Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Safer Running Spots Near Town?

Options
  • 07-12-2019 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭

I've been trying to get fitter for the past few months and hoping to get a bit of a kick start of the whole New Year's Resolution stuff. I've been running indoors on a crappy treadmill for the past couple of months but it's not the same as actually doing it outside. I know some folks meet at the RSC and run together a few days a week but I don't think I'm at that level yet.

Is there anywhere not far from town that might be a good spot for jogging? I live not far from Manor Road and things have gotten a bit sketchy at night. Considering that it'll pitch black outside of work hours for another couple of months, is it just too dangerous to be out jogging on your own?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 814 ✭✭✭debok

PPN2893 wrote: »
    I've been trying to get fitter for the past few months and hoping to get a bit of a kick start of the whole New Year's Resolution stuff. I've been running indoors on a crappy treadmill for the past couple of months but it's not the same as actually doing it outside. I know some folks meet at the RSC and run together a few days a week but I don't think I'm at that level yet.

Is there anywhere not far from town that might be a good spot for jogging? I live not far from Manor Road and things have gotten a bit sketchy at night. Considering that it'll pitch black outside of work hours for another couple of months, is it just too dangerous to be out jogging on your own?

You in Baghdad or Aleppo?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭914

PPN2893 wrote: »

I run on my own and its grand but if your a bit nervous, the walk way along johns river, the peoples park, kilbarry nature park and the greenway are all good spots

However the nature park and greenway have no lights.

The winter league option would be also good for you. It takes part every thursday night at thr rsc at 7pm and is a 5km run. People of all different levels take part.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,176 ✭✭✭Gavlor

Everywhere in Waterford is safe to run. You might get the odd heckle from some little toe rags but that doesn’t make it unsafe.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭914

Gavlor wrote: »
    Everywhere in Waterford is safe to run. You might get the odd heckle from some little toe rags but that doesn’t make it unsafe.

+1

• Registered Users Posts: 10,265 ✭✭✭✭greenspurs

Also the Waterford road runners (?) have running sessions for beginners and intermediate runners in the RSC every mon night.
    Also the Winter Lge on Thurs nights,
    And Parkruns on Sat mornings.

"Bright lights and Thunder .................... "

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 479 ✭✭Squidvicious

debok wrote: »
    You in Baghdad or Aleppo?
    I don't know if the OP is a man or a woman. Personally, I wouldn't see any major fear factor running anywhere in Waterford. However, do bear in mind that a lone woman might feel a little more vulnerable running in a certain areas than a man might feel.

Advertisement