Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Swift Water Training- do we need the facility going in in Dublin?

Options
  • 04-12-2019 10:25pm

I think the voice most absent regarding the “Bleedin’ Rapids” that just got the green light in George’s Dock, Dublin is that of the people who will put it to the most valuable use; swift water rescuers.

There’s a big push from the Hard Left to paint it as a plaything for the rich, and any answers to that get met with “get in the sea for free” or f*** off to the UK”.

What do ye front line workers think? I’m thinking of two horrible car sinking accidents of our quays where knowledge of car sinking dynamics would have made a difference to survival. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m led to believe that kind of training can only be done in a controlled flooded car environment, the kind that this facility would provide.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

I think the voice most absent regarding the “Bleedin’ Rapids” that just got the green light in George’s Dock, Dublin is that of the people who will put it to the most valuable use; swift water rescuers.

There’s a big push from the Hard Left to paint it as a plaything for the rich, and any answers to that get met with “get in the sea for free” or f*** off to the UK”.

What do ye front line workers think? I’m thinking of two horrible car sinking accidents of our quays where knowledge of car sinking dynamics would have made a difference to survival. Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m led to believe that kind of training can only be done in a controlled flooded car environment, the kind that this facility would provide.

The DFB's main point was that they could train in safe (i.e. non toxic) water.

Money is better spent on the DFB itself or many, many other issues facing the city (lack of safe cycle route on quays for one).

donvito99 wrote: »

Money is better spent on the DFB itself or many, many other issues facing the city (lack of safe cycle route on quays for one).

I was kinda hoping for an emergency service worker/volunteer’s opinion. Talking heads are ten a penny in AH, but the swift water training is what I suspect got this over the line.

donvito99 wrote: »

From DFB Twitter;

Dublin Fire Brigade have been involved in this project from the early stages. The white-water centre can provide our Firefighters with a world-class training facility for our Swift-water Rescue Technicians (SRTs). Currently training relies on unpredictable river swells.

Advertisement