Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Journalism and cycling

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Eamonnator wrote: »
    are these tenders openly advertised?
    They have to be when over a certain value You would find them on the likes of the etenders.ie site

• Registered Users Posts: 11,745 ✭✭✭✭tomasrojo

Pollution in Dublin 'alarming', says UCD scientist [irishexaminer.com]

Previous research has suggested the opposite.

Higher air pollution health risk inside car, study finds [airqualitynews.com]

Where do we stand?!

Depends on what the RTÉ show means by "RTɒs flagship science show revealed pedestrians and cyclists are most at risk from the poor quality air which can led to health problem." The study that's the subject of the article seems to be about ambient pollution at the street level, which doesn't tell you about what the pollution inside cars is like.

I'm assuming that cyclists and pedestrians are less exposed than people in cars, because the concentrations in cars are higher, and at peak travel times people in cars are stuck in the most polluted streets for much longer.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

Above 25k I think it has to advertised on etenders.gov.ie must have a look to see if I can see it there.

EDIT: convenient "Site down for maintenance"

Was announced awhile in advance, no conspiracy here.

All this could simply be because someone wasn't 100% sure of what they needed but was asked to be specific... Anybody else is still free to submit...

All this applies to job postings too. I have interviewed for jobs in state bodies where I got the distinct impression that they already knew who they wanted and were just going through the motions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,171 ✭✭✭Rechuchote

tomasrojo wrote: »
    Depends on what the RTÉ show means by "RTɒs flagship science show revealed pedestrians and cyclists are most at risk from the poor quality air which can led to health problem." The study that's the subject of the article seems to be about ambient pollution at the street level, which doesn't tell you about what the pollution inside cars is like.

I'm assuming that cyclists and pedestrians are less exposed than people in cars, because the concentrations in cars are higher, and at peak travel times people in cars are stuck in the most polluted streets for much longer.

This is odd. Previous studies have shown that people in cars (with the grilles pulling in pollution) are more at risk, whereas cyclists are above the level it mostly floats at.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/12/children-risk-air-pollution-cars-former-uk-chief-scientist-warns

• Registered Users Posts: 2,858 ✭✭✭Duckjob

Rechuchote wrote: »
    This is odd. Previous studies have shown that people in cars (with the grilles pulling in pollution) are more at risk, whereas cyclists are above the level it mostly floats at.

https://www.theguardian.com/environment/2017/jun/12/children-risk-air-pollution-cars-former-uk-chief-scientist-warns

I always thought about the difference like on a bike you might get a face full of fumes here and there but then you're mostly in the open air again, whereas in a car the level builds and falls slowly in the cabin so in traffic you sit immersed in an unsafe level of fumes over a much more extended periods of time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,466 ✭✭✭Curb Your Enthusiasm

An excellent piece from IrishCycle on the council's poor attitude towards cycling safety and infrastructure in Cork.

https://irishcycle.com/2019/12/03/council-bosses-shouldnt-sound-like-talk-radio-texters-on-cycling-rants/

"The inaction of Doherty’s council management team on this shows that the safety, comfort and convenience of people who cycle in Cork is not high on her agenda, nor is unlocking the potential of cycling for Cork, it’s people and businesses."

I know so many people who want to cycle, but are too scared to even try.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,543 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Was announced awhile in advance, no conspiracy here.

All this could simply be because someone wasn't 100% sure of what they needed but was asked to be specific... Anybody else is still free to submit...

It's grand to be specific about functional requirements, such as 'soft mesh lining' if there is a good reason to back this up. When procuring, you really shouldn't put anything into the tender without good reason. There should be a reason to show that 'soft mesh lining' is better/safer/faster/more durable or whatever than other kinds of lining if you're going to put it in a tender as a requirement.

But something like 'ergofit padding' - as far as I can make out, this is a meaningless marketing makey-uppey term and should not be in a tender as a requirement in any circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,178 ✭✭✭JMcL

All this applies to job postings too. I have interviewed for jobs in state bodies where I got the distinct impression that they already knew who they wanted and were just going through the motions.

This definitely happens. Pretty sure it's public service wide that you can't be promoted across grades so "promotions" will require the convening of an interview panel wasting a heap of time and money advertising the job in the first place, then paying expenses to the external panel members.

