Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

You know God exists. Now thats either true or its not. Your opinion matters.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

A prophecy: at this point the empiricist commandeering of the word objective to mean "having the potential to be empirically demonstrated even if it couldn't be, through circumstance, at the time of it's occurrence".

Or some such

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,401 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    This made Luther very angry indeed and he wrote at great length about the awful, stubborn, not like us, anti-Christ Jews.
    "On the Jews and Their Lies" is Luther's seminal work in this area - note his listicle of seven remedial actions which the christians could undertake against their jewish neighbours:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_the_Jews_and_Their_Lies

There is nothing about subjectivity that says something need be provable in order to be objective. It merely needs not be the product of personal feelings or emotions.
    Unfortunately, that would require the holder of the subjective view to assert or to make some implicit acknowledgement of their subjectivity and could be forced to abandon it, should it be found to fail the objectivity test.

It's like looking down the two ends of the same empty toilet-roll - from one end, one sees far away (or one could, if it's directed in the right direction), but through the other end, one can only see what's near (assuming one keeps the roll steady and just moves around to see the view through the other end). In this context, near and far would be subjective adjuncts for the concepts of subjectivity and objectivity, though even this lacks somewhat of the finality in the area of objectivity at least.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 15,723 Mod ✭✭✭✭smacl

The word subjective refers to the source of the contents of the assertion: the source defined as arising from personal feelings and emotions. If something is sourced in the objective reality then it is not subjective. There is nothing about subjectivity that says something need be provable in order to be objective. It merely needs not be the product of personal feelings or emotions

Subjective means deriving from a single point of view. Every argument you've made in this thread comes solely from your point of view and as such is subjective, unless of course you can point use to to another independent source that corroborates your claims.

robindch wrote: »
    Unfortunately, that would require the holder of the subjective view to assert or to make some implicit acknowledgement of their subjectivity and could be forced to abandon it, should it be found to fail the objectivity test.

You mean its subjective only if the holder affirms the view stems from feelings/emotion?. Or failing that, the view fails the objectivity test (whatever that is).

What is the objectivity test?

It's like looking down the two ends of the same empty toilet-roll - from one end, one sees far away (or one could, if it's directed in the right direction), but through the other end, one can only see what's near (assuming one keeps the roll steady and just moves around to see the view through the other end). In this context, near and far would be subjective adjuncts for the concepts of subjectivity and objectivity, though even this lacks somewhat of the finality in the area of objectivity at least.

No idea what that means I'm afraid. I was interested in whether an experience (such as stubbing ones toe without witness) was an objective experience or a subjective one (where subjective = feelings and emotions or smacl's belief and opinion. Such that I need to say next time "Ouch! I believe I've stubbed my toe ... better check the cctv to see whether it caught the event on tape so that I objectively stubbed my toe"

• Advertisement

smacl wrote: »
    Subjective means deriving from a single point of view. Every argument you've made in this thread comes solely from your point of view and as such is subjective, unless of course you can point use to to another independent source that corroborates your claims.

That isn't the meaning of the word.

Subjective is defined as arising from a certain aspect of oneself: feelings and emotions. Or your 'beliefs and opinions' (which I read as 'perhaps fervently held belief and opinions but not necessarily the case').

Mark Hamill shares that view: he holds that my position stems from feelings and emotion. I'm sure you've said as much yourself in the past.

Mark might note your not-so-subtle shift to silence on the source of the position. You've moved from subjective = belief/opinion to 'its a single view' with no mention of the source of the view.

Which presumably means 'it can be the case, but you were the only witness'

You (for the purposes of the discussion) admired the womans attractive figure today. Is that the case. Or is it not the case.

If holding it to be the case that you cast an appreciative glance, do you know you cast that glance?

So I'm walking down the street and I see a good looking woman. I think to myself that is a good looking woman. I turn to my friend and say "isn't that a good looking woman?" My friend looks back at me bemusedly and says "what woman? There's no one there". That is pretty much the reaction you're going to get trying to sell bible stories and the wonders of your chosen god on an atheist forum. Sorry, but just no. You can try to tart it up however you like but it remains fantasy and nonsense from where I'm sitting. Subjectively of course.

So I'm walking down the street and I see a good looking woman. I think to myself that is a good looking woman. I turn to my friend and say "isn't that a good looking woman?" My friend looks back at me bemusedly and says "what woman? There's no one there". That is pretty much the reaction you're going to get trying to sell bible stories and the wonders of your chosen god on an atheist forum. Sorry, but just no. You can try to tart it up however you like but it remains fantasy and nonsense from where I'm sitting. Subjectively of course.

In the space of but a few posts:

You shifted from subjective = sourced in belief and opinions (something I'm familiar with you saying)

To subjective = the position of but one (no comment on source for the position). I'm not so familiar with that one. And so was teasing out your agreeing the single position can be the case and that the person can know its the case. Even if they can't prove it to others.

To abandoning the ring altogether..

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

The aim is to posit a theology which would negate a number of classic objections to the Christian faith.

You are very late to this - Catholic theology has been entirely immune to evidence and reason for hundreds of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,771 ✭✭✭Mark Hamill

It serves in the manner described. If you contend with the manner described (society shifting from the constraint imposed by a formerly theocratic society) then by all means contend

I have already contended it, it is up to you to substantiate it. You declared that people have swapped one "self-serving god" for the "self-serving god" of secularism. Prove it.
    Then you ought look up the word. My not being able to prove I stubbed my toe doesn't render the expererience a subjective one

My pointing to where I say I stubbed my toe demonstrates nothing. You.might use subjective feelings to assess whether you think I am telling the truth or not, but my claim is not demonstrable. It could be utterly false

Rather than continue, we might as well resolve this. When you look up the word.

Whilst the word does mean 'based on own feelings' you need to show

non-demonstrable event = event must be based on feelings.

As you read this word right now (note the time) you are saying your reading the word was a subjective experience. One based on feelings and emotions. You cannot demonstrate to anyone that the event (your reading the word at the noted time) happened.

I think we might be at a resolution to part of our longstanding problem: you don't know what the word "subjective" means.

You don't seem to understand where we are in the discussion. I suppose when you spin in place so much, directions get very confusing.
    You earlier said:
    I objectively broke my toe (because I can show it to you)
    So I am taking it that you broke it and can show that it is broken with empirical evidence.
    We are know talking about the cause of the brake.

If you show me the hammer you dropped one your toe to brake it- objective claim with objective evidence. You can demonstrate that hammers exits and you can show me how it brakes a toe by dropping it on mine.
    If you claim god broke it by making you drop the hammer - subjective emotional claim based on subjective emotional evidence. You cannot show me that god exists, or show that god actually broke your toe (and you weren't just clumsy).
    The subjective applies to your claim about god causing your brake, because you have no objective evidence for god (something you pride yourself on, despite a lack of explanation as to why you think objective evidence is inferior to your subjective god).

Demonstrating some outcome as being objective reality (your toe is broken) does not render any claim about the event causing that outcome automatically objective. If your claim is indistinguishable from not happening at all, then it is indistinguishable from delusion, hence it is a subjective claim.

• Advertisement

1. I need to worship God / God is a big bully who wants us to subject ourselves cravenly at his feet

Response: there is no need to worship God if you don't want to. It makes no difference to your salvation or no.

4. I have to do something to be saved.

Response. You don't have to lift a finger to be saved. You will be saved by default, unless you reject salvation. You don't have to be good, or go to church, or listen to me. There isn't one thing you have to do.

So I don't have to worship god or do anything to be saved. Therefore god saves people 100% arbitrarily.
    2. What about all the other religions? Are they all wrong.

Response: other religions (and philosophies) are false gods (for reasons given). But they can contribute to a persons salvation. There are many paths to the summit.

4. I have to do something to be saved.

Response. You don't have to lift a finger to be saved. You will be saved by default, unless you reject salvation. You don't have to be good, or go to church, or listen to me. There isn't one thing you have to do.

Wait, you said that I don't need to do anything to be saved in 4, but here in 2 you say what we believe can effect salvation. Which is it, does our actions effect salvation or not?
    3. I have to believe something for which I have no evidence.

Response: Not so. If arriving at belief, you will be in that state because you have all the evidence you require for belief. You are not required to believe anything without evidence.

