Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Worried I won't be able to sell

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

Based on your post and I haven’t had the advantage of seeing the photos, the biggest deterrent for me would be the fact it backs onto an industrial estate and the small windows which would mean house could lack light. Light is the biggest selling point for me , it’s really important. Tired, dull, old fixtures, fittings and furniture can all be fixed but if the surrounds aren’t great and the quality of the house can’t compete with new builds, I’d be reducing the price right down and selling as fast as possible.

I’ve had to reduce prices down (I’ve bought and sold 5houses myself ) and I feel it’s sometimes better to shift a house that has issues rather than cling on to the thought of getting a higher price but nobody is interested. I’ve never regretted the decision either.

Tbh I have never once considered that having a warehouse yard behind me would be an issue. I guess it was never an issue for me and I was delighted to not be overlooked at the back. It's a very quiet business and there's never any noise. I absolutely hate being overlooked and I skip past any house that is while I guess that's obviously not an issue for many given the high density of many housing estates and being on top of one another. Different strokes for different folks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,121 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Using the info you gave, I see the house on myhome and the bus on the satellite view.

Interestingly, if I go to mapview in the myhome listing, your place does not show up and gives the error message 'Agent has not mapped this property correctly'.

I would be kicking the EA's backside about that. Very sloppy. It's not going to be the reason it's not selling, but very many people use the map view function on myhome to see properties near to others they have looked at.

It doesn't show on the main map for your town if you search that way either.

**edit. It shows fine on the mapview on daft.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 2,432 ✭✭✭SusanC10

Mike3549 wrote: »
    You said this happened last year. A lot has changed in the last 12 months.

Point taken.

Why a house be vacant in an other wise healthy economy. It seems long term vacant because the garden is in a state. Assuming it is either semi-detached or in a terrace that is not a feature I would find attractive. Ideally you want a tenant/relative in immediately for loads of reasons (security, maintenance, image).

People in a Nursing Home using Fair Deal is one reason anyway. May not apply in this instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

SusanC10 wrote: »
    People in a Nursing Home using Fair Deal is one reason anyway. May not apply in this instance.

Cant you get a tenant or relative in while this is happening? My impression of Nursing homes is when you go in you generally dont come out. That is no excuse for not upkeeping the house and garden.

• Advertisement

Cant you get a tenant or relative in while this is happening? My impression of Nursing homes is when you go in you generally dont come out. That is no excuse for not upkeeping the house and garden.

You can but then will need to deal with Tax Returns etc and the Fair Deal will take a %. Some older people don't want anyone living in their home. Some have dementia and can't enter into a lease. Some have no immediate family. You see this kind of vacant house a lot especially in rural locations.

Sorry for derailing. None of this is helping the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,816 ✭✭✭skooterblue2

You can but then will need to deal with Tax Returns etc and the Fair Deal will take a %. Some older people don't want anyone living in their home. Some have dementia and can't enter into a lease. Some have no immediate family. You see this kind of vacant house a lot especially in rural locations.

Sorry for derailing. None of this is helping the OP.

Still no excuse for not upkeeping the garden, washing the windows and a dash of paint now and again. Now that you mention it I would be digging my own grave if I admitted that I wouldnt be coming out of the nursing home. It would be like saying I am content with dying. Maybe not the most logical but if I was in a nursing home I wouldnt like anyone in my home.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Tbh, I would just drop the asking price rather than taking on more debt in trying to do it up. Know that is not the popular opinion here.

An ex-rental close to us sold last year. Would have been late 90s construction. The owners just emptied and professionally cleaned it and although it was on the market for a few months, it did sell for just 5k under a realistic asking price. New owners completely gutted it. They were down-sizing not FTBs.

I would be looking at getting in a decent photographer who can make the pictures more attractive and stage the place first. Fluffy pillows and a well made bed rather than a stripped matress move a bedroom from a sad to a happy place. How and why are the pictures showing the bad/ugly bits?