JMcL wrote: »
    Pretty sure it's public service wide that you can't be promoted across grades

That is untrue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,941 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If he really loved her, he would have bought her a road bike and a turbo trainer. Maybe a copy of Zwift as well.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

Re: the article about the Garda tender.

I assumed that the article was based off the description of the product that was supplied pursuant to the tender, not the wording of the tender itself. If you are going to write a very thinly disguised clickbait piece on "bloody cyclists" then using the advertising fluff of the product is a pretty obvious go-to approach, to make it sound as fancy and upmarket as possible.

If the request for tender itself specified all those things of course it would be over specific imo. I doubt it did though.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,528 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

If I were her, i would be more upset that he wasted money on a peloton rather than, as Stark said, a decent road bike and maybe a wahoo.

How anyone could sit and listen, let alone be motivated by the guff they spout in the peloton workouts I've seen online is beyond me. I'd fall off the thing laughing.

As for the ad they should have claimed it was satire or something, that was their only out :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,860 ✭✭✭De Bhál

first 5 seconds are the funniest when she almost collapses at the shock of seeing the torture device.

• Registered Users Posts: 185 ✭✭DonegalBay

Stuff like this makes me feel humanity is reaching a new level of stupidity, looking to be offended at everything. If you are offended at that ad, it says more about you than anything.

Am I now allowed to be offended that people are making assumptions about the reasoning behind the gift😄. Maybe she is a cyclist, but felt uncomfortable about cycling on roads, maybe she was thinking of trying a new sport, maybe she was injured previously. No, no we need the gender politics BS.

Don’t hold back there. Gender politics isn’t BS btw. A bit more education for those that dismiss it wouldn’t go astray.

Fian wrote: »
    Re: the article about the Garda tender.

I assumed that the article was based off the description of the product that was supplied pursuant to the tender, not the wording of the tender itself. If you are going to write a very thinly disguised clickbait piece on "bloody cyclists" then using the advertising fluff of the product is a pretty obvious go-to approach, to make it sound as fancy and upmarket as possible.

If the request for tender itself specified all those things of course it would be over specific imo. I doubt it did though.

The tender is still open, so the product hasn't been selected or supplied yet.

https://irl.eu-supply.com/ctm/Supplier/PublicPurchase/157429/0/0?returnUrl=ctm/Supplier/publictenders&b=ETENDERS_SIMPLE

• Registered Users Posts: 2,188 ✭✭✭Fian

O.o

• Advertisement

Don’t hold back there. Gender politics isn’t BS btw. A bit more education for those that dismiss it wouldn’t go astray.

I think it's more the fact that it seem's to be shoved into just about everything going these days, even when not warranted. One of the issues we frequently hear about is getting women involved in sports and this is especially true for cycling clubs, which struggle to do so. In my experience, putting out a general invitation for new people doesn't seem to work in attracting females so clubs have to target females in specific ways to attract them to join a male dominated environment. To me, this ad is aimed at women which should be seen as a good sign, but because it dared showed a man buying a bicycle for his partner, it is "sexist" or "out of touch".

I gift my sister athletic/cycling stuff, because that is what she enjoys and she might appreciate new gear or stuff(Which of course she does). Does this mean I am sexist or subliminally suggesting she needs to lose weight or get fit? Cmon. Ironically, I did suggest to her before about getting a turbo trainer, but warned her it would be tough and boring at times without the fancy bells and whistles that these type of trainers have. I have never had one, but maybe they are great for motivation etc.

They've taken a leaf out of the Ryanair/Paddy Power book of marketing ie. there's no such thing as bad publicity.

There's no way they could've produced that ad in 2019 without realising the reaction it would provoke.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

DonegalBay wrote: »
    To me, this ad is aimed at women which should be seen as a good sign, but because it dared showed a man buying a bicycle for his partner, it is "sexist" or "out of touch".

