Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indiependence Festival 2020

• 19-11-2019 10:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭

"Acts coming real soon" ….

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,210 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Still nothing ….. :/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭BullBlackNova

They just tweeted a few minutes ago that the announcement will be coming at 6pm today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

First head is Sigrid

• Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭BadTurtle

Indie tends to book acts based on their connection to a leaving cert aged crowd.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Furious-Red

Headliner number 2 at 6pm. I have a feeling they are going nab Foals(since i know they have been looking to book them for years)

• Advertisement

Headliner number 2 at 6pm. I have a feeling they are going nab Foals(since i know they have been looking to book them for years)

Surely not.
    My fingers are crossed for Foals for ATN, crowd would be more interested.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

Bit of a tangent here but are you guys confident
    that they will solve the sh*t-show that was last year?

Despite being interested in trying ATN since it started
    I'm sticking with EP this year due to the issues last year,
    I get the idea that the traffic is unsolvable unless they
    build new roads!

not being negative but personally
    i would not get over sitting in my car for hours
    it would ruin the weekend

cheers

build new roads!

cheers

Plenty of discussion about this in the ATN and EP threads this year already but will try to distil my thoughts...

The traffic was a mess but I was lucky enough not to experience it. We sailed in and out on both sides without a hint of a delay. We left early, arrived early as did *plenty* of others.

There were minor issues inside - like the rubbish and the food queues - but they weren't unusual by the standards of any festival.

I think a lot of the minor issues that people had have been magnified by weather - it's a lot easier to laugh off a long queue for a burger when you're having pints in the sun with your friends but when you're sitting in the rain or stuck in a tent, it's miserable.

The weather is not the organisers' fault.

Most of the people I met at ATN last year were enjoying themselves. Even those who had been stuck in cars weren't talking about it by Saturday afternoon or Sunday. The Facebook comments, the media focus and the weeklong argument on Joe Duffy fuelled the conversation around it but I think it is a stretch to say it ruined weekends. Some people were wearing it as a badge of honour by the second day - "you made it in with no traffic? I got here at 10pm AND had six cans before Orbital started!"

The festival itself was fun - it was a nice size with a great crowd. I can't make it back for 2020 as I've something on that weekend but if the line-up was to my taste, I wouldn't have hesitated to go for a second.

And, finally, I don't think the traffic is unsolvable without roads. A lot of the issues seemed to stem from poor planning - a lack of park and ride options, poor directions being issued, and unprepared/slow staff on the parking side of things. A lot of that is easily resolved, I would think. If they opted to open the site on a Thursday night (I know, not always possible), they could remove another chunk of traffic too.

The traffic was caused by :

Gig goers just going to Portlaw regardless of what entrance they were advised to use to alleviate the Q's.
    Red entrance was Via Kilmacthomas
    Blue entrance was via Carrick.
    Instead , people just went through Carrick and Portlaw….. Peoples laziness and 'fcuk that' attitude.

Yes, poor signage , and very little Garda presence certainly didn't help either.
    I have 'local knowledge' of the area, and even with the MASSIVE congestion in Carrick, I could still by pass all that and be in the site within 20mins.

Q's inside - yes , annoying but its a festival.
    Weather - didn't help....

I will be there again next year - no hesitation.

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭sally cinnamon89

Wrong thread folks

• Advertisement

The Streets confirmed as 2nd headliner

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭Ricosruffneck

The Streets confirmed as 2nd headliner

Great Headliner.

Wrong thread folks

Sorry mam ………. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭DaraDali

Great Headliner.

Would't really call them a headliner, loved the comments on Indie's facebook page, noone knows who they are :rolleyes:

Someone like Gorillaz if you wanted something from that age, would have been alot better.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭fourmations

build new roads!

cheers

ooops sorry for posting that here folks, not paying attention

rgds

• Registered Users Posts: 84,745 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

DaraDali wrote: »
    Would't really call them a headliner, loved the comments on Indie's facebook page, noone knows who they are :rolleyes:

Someone like Gorillaz if you wanted something from that age, would have been alot better.