And OP, you need to get someone else to review them as the current pics were approved by you. Someone who is acting like a buyer rather than a seller and in IMHO that is an EA job. If you are open to realistic advice on how to sell the property thr EA should be the first person to give it because that's where they earn their money.

You are selling the most expensive thing that most people will ever own, you need to put yourself into the buyers shoes. To do that you need to understand who your buyer will be and that why you employed an EA

And look at the realistic price before investing more money in the property.
    A sit down with the Estate agent on what has been selling and why is needed.
    Exactly what places has the agent closed the deal on in the last year?
    What would they valuing it as a investment rental property and how are they making the calculation?

Understand their sales technique if the BER is "not important" in the eyes of the EA when there are 2 "exact" properties on their books but one has an C rating and another a F rating which are they promoting more the C or the F house?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

Tbh, I would just drop the asking price rather than taking on more debt in trying to do it up. Know that is not the popular opinion here.

An ex-rental close to us sold last year. Would have been late 90s construction. The owners just emptied and professionally cleaned it and although it was on the market for a few months, it did sell for just 5k under a realistic asking price. New owners completely gutted it. They were down-sizing not FTBs.

I would agree with the above. Get it off your back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,576 ✭✭✭Glass fused light

Cat_M wrote: »
    Tbh I have never once considered that having a warehouse yard behind me would be an issue. I guess it was never an issue for me and I was delighted to not be overlooked at the back. It's a very quiet business and there's never any noise. I absolutely hate being overlooked and I skip past any house that is while I guess that's obviously not an issue for many given the high density of many housing estates and being on top of one another. Different strokes for different folks.

2 local houses.

First one was on the market for about 2-3 years and it looks like it may have been sold rather than being rented.
    Second one was on for about 5 months it's currently into month 3 of a total revamp

The big difference was the first had a farmyard along side a boundary.
    That's 24/7 access and 24/7 potential noise pollution.

You are in compition with 12 other houses and new builds, the wearhouse is a unknown.

spurious wrote: »
    Using the info you gave, I see the house on myhome and the bus on the satellite view.

Interestingly, if I go to mapview in the myhome listing, your place does not show up and gives the error message 'Agent has not mapped this property correctly'.

I would be kicking the EA's backside about that. Very sloppy. It's not going to be the reason it's not selling, but very many people use the map view function on myhome to see properties near to others they have looked at.

It doesn't show on the main map for your town if you search that way either.

**edit. It shows fine on the mapview on daft.ie

^^ looks like your agent is part of the problem not part of the solution.

But if its you, with this ^^ you are invisable to all the people with 50k extra who are looking to buy in the area.

• Advertisement

Why a house be vacant in an other wise healthy economy. It seems long term vacant because the garden is in a state. Assuming it is either semi-detached or in a terrace that is not a feature I would find attractive. Ideally you want a tenant/relative in immediately for loads of reasons (security, maintenance, image).

I would dispute the idea that housing is the only problem.

Sure some people won't get past the superficial. But many people will see past that. Older places aren't selling as well because of the broken market. Lots of real issues that the govt is ignoring.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Addle wrote: »
    But why would someone buy a grubby house that they can’t immediately move into because they’ll have to do work, when they can move in to a fresh new one down the road. That has a value.

You CAN move into Cats house.

You might want to do work to it over time but it sounds like you won't need to do it before moving in.

Unless ive misinterpreted something

• Registered Users Posts: 932 ✭✭✭Mike3549

Op, just checked one house on daft that matches your description. If its your house then it needs new pictures and to redecorate the whole interior, needs a bit of womans touch. Place looks empty, no curtains, needs some more pictures on the shelves and walls, flowers, put beds in empty bedrooms, couch and other furniture looks dated, you can get decent furniture from adverts for free or a fraction of a price, you can resell them later. Is that a tv stand on the wall in the dining room? Take it off. Cut the grass. Living room needs to look livable, get a second hand tv stand with television, some bookcases, coffee table. Fix that broken panel in the kitchen next to dishwasher. Wide angle lenses do wonders with nicely decorated places, but in this case it made more damage than good. Id better spend 1k redecorating the place first. Look at other ads, showhouses or family homes, just to get the idea.
    That bus and industrial estate doesnt look bad on google maps.