My understanding was some think that it implied that women were so superficial that they would only take up an activity if it was one they could constantly boast about on social media. I don't think many people are taking issue with the man buying her the bike.
    I personally don't think it's sexist but it really does look like a parody of the show black mirror and I'm fairly sure that was not what they were going for.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

how can they call it sexist? surely they are not assuming the sex of the people in the advert?!:eek:

tuxy wrote: »
    My understanding was some think that it implied that women were so superficial that they would only take up an activity if it was one they could constantly boast about on social media. I don't think many people are taking issue with the man buying her the bike.
    I personally don't think it's sexist but it really does look like a parody of the show black mirror and I'm fairly sure that was not what they were going for.

This from the article quoted

"Critics called the advert “offensive” and “dumb”, pointing out that the woman in the advert was already slim at the start, and that the implication that her partner thought she needed to get fitter and lose weight was patronising and damaging."

I actually saw it reported on BBC first and their article had a similar theme, but the headline has changed throughout the day. I think I saw the ad a few weeks and agree it seemed a bit quirky, but not in any way offensive. As I said, you need to be reading a lot more into than what is presented to be getting offended.

I think it's more the fact that it seem's to be shoved into just about everything going these days, even when not warranted. One of the issues we frequently hear about is getting women involved in sports and this is especially true for cycling clubs, which struggle to do so. In my experience, putting out a general invitation for new people doesn't seem to work in attracting females so clubs have to target females in specific ways to attract them to join a male dominated environment. To me, this ad is aimed at women which should be seen as a good sign, but because it dared showed a man buying a bicycle for his partner, it is "sexist" or "out of touch".

I gift my sister athletic/cycling stuff, because that is what she enjoys and she might appreciate new gear or stuff(Which of course she does). Does this mean I am sexist or subliminally suggesting she needs to lose weight or get fit? Cmon. Ironically, I did suggest to her before about getting a turbo trainer, but warned her it would be tough and boring at times without the fancy bells and whistles that these type of trainers have. I have never had one, but maybe they are great for motivation etc.
    This from the article quoted

"Critics called the advert “offensive” and “dumb”, pointing out that the woman in the advert was already slim at the start, and that the implication that her partner thought she needed to get fitter and lose weight was patronising and damaging."

I actually saw it reported on BBC first and their article had a similar theme, but the headline has changed throughout the day. I think I saw the ad a few weeks and agree it seemed a bit quirky, but not in any way offensive. As I said, you need to be reading a lot more into than what is presented to be getting offended.

This is why the death of the humanities and therefore critical thinking is to be reversed. Reading more into it than what is presented is exactly what everyone should be doing and understanding, critically, the subtext to advertisements is now at the core of this. This forum is pretty quick to understand anti-cyclist subtexts in the media, advertising, but when this moves on to gender inequalities all hell breaks lose and comments like yours appear, where abrasiveness and dismissiveness are employed instead.

You can read into the advert as you wish, but you don't get to decide what other people find offensive. I, for example, find it offensive that Father's Day gifts advertised in Aldi, etc. present a stereotypical version of men's interests that have nothing to do with me. I find people belittling Donegal, where I'm from, "They're all muck savages up there", extremely offensive and people then take offense at being made feel bad for what they regard as banter. I take offense at being called "in all innocence" a "left footer" because my mother is Protestant.

We don't get to decide what people take offense at or feel belittled by, simply because our life stories, which inform these sensitivities, are all different and what is benign to one, is malignant to another. Taking offense at someone elses offense, however, is the real show stopper and says more about one than the other.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,832 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeeee

What Harry said.
    I find the ad patronising in the extreme and sexist. It speaks about policing your body for a man, looking after yourself for the purpose of male appreciation etc. etc.
    It's a very well known method of female oppression.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭Moflojo

How the hell is a treadmill company worth so much money?!

(P.s. Anyone have any info on how I can start selling my private data, including my health data, directly and cut out these treadmill middle men?)

Moflojo wrote: »
    How the hell is a treadmill company worth so much money?!

(P.s. Anyone have any info on how I can start selling my private data, including my health data, directly and cut out these treadmill middle men?)

I think there’s a trend in the US for this kind of fitness option in the industry. See the dive SoulCyvke took when one of their board(?) commented on supporting trump. Huge money in it. Almost cultish.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,578 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I'm not going to comment on the as being offensive, but by Christ is it dumb.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement