Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

David McSavage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭tylercheribini

Keep diggin

Plenty watchin

Stage-Irish depictions of the common eejit were around long before Shortt and co. Eg Punch magazine

Could do with investing in Rhinoplasty.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,420 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

washman3 wrote: »
    without giving too much away, what street in Dublin is that pub..?? ;)

Beside the Ha'Penny Bridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,306 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Nonsense. Ive never seen Pat Shortt play a bar man character in any sketch, nor have i seen anything similar to Mick in any of his sketches

You obviously haven’t seen much of dunbelievables or pats solo material or even killinacully where pat wrote a big part for the bar man.

I know for a fact pat pulled Andrews up on a few things and Andrews apologized.

Shout out to Jon Kenny too

You obviously haven’t seen much of dunbelievables or pats solo material or even killinacully where pat wrote a big part for the bar man.

Cool, do you know who really killed Kennedy also?

• Advertisement

The bar man in Killinascully, Jacksy, is nothing like Mick the Bull. Ive seen Jon Kenny play a bar man in one of d'unbelievables videos and again he's nothing like Mick the Bull. Nonsense comparison

Just YouTube his absolute cringe fest appearance on the late late with pat Kenny where he performed his pigeon song.

Watching through your fingers type of cringe.

Just YouTube his absolute cringe fest appearance on the late late with pat Kenny where he performed his pigeon song.

Watching through your fingers type of cringe.

It was absolutely brutal.

Shockingly bad

Shockingly bad

Unintentionally his funniest moment

Shockingly bad

Incredible performance,probably my all time favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

'Savage Eye' was the most consistently funny comedy sketch show on RTE ever (at least in my memory, I'm in my 40's).

Good supporting cast on it too ...John Colleary is superb.

I seen David McSavage do standup once or twice many moons ago and he was top class. Proper thought out edgey stuff.... not the shouty **** of Jason Byrne or later years Tommy Tiernan etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

And Paths to Freedom two best pieces of Irish comedy ever (imo).

McSavage has that on edge personality as part of his act , but you get a sense that is his actual personality too.

Remember him referring to his family/ father and basically he seemed to have a fairly troubled relationship with his family.

He seems to have been in dark places , and it certainly is used in a positive way to bring his comedy to a level nobody else goes to in Ireland.

He comes across as a bit of an arsehole, but I love him anyway.

Completely forgot about Paths to Freedom! that was excellent, must watch it again.

I think McSavage has also admitted to struggling with depression and alcoholism as well.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 784 ✭✭✭LaFuton

i think he's a homosexual.

(a non biased statement of description)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,536 ✭✭✭Stacksofwacks

This. Jon Kenny was the manic funny one in D'unbelievable, Shortt just kind of went along on his coattails. Look at Kenny's early sketches with D'unbelievable and you'll see the Bull Mick or whatever he's called. The one where he does the butcher is a close resemblance

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Hating what the church has done to this country is being a gob****e? Grand so.

If you weren't blaming the cath-olic church you'd be waving your fist and blaming the brits for what dey done to dis country. It's paddywhackery.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

He works so much better on TV when there's a few extra voices to rein him in and point him in the right direction. His stand up is awful and usually consists of him picking on one or two audience members and straight out bullying them. Saw him go after the wrong person on a couple of occasion in the International and he had fists flying at him.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,839 ✭✭✭enricoh

Completely forgot about Paths to Freedom! that was excellent, must watch it again.

I think McSavage has also admitted to struggling with depression and alcoholism as well.

Same as that, I had forgotten it. Good news is it's on YouTube .
    Meh, yer never gonna please everyone but ripping the piss outta the cops n Joe Duffy were class n Mick the bull is comedy gold for me!

antix80 wrote: »
    If you weren't blaming the cath-olic church you'd be waving your fist and blaming the brits for what dey done to dis country. It's paddywhackery.

Where did I mention "the brits" anywhere? That was you, I abhor nationalism also, in our case it was entwined with Catholicism as our supposed national identity. To be an Irish Republican was to be Catholic too so dont think I could be anti-church and anti-brit, maybe "tink dese tings tru" next time.

Where did I mention "the brits" anywhere? That was you, I abhor nationalism also, in our case it was entwined with Catholicism as our supposed national identity. To be an Irish Republican was to be Catholic too so dont think I could be anti-church and anti-brit, maybe "tink dese tings tru" next time.

Thought it through and all i see is the revisionist history and small mindedness that existed since the founding of the state. Sure it's fashionable to bash the church.. just like previously it was fashionable to bash the brits.. It's a very irish thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,546 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

They ripped off D’Unbelievables though. They had a guard in it. Probably a barman too. Clearly ripped it off.

The tide is turning…

• Advertisement

They ripped off D’Unbelievables though. They had a guard in it. Probably a barman too. Clearly ripped it off.

David you rip off a lot of songs in your act too, or should I say, murder them ;)

Thought it through and all i see is the revisionist history and small mindedness that existed since the founding of the state. Sure it's fashionable to bash the church.. just like previously it was fashionable to bash the brits.. It's a very irish thing.

I hate to break it to you but its still quite fashionable to "bash the brits" amongst many Irish, they havent gone away you know. Ah yes,the old "church as victim" argument, is that you David Quinn? :)

That you David?

Dig up ffs!!

I hate to break it to you but its still quite fashionable to "bash the brits" amongst many Irish, they havent gone away you know. Ah yes,the old "church as victim" argument, is that you David Quinn? :)

Yea, but it's more socially acceptable to bash the church.

Guess the nationality of pretty much all the perpetrators of abuse in the church.... and you'll see why i think the church bashing is so pathetic. It's like the nation cast all its sins onto the church and threw it off a cliff. So, that's paddywhackery. I have disdain for paddywhackery in all its forms.

Yea, but it's more socially acceptable to bash the church.

Guess the nationality of pretty much all the perpetrators of abuse in the church.... and you'll see why i think the church bashing is so pathetic. It's like the nation cast all its sins onto the church and threw it off a cliff. So, that's paddywhackery. I have disdain for paddywhackery in all its forms.

Not socially acceptable to brit-bash? The Wolf Tones and all their horrendous tribute/wannabes filling pubs and venues up and down the country on a regular basis, I havent witnessed a drunken sing along bashing the church yet. :) You havent grasped the concept of paddywhackery either, look it up.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 771 ✭✭✭HappyAsLarE

Is he still the head of Scientology?

Is he still the head of Scientology?

That's Miscavige. Make's McSavage look normal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

There's an edge to him that's an all too rare commodity in Irish & UK comedy.

I get the impression he kinda hates himself & would be more suited to living in a shack up the side of some mountain.

I'd absolutely love to see him host sh1tfests like Winning Streak or Up for the Match.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,803 ✭✭✭✭FixdePitchmark

sugarman wrote: »
    Its literally the exact same thing! All hes doing is pulling stupid faces and putting on a stupid accent shouting "QWAAAARES" for the entire sketch.

I know comedy is subjective, but I really fail to see how anyone can find what he does funny. Its not smart, interlectual or witty... theres no story or punchline. Its just ...nonsense.

Ah come on.

His piss take on Irish politics and the he built the road was brilliant satire.

you have crazy standards if your saying there is no story or punchline.

The joe Duffy thing was brilliant too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 813 ✭✭✭Macdarack

Love the savage eye , I still often look at clips on YouTube , I saw him on the streets playing a few times and a show In limerick. I'm a big fan, savage eye was the best comedy show ever to hit RTE. One of his best clips on YouTube is the two Irish micks in new York for a job interview. Ripped the church a new wan too and rightly.

Advertisement