Would imagine gorillaz are too big for Indiependence. They headlined Glasto.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,348 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

BadTurtle wrote: »
    Would imagine gorillaz are too big for Indiependence. They headlined Glasto.

Glasto not a good measure they don't actually stump up what may be got elsewhere but does offer great commercial incentive and exposure unlikely to be found elsewhere too, Gorillaz only headlined due to a pull out the day before and sure Ash even headlined Glasto by same outcome.

When they were last here did Malahide with a reasonably catered bill which fair enough bigger than what you'd usually expect at Indie but wouldn't rule as completely unrealistic.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

It seems to a total leaving cert festival

Damon Albarn is touring another project with musicians from Iceland next year so we won't see Gorillaz anyway.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

bigpink wrote: »
    It seems to a total leaving cert festival

How can you say that when The Streets are headlining one of the nights, seriously?

callaway92 wrote: »
    How can you say that when The Streets are headlining one of the nights, seriously?

Have you ever been? The festival has always attracted an 18-23 crowd.

In year's gone by, different nights have been headlined by acts like de La Soul, Manic Street Preachers, the Dandy Warhols, Ash, Basement Jaxx, Public Enemy 2 Many Djs, etc and the crowd has rarely changed much in terms of profile.

And while the Streets may headline one night, Sigrid is headlining another - a much younger crowd there.

Indie is a fine fest but there genuinely is nothing there other than the stages. It is bare bones and, as such, older crowd doesn't tend to head along as you don't get the array of stuff you get at EP, ATN, etc.

About 2/3 years ago, they even moved the stage start times later in the day - 5pm onwards - because the crowd spent the day drinking in the campsite so bands were playing to empty tents!!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

If someone ran a festival with Coronas Picture This Kodaline and some social media hype musicians they woukd make a fortune

• Registered Users Posts: 14,302 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

Have you ever been? The festival has always attracted an 18-23 crowd.

In year's gone by, different nights have been headlined by acts like de La Soul, Manic Street Preachers, the Dandy Warhols, Ash, Basement Jaxx, Public Enemy 2 Many Djs, etc and the crowd has rarely changed much in terms of profile.

And while the Streets may headline one night, Sigrid is headlining another - a much younger crowd there.

Indie is a fine fest but there genuinely is nothing there other than the stages. It is bare bones and, as such, older crowd doesn't tend to head along as you don't get the array of stuff you get at EP, ATN, etc.

About 2/3 years ago, they even moved the stage start times later in the day - 5pm onwards - because the crowd spent the day drinking in the campsite so bands were playing to empty tents!!

Been 5 times now - Mitchelstown a 15 min drive from me.

Final headliner announced tomorrow on 2FM

The Streets - Stereophonics - Sigrid.

Hmmmm ……..

79189687_3012912212076538_6811577415718928384_o.jpg?_nc_cat=100&_nc_ohc=GFiZquZuSsQAQlFifTHDHnX_LiVsRmN3oi2HO3f1IpDl4y5UcxWrZFUMA&_nc_ht=scontent-lht6-1.xx&oh=b8bfbf4b79d65c43a05a8ba041bf07f2&oe=5E819E61

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭DepecheHead101

Stereophonics and Feeder. Back in a late 90s Gran Turismo game.

That's probably a better lineup than theyve had for a while. Therapy?, Feeder, The Scratch all worth seeing in the under card, and a big fan of the Streets. Would go see Stereophonics as well probably.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 14,463 Mod ✭✭✭✭johnnyskeleton

BadTurtle wrote: »
    That's probably a better lineup than theyve had for a while. Therapy?, Feeder, The Scratch all worth seeing in the under card, and a big fan of the Streets. Would go see Stereophonics as well probably.

I wonder would a few of them cross pollinate with [a festival which I'd best not mention on this thread]? I appreciate that often times the headliners will have exclusive deals, but hopefully the Scratch and Therapy? might consider a trip across to [another county in Ireland] when they're done.

As for Feeder, bit of a curveball, but I'd say they'd be great craic! Which, if we're honest, is what festivals are supposed to be about!

Advertisement