Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kids training with multiple clubs

Options
  • 10-12-2019 12:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

just wondering hypothetically if this is forbidden or frowned upon.

But can juniors, U12s for example join many different GAA clubs and train with them. Training is 1 hour a week. Not going to become a star training one hour a week. But juniors training with multiple clubs can get 3 or 4 hours training a week that might make a difference.

What would the clubs or the GAA do if they found out. Would they be expelled. obviously have to pay membership for 3 or 4 clubs. and could only register to play matches with one club i would imagine. But training???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

insurance?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 4,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭bruschi

But can juniors, U12s for example join many different GAA clubs and train with them. Training is 1 hour a week. Not going to become a star training one hour a week. But juniors training with multiple clubs can get 3 or 4 hours training a week that might make a difference.

What would the clubs or the GAA do if they found out. Would they be expelled. obviously have to pay membership for 3 or 4 clubs. and could only register to play matches with one club i would imagine. But training???

I do not believe it can happen. as noted, insurance is the first issue. you must be a registered player of the club to be part of their insurance scheme.

But regardless of that technicality not letting it happen, there is a reason the club only has an hour or 2 per week. Kids have enough going on, if they want to do extra training, there is nothing stopping them doing it on their own in the back garden or at their GAA club. The most common complaint is too much training and conflict with other sports, no need for additional group training at that age.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭chasingpaper

This goes against the ethos of the GAA which is founded on clubs and club rivalry. It doesn't exist to develop elite players, that is a byproduct. It exists to facilitate people representing their local area/parish in their national games. A club is not just a sports team it is deeper than that.

Anyway the vast majority of current stars in the GAA would have played with 1 club.

Why should a second club give up coaching time and resources to developing a kid who won't play games for them?
    The kids themselves will know and probably would lead to issues.
    In any club I've known it would absolutely be frowned upon by club volunteers and members.

Just let U12s worry about playing with their friends and enjoying themselves. If they are good in a few years they will end up playing and training too much, with school, county development teams, multiple age groups in the club.

For now they could take up another sport which will probably help them develop transferable skills.

If it is your kid you could volunteer yourself? Maybe they could put on more than 1 hour a week if more parents got involved.
    Or just play with the kid, they will get far more touches in casual games at home or with friends than in formal training.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,809 ✭✭✭CrabRevolution

As was said above, insurance would be a problem. I'm not sure how harsh they'd be on a child, but at adult level I've seen bans of over a year being given to players for playing with a club they were not registered with.

Despite this, outsiders often train with clubs far away due to work, college etc. but an underage player would have no excuse really.

Even if he did get training with another club I'd also wonder how welcome he'd be when it inevitably gets found out that he never intends to play any games and is only using the other club(s) to improve himself for his home club.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭Hawkeye9212

I think that it's only acceptable if the club only plays one code. I know several members of my family played football for Athea and hurling for Templeglantine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

You would be better teaching him the importance of being a team player rather than dragging him around to 4 different clubs. What kind of messed up (hypothetical) thinking is that.

1 hour one on one with your kid would be just as useful as 3 sessions and probably better for the relationship as long as we're not looking at a Tiger Woods situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,360 ✭✭✭Audioslaven

PARlance wrote: »
    You would be better teaching him the importance of being a team player rather than dragging him around to 4 different clubs. What kind of messed up (hypothetical) thinking is that.

1 hour one on one with your kid would be just as useful as 3 sessions and probably better for the relationship as long as we're not looking at a Tiger Woods situation.

That is so true. A club will teach the kid how to solo, kick and show them how they should do the specific skill etc but they need to practice these skills to become really good and this happens at home.

I say it in our club, training is like going to school. You need to do your homework and this is the same for football. Parents have so much influence in the skill level of kids and it happens at home. Doing 1 -3 hours a week at the club is not good enough to get better at football.

Also think of skill level and joy from playing as a snowball. The better the skill level the more enjoyment the kid gets and in turn the more they want to play and train at home.

Advertisement