Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McSavage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭The chan chan man

I think he’s hilarious. Savage Eye was deadly!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Anyone could take off Joe Duffy.

Well you didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,176 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Paging Degsy :D

Savage Eye is funny in parts to be fair.

I know its personal taste but i really dont think it is funny. Its very predictable.

The only Irish politicalish comedian that is in any way funny is Oliver Callan..

• Registered Users Posts: 20,782 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

people here going out of their way to say he isn't funny is almost Mcsavage like posting.

That Heaney piece is genius, taking the piss out of the irish superiority around the arts , when as another poster posted . it's all a bit banal.

So people saying he isn't funny are just trying too hard , or need to review their own subjectivity.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Paging Degsy :D

Savage Eye is funny in parts to be fair.

He owes me as well because I just about persuaded a friend not to assault him years back when he was doing his knobhead routine in Dublin City centre. Like any good posh, connected edge lord, he always did it in temple bar near lots of CCTV.

'Comedy' that depends on demeaning people will only be funny to those of similar bent to the 'comedian'. It's a pathetic way to make a living tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭TwoMonthsOff

Quares

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

I've seen him a couple of times. I think he's very good. You never know whether he's going to bring the house down, bring some young one up the front to tears, cause mayhem or just be a total flop.

It's always a knife edge with him, and I don't think he cares either way, wouldn't be surprised if that's what he strives for, or if it's some sort of bullet proof persona he's developed for when it's not going well. But the not knowing is all part of the entertainment for me. I've come out of his gigs thinking jeez the first half was side splitting but he died on his feet the second half... I've seen it all go pete tong just from someone chewing too loud up the front, he couldn't get away from it :pac:.

It seems as much of a social experiment as stand-up. He's Ireland's answer to Andy Kaufman in his own twisted way, although maybe that's giving him too much credit.

zippy84 wrote: »

He's Ireland's answer to Andy Kaufman in his own twisted way, although maybe that's giving him too much credit.

He's Ireland's answer only if the question is "Who is the biggest wanker to ever pretend to be a comedian?"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,013 ✭✭✭Hulk Hands

There's an army of his friends or family, or maybe himself on multiple accounts, going through this thread thanking all positive posts

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Savage eye was quite frankly savage...

My brother almost had to be brought to hospital for a suspected heart attack when he seen this...

• Registered Users Posts: 10,541 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Hulk Hands wrote: »
    There's an army of his friends or family, or maybe himself on multiple accounts, going through this thread thanking all positive posts

And an army of arseholes making ignorant “criticisms” and moronic theories.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I can't judge the guy, not knowing him. His work was hit and miss. But I'll always cherish this (very much a hit):

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

people here going out of their way to say he isn't funny is almost Mcsavage like posting.

That Heaney piece is genius, taking the piss out of the irish superiority around the arts , when as another poster posted . it's all a bit banal.

So people saying he isn't funny are just trying too hard , or need to review their own subjectivity.

I saw him a few years ago in the laughter lounge. When people didn't laugh at his commentary, he thought his jokes were too controversial for us to laugh along to. He then immediately went for relating his jokes to abortions. If I'm too dumb or judgemental to get him, I'd rather it that way to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,751 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

I heard from a reliable source that David McSavage only exists in the collective Irish hive mind. We imagine his atoms as they are to keep us content. Or it could be the governments way of controlling us. Watch out, lads. They are listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

What do people think of him? I don't really find him that funny, I think he's very crude and goes way over the top. He seems quite egotistical and bitter aswell. I think a comedian can be funny without having to push things as far as he does.

one of the very few truly great irish comedy creators of the past few decades .

the savage eye was genius

nearly all of the great comedy creators were troubled people

No doubt the guy has some comedic talent, but I find his smugness overides any inclination I have to laugh.

Would be more successful writing for somebody else maybe.

you dont know what smug is if you think Mc savage is smug

sugarman wrote: »
    Hate him, he just puts on stupid accents, pulls stupid faces and shouts his head off. Nothing funny about him or his act.

Jason Byrne thread that way

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭BuboBubo

I think he's hilarious. His piss-take of Richie Kavanagh is unforgettable.

I'd love to see "The Savage Eye" return to the telly.

Oh Jesus Mario Rosenstock, I haven't laughed at one of his sketches since 1999. Oliver Callanis a bit better but is fairly cringey also. Conor Moore seems a very good impressionist but I find the whole mimicry thing quite tiresome at this stage

Conor Moore is awful

• Advertisement

Hating what the church has done to this country is being a gob****e? Grand so.

no but it makes you about as original as a wet wednesday in the west of ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 66,973 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Mad_maxx wrote: »

SMUG: too pleased or satisfied about something you have achieved or something you know.

Which is word for word how he comes across to me. - 'I am funny', if you disagree then you are wrong.

Comedy is a subjective thing. Try all you want, you cannot make somebody laugh if they don't find something particularly funny in it's content or delivery.

He has some comedic talent, if a little derivative and unoriginal, as I said...but not very much in delivering it. Which is why he might be more successful at writing for somebody with a talent for delivery.

I can safely say that without a shadow of a doubt, McSavage, on stage and off, is absolutely a smug, arrogant prick.

You can take either the Collins dictionary definition:

"If you say that someone is smug, you are criticizing the fact they seem very pleased with how good, clever, or lucky they are"

Or the Urban dictionary definition:

"The name given to someone when they consistently and without compromise look down on others with contempt using a wry smile or grin oozing superiotity. This attitude is often preceded with a sense of self entitlement and/or a daddy complex. There is generally a bit of "me me me" about this person"

Was nicked from pat short - Andrews admitted that to short backstage one night.

Pat Short celebrates bog men , even mc savage stole the character , he completely re-invented it .

• Registered Users Posts: 11,173 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

Seen him in a few interviews and he does come off as someone who if you knew or had to be around quite a lot you would tell to f-off. That said he was funny with The Savage Eye.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭hynesie08

**** comedian.

**** human being.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

This is an originality contest? Was not attempting to be, there are many many opinions I share with many people, is this now prohibited?

• Subscribers Posts: 686 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

Berating an opinion just because it's a popular one is even more boring and unoriginal. It's a bit like saying you were into a band before they became well known, then they just got too commercial so you stopped listening. You're not ahead of the pulse, stop pretending.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭chrissb8

For the Joe Duffy BDSM character in Savage eye alone he's funny.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,461 ✭✭✭✭Ush1

Seen him in a few interviews and he does come off as someone who if you knew or had to be around quite a lot you would tell to f-off. That said he was funny with The Savage Eye.

It's a sad cliche that happens to all "artists" who only achieve marginal success, especially Irish comedians (Blindboy from the Rubberbandits is another example).

They did a few funny things once then think they are "better" than that, and better than their audience.

Advertisement