, VENJUR?

CJ Saviour!!

ANY THOUGHTS, VENJUR?

I would obviously pick someone who is good at intentionally winding up other teams, getting in their faces and generally having handbags.

Someone like Tommy O'Donnell.

• Advertisement

I would obviously pick someone who is good at intentionally winding up other teams, getting in their faces and generally having handbags.

Someone like Tommy O'Donnell.

You don't want a scrumhalf that's good in the lineout?

You don't want a scrumhalf that's good in the lineout?

CYPLcP5.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 7,047 ✭✭✭Bazzo

Caolin Blade has been very very good this season(and last). I'm a pyjama wearing Marmion fan but he has a job to get the starting jersey back from Blade, and he is 100% as deserving as any of the others to be in the squad. Also the youngest of the bunch.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Jump_In_Jack

Think people are forgetting how good Tadhg Beirne is at 6.
    I’d let him play lock at Munster and 6 for Ireland.
    Glad to see Munster are selecting Beirne at 6 and O’Mahony at 7 against Saracens.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

Beirne has never impressed with Ireland. That could be down to the more attritional style we played under Schmidt, that didn't allow him to use his best attributes. Or it could be that he's simply too lightweight for test rugby. But no matter the reason he's still down the list of potential starters for 6 or at lock.

• Advertisement

Clegg wrote: »
    Beirne has never impressed with Ireland. That could be down to the more attritional style we played under Schmidt, that didn't allow him to use his best attributes. Or it could be that he's simply too lightweight for test rugby. But no matter the reason he's still down the list of potential starters for 6 or at lock.

You can’t say he’s lightweight as a 6, he’s much bigger than O’Mahony.
    Maybe as a lock, but even then he’s plenty big enough for test rugby.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

You can’t say he’s lightweight as a 6, he’s much bigger than O’Mahony.
    Maybe as a lock, but even then he’s plenty big enough for test rugby.

But he gets pushed around a lot easier than POM does.

Lightweight does not mean he’s not big enough.

Faugheen wrote: »
    But he gets pushed around a lot easier than POM does.

Lightweight does not mean he’s not big enough.

That’s just not true at all.
    If he gets a run of games at 6 I’m hopeful he can get back to the level he was at before he moved to Munster.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Think people are forgetting how good Tadhg Beirne is at 6.
    I’d let him play lock at Munster and 6 for Ireland.
    Glad to see Munster are selecting Beirne at 6 and O’Mahony at 7 against Saracens.

Hard to forget something that's not a reality. The best thing I can say about Beirne, is that he's not Kleyn. Utterly anonymous in green, marginally better in red.

That’s just not true at all.
    If he gets a run of games at 6 I’m hopeful he can get back to the level he was at before he moved to Munster.

I was going to reply for this but the lad’s just after getting a potentially bad ankle injury. Not keen on going into it now and hope he can recover swiftly.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,107 ✭✭✭✭AbusesToilets

Hard to look past Leinster for the majority of the team currently. Hendo in the row is about it in the pack for me. Stockdale and Conway in the backs, Cooney of course, Marmion also possibly.

Hard to look past Leinster for the majority of the team currently. Hendo in the row is about it in the pack for me. Stockdale and Conway in the backs, Cooney of course, Marmion also possibly.

More than happy for Stander to continue playing at 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

For me at the moment it is a throw up between Cooney at 9 and rewarding him for his exceptional form. Or if they are taking a long term view then it has to be Blade. Or maybe start Cooney and keep Blade on bench.

I just don't see Murray playing well enough now to start,he is better and his form is returning but I still think the other two are better options.

At 10, if Carbery is fit then he starts. If not, well I think people know who I would like

Stockdale at 15 is interesting, he played very well last night. At one stage we couldn't replace Rob and now we have a few running for 15. I still think Larmour has to start with Stockdale on wing. Haley is not far behind.

Wing for me is a toss up between Conway/Stockdale/Earls with D Kearney backing them up.

