Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best supermarket for white grapefruit juice?

Options
  • 11-12-2019 10:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭

I've tried Tesco where I normally shop and can only get pink grapefruit juice.
    The Dunnes here is very small so that may be no good as I there have been lots of items that I used to buy in a larger Dunnes in a different town that are not stocked.
    I'd rather not spend loads of time looking in both Aldi and Lidl so if anyone knows if either of them normally stock it that would be great.
    Also would be best if it's not from concentrate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭LJ3103

tuxy wrote: »
    I've tried Tesco where I normally shop and can only get pink grapefruit juice.
    The Dunnes here is very small so that may be no good as I there have been lots of items that I used to buy in a larger Dunnes in a different town that are not stocked.
    I'd rather not spend loads of time looking in both Aldi and Lidl so if anyone knows if either of them normally stock it that would be great.
    Also would be best if it's not from concentrate.

Try some of the polish / Eastern European shops. Polostores in particular carry a wide variety of juices that are not in the usual supermarkets

• Registered Users Posts: 25,346 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

I used to squeeze a white grapefruit for breakfast about twice a week (oranges on the other days), they're difficult to find these days. The last time I tasted Tropicana grapefuit juice, I was amazed that it tasted exactly like the real thing - the only time I've had that experience with any packaged juice.

They've now adopted the US name ' golden grapefruit'....

https://tropicana.co.uk/our-products/our-classic-fruit-juices/golden-grapefruit/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,782 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

It's funny how pink grapefruit has almost completely replaced grapefruit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

coylemj wrote: »
    I used to squeeze a white grapefruit for breakfast about twice a week (oranges on the other days), they're difficult to find these days. The last time I tasted Tropicana grapefuit juice, I was amazed that it tasted exactly like the real thing - the only time I've had that experience with any packaged juice.

They've now adopted the US name ' golden grapefruit'....

https://tropicana.co.uk/our-products/our-classic-fruit-juices/golden-grapefruit/

That's what's in my local Tesco only it's pink :(
    It's funny how pink grapefruit has almost completely replaced grapefruit.

If by funny you mean annoying :)

Thanks for the replies I'll try the local polski sklep.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

I got tins of unsweetened grapefruit segments and whizzed them with a stick blender when I couldn't find the juice. I mix grapefruit juice with fizzy water, so that was fine, but maybe it'd be too thick to drink neat.

• Advertisement

I've not tried to drink it like that, sounds good though.
    Is there really no demand for this, is that why it's not stocked anywhere?
    I really enjoy drinks that are bitter and that's why I miss being able to pick this up easily.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭tangy

Agreed.

I think the problem with grapefruit - and its juice - is statins. They're heavily prescribed, but grapefruit conflicts with them, so demand has fallen.

That's a good point. There are actually a large variety of medications that grapefruit juice interacts with, especially white grapefruit juice.
    Something to do with an enzyme that is preset in the juice that will drastically reduce the livers ability to process many medications.
    People should be aware of that as it can be dangerous.

Advertisement