I do appreciate all the advice however varied it is. Is there any way to do a poll that looks for a vote on whether to sell completely empty or sell furnished to replicate nicely lived in? Either will be a hassle from a long distance as to empty means trying to give away / sell what's already there and to refurbish is also tricky when extremely time poor but I need this place off my back. When I was buying I bidded on both empty and furnished including very so-called "tired and out of date " houses at that time as I was so keen to buy. Got out-bid on several before I actually bought and I was so delighted. Times really have changed as I was not the only one who bought houses needing TLC. So I don't really have a preference as when I was a buyer I tried to buy both.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 391 ✭✭Professor Genius

I do appreciate all the advice however varied it is. Is there any way to do a poll that looks for a vote on whether to sell completely empty or sell furnished to replicate nicely lived in? Either will be a hassle from a long distance as to empty means trying to give away / sell what's already there and to refurbish is also tricky when extremely time poor but I need this place off my back. When I was buying I bidded on both empty and furnished including very so-called "tired and out of date " houses at that time as I was so keen to buy. Got out-bid on several before I actually bought and I was so delighted. Times really have changed as I was not the only one who bought houses needing TLC. So I don't really have a preference as when I was a buyer I tried to buy both.

Put up a link and you will get proper advice.

Put up a link and you will get proper advice.

Completely agree. Impossible to give advice without seeing property. Everything else is just speculation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭73trix

I sympathise OP, if you need to sell. You were of the understanding that your house would be snapped up last year and made your decision to sell based on that advice. A year has passed and it would appear that you have unfortunately missed the boat. It must be very stressful for you.

Many are arguing that your buyers are not seeing the bus etc because they are not turning up to view it because of the wrong price and/ or the impression from the photos. People can see an awful lot about your house without leaving their living room. They can get street view and satellite view. They can see all of these things without ever going through your door. If you have an industrial estate behind you, that might put some people off straight away and they can see that online.

Your EA doesn't seem to be helping much and very hands off. Have they made any suggestions at all about whether you need to improve the property or why it's not getting the interest? You mentioned that they advised against doing any work. My guess is that there are larger issues at play than the out of date furniture/decor if I'm honest like why the house next door is vacant and the impression that is giving. I don't agree that you should be spending much money on refurb. I would consider doing the fascia/ soffit though as coming into winter again, it's probably not doing your house any good and drawing attention to what issues that it might already be causing, leaving it as it is. If you do decide to let it out again, you will be needing to maintain this property for the long haul potentially.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

Okay. An hour from Dublin. Mins from M3. 4 bedrooms. Asking price has been dropped from 220 to 210. It was valued at 245/50 a year agovanf pitched to sell easily.

Took a look at it from the perspective of if I was buying.

Backs onto a industrial estate.
    225k for a 130 square meter house last December in the same estate, with a high standard of finish, not beside a industrial estate.
    House needs work, it's not a good fit or finish. Its livable but clearly a ex rental.
    Location is not there in myhome, lots of people use this to find properties in the "area".
    It's a 4 bed yes, but it's also one of the smallest in the general area. It's really competing with 3 beds in terms of size.
    Its been up for far too long, you lost all the initial interest in a new property, now people are looking for the reasons why it's been up for so long.

Considering the area in general(I'm not from there), just a little bit extra money goes a long way in terms of what your buying. If I lived there, I would be pushing hard to get the money together to get close to the 250-300k price bracket and just ignore that end of the market.

I can't see you getting any return by fixing it, it's just overpriced. Right now, I can't see much growth continuing in the commuter towns either, if South Dublin is stalling, the rest are following.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Kamili

I have to add to what others have said about the pictures, the are horrendous. Extremely bad, low quality and in no way sell the house. As a buyer myself that is the first thing that puts me off. Whatever camera was used must be very bad quality and looks like they have been edited to brighten them after they were taken. Id want to study the pictures to garner what I can from them, and that low quality is just offputting. Agent didn't care enough to take decent photos at all.

The skirting boards are filthy, the bathroom needs a good clean. It clearly looks like an ex rental. There seems to be paint marks on the floor.

I'd be having serious words with the estate agent over that, coupled with the fact that its not mapped properly at all on myhome.

Daft.ie seems to be doing upgrades at the moment and their search function is appallingly bad, which is pushing people to myhome.ie now too.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lunamoon

Can you PM a link to it as well please?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,179 ✭✭✭Mango Joe

Please do not go into debt to sell this house!!

Sell it at market value, remove this millstone around your neck and go live the rest of your life.

PS That Estate Agent gave your terrible advice, Estate Agents in general are self-interested gobs1tes at best, odious at worst.

PPS OP stick up a link here, you might even sell it off boards.ie - If you're worried about what you've mentioned about your neighbours then don't be - You've been nothing but reasonable and tolerant of Bus Eireann Billy etc.

PPPS You also come across as too passive - Stop the hand-wringing and start doing things. Get up at 6am next Sat and you'll be there for 9am heave a load of effort into this house using the local B&Q or wherever as your supply point - Make stuff happen instead of crying about Estate Agents not waving magic wands for you.

* Someone please PM me a link to this house too!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,778 ✭✭✭snowgal

lunamoon wrote: »

if someone/OP could pm me the link, Id like to have a look too. This is exactly what we are looking at buying t the moment. We're long term renters who've been given our notice and will be looking to buy whenever we can...We dont want a brand new house, we are looking at a decent 2nd hand, with a decent sized garden....So Ive been doing alot of searching and looking at properties like yours Id say. If you're looking for an opinion I can give me views....

I have an interest in buying and selling houses and have been successful selling 3 properties on my own without Estate agents - can you PM me a link?

Those two houses bet into the corner are a disgrace.
    Looks like it was supposed to be one plot but a semi D was shoehorned in.
    One drive for 2 houses originally ??
    really lowers the tone of what looks like a nicely kept estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 leburg

lunamoon wrote: »

Yea can someone PM me the link I haven’t been able to find it.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

Folks, please do not request or share links to the house under discussion.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,382 ✭✭✭1874

Originally Posted by homer911 viewpost.gif
    I'm pretty sure the parking of commercial vehicles at a residential premises is prohibited
    Edgware wrote: »
    No its not.

Well parking of HGVs is, I dont think people would be concerned about in use working vehicles, but a bus or a truck or scrap is different.

Marcusm wrote: »
    The parking of a commercial vehicle which is subordinate to occupation of the house is permitted under residential property use but use of an empty property for the parking of a commercial vehicle who's use is not tied to the property is not using the property for residential purposes and is unauthorised development and not permitted.

This is something Im interested in, you're saying that the parking of a commercial vehicle (do you mean a van?) suggesting a commercial vehicle suggests its functional?

Marcusm wrote: »
    The property presumable has an existing residential planning permission. If it is being used solely for the parking of a commercial bus then that is a material change of use. It has become a car park, that is not a residential use. Different issue arises if the driver or owner occupied the house and the parking of the vehicle is ancillary to his use of the premises as a dwelling.

Section 3(2)(b)(iii) of the Planning a& Development Act 2000.

Thank you, just read that, thats what Im looking for, now who enforces it?
    It appears to say in
    (iii) the deposit of vehicles whether or not usable for the purpose for which they were constructed or last used

That scrap vehicles cannot be kept on a property?

Dav010 wrote: »
    Doesn’t that relate to depositing vehicles, not parking those used on a daily basis?.

“the deposit of vehicles whether or not usable for the purpose for which they were constructed or last used, old metal, mining or industrial waste, builders' waste, rubbish, debris..”

Where’s the bit about having to reside there? I don’t see how this could be considered as a commercial premises just because the owner parks his bus there after he finishes, he is parking in his own driveway. Would the section you quoted not relate more to scrap vehicles?