Back row, well for me it would be Ruddock, VDF, Stander. Most other roles pick themselves. Furlong v Porter is interesting. Furlong looked to be back in form....a rest over Christmas and he could be starting. If not then if Porter continues he will start.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,625 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

Feals like deja-vu - World cup over and most Irish players back to playing ther best - is the pressure cooker of a world cup they can't handle or was it poor selections - I wonder will I ever see an Irish team perform consistently at a WC

thebaz wrote: »
    Feals like deja-vu - World cup over and most Irish players back to playing ther best - is the pressure cooker of a world cup they can't handle or was it poor selections - I wonder will I ever see an Irish team perform consistently at a WC

I think in 2015 we had a major hang over....

In 2019 it doesn’t seem to be the case which suggests the system and selection was wrong and the players where in form...Similar to after 2011

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 41,302 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

thebaz wrote: »

At RWC times other counties get their players to the same degree we get ours, therefore our USP at club level, and at 6N level is greatly reduced.

We are not as good as we think we are, and at RWC times we have not been one of the top four teams in the world, therefore we've never made an RWC semi final.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Based on 4 rounds of Europe

Healy Kelleher Furlong Ryan Henderson Stander VDF Doris
    Cooney Byrne Stockdale Aki Ringrose Conway Larmour

• Registered Users Posts: 1,248 ✭✭✭kingofthekong

Yep

Doris needs to play, 8. Doris, CJ 6, VDF 7

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    Based on 4 rounds of Europe

Healy Kelleher Furlong Ryan Henderson Stander VDF Doris
    Cooney Byrne Stockdale Aki Ringrose Conway Larmour

Porter for Furlong would be only change but not much in it

• Registered Users Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Shefwedfan wrote: »
    Porter for Furlong would be only change but not much in it

Furlong was very good tonight. Think we saw a reaction to his omission last week. Think it was something Joe needed to do in the 6n this year to light a fire under a few players.

McCloskey / Aki was a 50-50 call

I hope Ross Byrne gets a chance to start a game in the 6n.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Dubinusa

Think Byrne is the frontrunner now. His calmness and confidence are unreal. Burns is right there too. With Sexton out, there is a chance for the chasing pack to stake a claim. Carberry needs to perform. Farrell should not bring him back in unless he's performing and controlling games.
    Still think Scannell will get the nod at hooker. He's been very solid so far.
    James Ryan could wear a sportbra a mini skirt, heels and fishnets and he still starts. All while playing, of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,968 ✭✭✭✭Clegg

We've a conundrum in the backrow. It's clear that our starting trio of POM, VDF and Stander didnt work well at the World Cup. Stander has played pretty well for Munster since returning and VDF is playing the best rugby of anyone in Ireland right now. I'd say PoM deserves dropping, but so many people are advocating his credentials as a captain. The next problem is that if he's not starting it's pointless having him as a sub so he's out of the 23 altogether. Don't know if Farrell would be brave enough for that.

I'd go a bit left field and move Stander to 6 and bring Doris right in. Do what Schmidt did in 2017/18 and parachute the young guns straight into the side. If you're good enough, lack of experience doesn't matter

• Registered Users Posts: 6,200 ✭✭✭troyzer

Clegg wrote: »
    We've a conundrum in the backrow. It's clear that our starting trio of POM, VDF and Stander didnt work well at the World Cup. Stander has played pretty well for Munster since returning and VDF is playing the best rugby of anyone in Ireland right now. I'd say PoM deserves dropping, but so many people are advocating his credentials as a captain. The next problem is that if he's not starting it's pointless having him as a sub so he's out of the 23 altogether. Don't know if Farrell would be brave enough for that.

I'd go a bit left field and move Stander to 6 and bring Doris right in. Do what Schmidt did in 2017/18 and parachute the young guns straight into the side. If you're good enough, lack of experience doesn't matter

I'd love to see a positive argument for POM's inclusion. He's been poor for ages.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 93 ✭✭Felix Jones is God.

troyzer wrote: »
    I'd love to see a positive argument for POM's inclusion. He's been poor for ages.

Only in boards posters eyes.... in Joe's and Andy's eyes he's been a demigod, and that's all that matters

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,759 ✭✭✭P.Walnuts

Only in boards posters eyes.... in Joe's and Andy's eyes he's been a demigod, and that's all that matters

:pac:

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement