Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Classic car VAT

Options
  • 05-12-2019 6:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hello everybody,
    I'm wondering if you can help me please. I recently imported a 1982 classic car but I sent the car from the US to the UK initially and then on to Ireland. The reason for this was to avail of the 5% VAT rate for 30+ year old cars that the UK offers. VAT is payable on the point of entry to the EU, the UK in this case. When I tried to VRT the car I was notified of the €200 fee but I was asked to pay Ireland's 23% classic car VAT rate on top as well. I've contacted various Revenue departments to try and explain that the VAT was paid in the UK and all I'm liable for is the €200 VRT fee. But unfortunately it's like I'm speaking Chinese. I'm wondering has anybody else encountered this. I'm two weeks trying to resolve this. Thanks, Neil.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,829 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

apacheah64 wrote: »
    Hello everybody,
    I'm wondering if you can help me please. I recently imported a 1982 classic car but I sent the car from the US to the UK initially and then on to Ireland. The reason for this was to avail of the 5% VAT rate for 30+ year old cars that the UK offers. VAT is payable on the point of entry to the EU, the UK in this case. When I tried to VRT the car I was notified of the €200 fee but I was asked to pay Ireland's 23% classic car VAT rate on top as well. I've contacted various Revenue departments to try and explain that the VAT was paid in the UK and all I'm liable for is the €200 VRT fee. But unfortunately it's like I'm speaking Chinese. I'm wondering has anybody else encountered this. I'm two weeks trying to resolve this. Thanks, Neil.

Morning Neil, sorry I'm no help to you but I'm curious as to what the car is and what were the potential savings if your plan had worked.

As it stands it looks like all you have to lose at most is the 5% paid to the queen. If you have been on to various departments in Revenue and they all say the same thing I can't imagine any one individual is going to over rule them.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,382 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Register it in the uk?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Did you not get a receipt?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,061 ✭✭✭Kenny Logins

Brexit hasn't happened yet... Produce the receipt from the shippers.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Register it in the uk?

this.

I think for this plan to work , the car would have to be UK registered and I'm surprised you can pay the VAT without registering it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭Car99

Who shipped the car from the UK to Ireland for you?

Did the company that cleared the car through customs give you a completed SAD document ?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Register it in the uk?

Not necessary. You just have to pay the VAT anywhere in the EU, and then provide proof of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Isambard wrote: »
    this.

I think for this plan to work , the car would have to be UK registered and I'm surprised you can pay the VAT without registering it.

You can, as you don't have to register if if you never put it on the road at all (e.g., Museum).

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 5,796 ✭✭✭Isambard

galwaytt wrote: »
    You can, as you don't have to register if if you never put it on the road at all (e.g., Museum).

and yet if you bring a car into Ireland you have to register it within 30 days

• Registered Users Posts: 13 apacheah64

thanks for the replies everybody.
    the car is a Delorean.
    i have the VAT receipt from the shipping company.
    interestingly when I submitted the six page SAD document at the VRT office they retained it all, except the page that referenced the VAT payment...
    when I ring up Revenue unfortunately they will just reference the standard VAT and VRT stuff off their website.
    I can't contact anybody with expertise in classic car importation.

• Advertisement

thanks for the replies everybody.
    the car is a Delorean.
    i have the VAT receipt from the shipping company.
    interestingly when I submitted the six page SAD document at the VRT office they retained it all, except the page that referenced the VAT payment...
    when I ring up Revenue unfortunately they will just reference the standard VAT and VRT stuff off their website.
    I can't contact anybody with expertise in classic car importation.

The customs clearance company will have a copy of the VAT transaction and SAD .

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Go back into the NCT office and give the person the VAT receipt (make a copy for yourself) and tell him/her what the issue is and to pass it on to the relevant people, that's your point of contact.

I was thinking about giving that a rattle but I'm not optimistic in them giving a flying f**k. they're just relaying info to me that the revenue told them.

I was up at the VRT office at the NCT center this evening and as expected they did'nt know/give a me bollocks what I was talking about. Back to going around in circles on the phone on Monday.

Not necessary. You just have to pay the VAT anywhere in the EU, and then provide proof of this.
    have you gone through this ordeal as well, Kenny?

have you gone through this ordeal as well, Kenny?

Yeah, a few years ago now but there was no issue paying the lower fees in Felixstowe and then shipping here for registration. This was before the VRO was moved out to NCT centres though..

I don't know if Paul Kanters pops in here anymore, but it might be worth asking him about this.

http://classiccarsireland.eu/

If Revenue are looking for I guess around 5k VAT from you it must be worth your while going to the trouble of registering it in the UK . There are companies in the uk that will look after the process for you . They'll also put it through the MOT as part of the process which you can then exchange for an NCT post registration in ireland. .

• Registered Users Posts: 2 jeremiasapaz

Did you manage to get this sorted?

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Paddy GT

I know its an old thread but once you have the UK SAD document and also a NOVA (Notification of Arrival) in the UK you will not be liable for extra VAT or Duty.

• Advertisement
Advertisement