If it does, Im happier than I was before I read it, who enforces these things? the local Authority?

faceman wrote: »
    The bus next door is unlikely to be putting off people, if you’re not getting viewings then they’re likely not seeing it anyway. Either way unless they hear you have a problematic neighbour, which you don’t, then it’s not an issue.

With total respect OP and without having read the ad, it sounds like your property is well overdue a make over. If you’re competing against lots of new builds then your competition is ahead of you. Most FTB won’t want to buy a project

I also agree with the advice re a local EA. But other than that the only thing that’s remaining is the property is over priced.

I disagree significantly, if anyone saw a bus parked up in a neighbouring property, they would surely choose another property if all other things were equal, now I havent seen pictures so its possible other things may need to be done, IMO thats a significant issue, depending on the local Authority the bye laws may vary, I know in some Council areas its contrary to local bye laws to park HGVs, other categories may fall under that too, we had a guy parking a rigid truck and an artic cab in the estate, completely out of order IMO.
    The OP sounds like they are stuck between a rock and a hard place, agent doesnt seem to be doing much, cant dispute with neighbour if not nearby to secure property, Id definitely clean it up as much as possible.

So is it over priced because it needs a makeover? So I spend a couple of grand on it and update the kitchen somewhat and replace the soffit and fascia. Then what? Keep current asking price on the basis of a refurb or is it a case of taking a discount AND spending money on it? Are there no people out there who can't afford the new builds cos they are 50/60K dearer but would take a much cheaper house and allow for replacing a kitchen, let's say for less than 10K?. We would like to buy and will not be seeking a perfect 2nd hand house by any stretch and would expect to have to refurb at some point when we can afford it. I was a first-time buyer too and I did update over time when I had a bit of money. EA said at the start that people now want "new houses at second hand prices. " Isn't there anyone else out there wanting a second hand house that might need an upgrade? When I was getting it painted etc all the people who said, don't spend any money, people want a blank canvas. Don't replace the presses, the next people might rip the lot out, etc, etc. Where are they? I thought the apparent refurb issues would be factored into the price or that's what I was led to believe. The new builds are on top of each other, have post stamp gardens etc and nowhere as close to town and probably have barely room for one car.

IMO, if the soffits are bad its worth doing, Im debating whether to replace a kitchen myself, and after reading this thread I think I will (I was recommended not to), but I live in my house, wont get much use from it if I end up selling, but if I dont at least its new and refreshed, I dont think I'll recover the cash (and thats what I was told by an EA), I still think I am in more of a high interest area schools/transport links, but I think it will generate more interest havin a kitchen done, got prices from 3.5k to 10k Instead Im only refreshing the bathroom/ensuite though.

JoeyJJ wrote: »
    I think Kitchens, bathrooms etc there is probably some reason not to spend money on it however Facias don't really provide too many design decisions. I would replace them as it may also lead to bird infestation or damage due to water running down if really badly damaged.
    Got mine done and it really brought up the look of the house.

I disagree, it can really refresh the house up front, it costs a lot less than a kitchen replacement.

Definitely, tell that to every builder, painter, plasterer, courier, electrician etc etc that they can’t park their van on their drive anymore or a farmer that he can’t park his Landcruiser at the house anymore....

I dont think anyone is complaining about vans in use, a HGV/bus is a bit of a different situation.

Update. House is sold! Literally days after my last post, I dropped price by 10K and was sale agreed in days. It was a quick sale and I didn't need to do another thing with it. Buyers were super keen, apparently didn't care about the concerns identified by myself and flaws flagged by the posters who found the advert. So those who advised that the initial price was wrong, were absolutely right. A couple are delighted with their new home before Xmas.

A bit less in the bank account than originally thought but now I'm so happy and relieved! Happy Christmas! 🀗

• Registered Users Posts: 9,152 ✭✭✭limnam

limnam wrote: »
    Is it priced correctly?

Just about every reason a house is not selling can be fixed with price.

• Advertisement

limnam wrote: »
    Just about every reason a house is not selling can be fixed with price.

Exactly

Advertisement