But if I do not arrive at belief, then I will not be in that state because there is no evidence for it. Therefore I am required to believe without evidence.
    7. If God can't be evidenced, God is subjective.

Response: let's see if Mark Hamill can square his reasoning with the definition of subjective.

Be nice if you could get the argument right. If god can't be evidenced, then belief in god is indistinguishable from delusion. Therefore that belief is subjective. Just like all of the beliefs in other gods that you believe are false.

smacl wrote:
    Subjective means deriving from a single point of view.
    That isn't the meaning of the word.

Yes it is:
    1. existing in the mind; belonging to the thinking subject rather than to the object of thought (opposed to objective).
    2. pertaining to or characteristic of an individual; personal; individual: a subjective evaluation.
    3. placing excessive emphasis on one's own moods, attitudes, opinions, etc.; unduly egocentric.
    4. Philosophy. relating to or of the nature of an object as it is known in the mind as distinct from a thing in itself.
    Definition of subjective

(Entry 1 of 2)
    1 : of, relating to, or constituting a subject: such as
    a obsolete : of, relating to, or characteristic of one that is a subject especially in lack of freedom of action or in submissiveness
    b : being or relating to a grammatical subject especially : nominative
    2 : of or relating to the essential being of that which has substance, qualities, attributes, or relations
    3a : characteristic of or belonging to reality as perceived rather than as independent of mind : phenomenal — compare objective sense 2a
    b : relating to or being experience or knowledge as conditioned by personal mental characteristics or states
    4a(1) : peculiar to a particular individual : personal subjective judgments
    (2) : modified or affected by personal views, experience, or background a subjective account of the incident
    b : arising from conditions within the brain or sense organs and not directly caused by external stimuli subjective sensations
    c : arising out of or identified by means of one's perception of one's own states and processes a subjective symptom of disease — compare objective sense 2c
    5 : lacking in reality or substance : illusory

In general, subjective means derived from a single point of view.
    Specific subjective claims be emotional or delusional, but they are all ultimately subjective because they are of singular source with no external (i.e. objective) rationale.

What is the objectivity test?
    It's the means by which distinguish between subjectivity and objectivity - as a subject, we are inherently subjective, but should that limit our ability to determine whether we are being truly objective?

But we - as fallible beings composed of atoms - are also objects within the physical world, so that suggest that objectivity is possible, at least in principle. And what about the overlap between the two? Can it be the case that one can be subjective while being objective? Or the opposite - can one fail to be subjective while also failing to be objective? This suggest a continuum from complete subjectivity at one end through objective subjectivity, then subjective objectivity and finally coming to complete objectivity.

The truth seems to lie somewhere upon that spectrum, with the position objectively differing for each of us.

So I don't have to worship god or do anything to be saved. Therefore god saves people 100% arbitrarily.

Quite the opposite. He will surely bring you to belief unless you prevent that.

Damnation occurs from your doing something (namely, refusal to be brought to belief. Preventing being brought to belief). It is not arbitrary so: it is a function of your doing nothing (in which case arrival at belief and salvation) or doing something (in which case damnation)

It's a bit like the climate crisis (in the event you hold to man-made climate disaster in the offing). If we do nothing about our current practices then we will* surely arrive at one destination. If we do something (i.e. change our practices) we will arrive at another destination.

Doing nothing about our current practices and doing something are two possibilities. Two possibilities are all that is required to achieve two outcomes.

Indeed, the climate crisis can be seen as a case of refusing to believe the truth and so be saved. For if we fully believed that we are destroying our planet (and so ourselves) we would be saved*. Of course, we don't fully believe. We might believe in part, but nevertheless book our flight to a sun destination. Self interest still at work.

[* Full belief of the evidence being presented would bring an end-of-self of sorts. We would cease and desist from (i.e. surrender) the kind of self-absorbed behaviours that are destroying the planet.

For this illustration I am assuming that ceasing and desisting, arising from full belief of the evidence, would save us. There are many who reckon its already too late. Amongst them, me.

There are simply too many self's to overcome. What will and is occurring on self vs. climate/planet is precisely the same thing that occurs in relation the larger issue of self vs. God. The creation of false gods.

