Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Adding stove/open fire in house with Air-to-Water heatpump

Options
  • 27-11-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭

We have an air-to-water Danfoss heatpump in our house with a single zone, it works well. Our house is not air sealed - we have vents in each room.

In our 60sqm sitting room we have engineered floor boards with under floor heating, we don't run it so the boards are overly warm, 19 degrees in the room or so. In the room, we have a chimney with an unfinished fireplace, it has never been lit.

For coziness\ambience we are looking at installing a fireplace with a stove or an open fire. Though more expensive, we are leaning towards the stove from a safety point of view, but are undecided.

Initially I was concerned that a stove (6kw) would make the room uncomfortably hot on the occasions it was lit but I've been told you get out what you put in, in other words, just light a small fire!

Any points of view appreciated, has anyone done something similar?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 820 ✭✭✭boardtc

If there is a better group to post this in please let me know.

I'd love to hear the opinion of someone with a heat pump, underfloor heating, no heat recovery, vents and a fireplace!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,072 ✭✭✭✭KCross

boardtc wrote: »
    Initially I was concerned that a stove (6kw) would make the room uncomfortably hot on the occasions it was lit but I've been told you get out what you put in, in other words, just light a small fire!

That’s it in a nutshell.

Just a case of if it’s worth the money putting it in if the house is already hot enough. Wood, cleaning, chimney sweep, stove installation etc. Not cheap if the house/room is already fine as is, but if you decide you want it definitely go the stove route and keep it small and you can control the output on a stove very easily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,958 ✭✭✭✭Shefwedfan

If the room is not cold and you just want a fire look get electric job

Seems like a lot of messy to putin a stove which you wil use rarely and will bake you in the room

• Registered Users Posts: 863 ✭✭✭xl500

boardtc wrote: »
    We have an air-to-water Danfoss heatpump in our house with a single zone, it works well. Our house is not air sealed - we have vents in each room.

In our 60sqm sitting room we have engineered floor boards with under floor heating, we don't run it so the boards are overly warm, 19 degrees in the room or so. In the room, we have a chimney with an unfinished fireplace, it has never been lit.

For coziness\ambience we are looking at installing a fireplace with a stove or an open fire. Though more expensive, we are leaning towards the stove from a safety point of view, but are undecided.

Any points of view appreciated, has anyone done something similar?

Why not put an Electric Stove in Fireplace this can give you ambience without heat and also heat when required some of them now are fab

xl500 wrote: »
    Why not put an Electric Stove in Fireplace this can give you ambience without heat and also heat when required some of them now are fab

I was completely unaware of these. I'll have to do some research, thanks!

• Advertisement

KCross wrote: »
    That’s it in a nutshell.

Just a case of if it’s worth the money putting it in if the house is already hot enough. Wood, cleaning, chimney sweep, stove installation etc. Not cheap if the house/room is already fine as is, but if you decide you want it definitely go the stove route and keep it small and you can control the output on a stove very easily.

Good to know the stove output can definitely be controlled, thanks!

Advertisement