Remember the purpose of creating false gods: something to bow to because there is a sense that we need to bow. But we create a false god that only requires us to bow so far. Outside that, self can continue to do as it pleases.

And so we exchange plastic straws for paper ones. Or forgoe disposable coffee cups. Or buy a bag for life. We head down to Power City and dump our short life electrical goods, then head in to buy the latest model.

And book our holidays in the sun.

And when jolted by a threat to self, we'll climb over each other to stockpile whatever it is that is being threatened. Whether individually down at the supermarket. Or nationally in our voting in politicians who promise to do what it takes to protect our selfs.

Build The Wall.]

Wait, you said that I don't need to do anything to be saved in 4, but here in 2 you say what we believe can effect salvation. Which is it, does our actions effect salvation or not?

Believe is a state of being (stative verb). You need to arrive in that position alright. But it is not you who brings you to that state. Rather, it is evidence which has you in that state.

But if I do not arrive at belief, then I will not be in that state because there is no evidence for it. Therefore I am required to believe without evidence.

If there is no evidence that will because the evidence was evaded by you. The attempt will be made to put the evidence before you. But you can evade.

You won't believe without evidence. And won't therefore be saved. There is no requirement to believe without evidence. Indeed, it is impossible to believe without evidence.

Be nice if you could get the argument right. If god can't be evidenced, then belief in god is indistinguishable from delusion. Therefore that belief is subjective. Just like all of the beliefs in other gods that you believe are false.

If God / my stubbing my toe being the cause of a toe break can't be evidenced then it is indistiguishable from delusion from your perspective. But not mine.

Are you saying my stubbing my toe is a subjective belief I have, merely because I can't evidence it to you? That even though I was there to see myself stubbing my toe, I merely feel I have stubbed my toe and possibly haven't actually stubbed it at all?

All our experiences in the objective reality are subjective?

You err at 'therefore' still apparently not having looked up the word subjective.

It's the means by which distinguish between subjectivity and objectivity - as a subject, we are inherently subjective, but should that limit our ability to determine whether we are being truly objective?

But we - as fallible beings composed of atoms - are also objects within the physical world, so that suggest that objectivity is possible, at least in principle. And what about the overlap between the two? Can it be the case that one can be subjective while being objective? Or the opposite - can one fail to be subjective while also failing to be objective? This suggest a continuum from complete subjectivity at one end through objective subjectivity, then subjective objectivity and finally coming to complete objectivity.

The truth seems to lie somewhere upon that spectrum, with the position objectively differing for each of us.

Okay. 4 people have a subjective take on a car crash they witness. Or 12 angry men.

But what of their witnessing the fact of a car crash? Did a car crash happen objectively ? And if viewing something alone, such as the million and one things we view alone each day. Did they happen objectively? Say my stubbing my toe.

Smacl seems to have bailed in amswering. Mark still appears to be confusing how his being faced with the assertion a toe was stubbed is not the same as a person faced with stubbing their toe (calling their experience subjective for them because it can't be evidenced to him)

What do you say about your stubbing your toe alone. An objective experience?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

I say "Read an intro to philosophy book".

I say "Read an intro to philosophy book".

I say answer.

But it appears an answer is loosening the reins on the kind of subjective which is consistently applied to my positon on here

We have seen an expansion from "subjective" (stemming from feelings, emotions, beliefs.. the fuzzier stuff) to "subjective" (the only one present).

It is not clear what the view is regarding this latter subjective (only one present for an event which happens, say stubbing one's toe). Mark appears to think it the former subjective: one believes they stubbed their toe. Or feels they stubbed their toe.

Smacl went silent on the matter of his admiring a womans figure. I'm not sure whether he knows he admired or whether he agrees with Mark, he only believes he admired her figure and that being a belief, he may not have admired her figure at all.

What do you think?

You say this

In general, subjective means derived from a single point of view.
    Specific subjective claims be emotional or delusional, but they are all ultimately subjective because they are of singular source with no external (i.e. objective) rationale.

..and this.
    Mark wrote:
    If god can't be evidenced, then belief in god is indistinguishable from delusion. Therefore that belief is subjective.

In your first statement you appear to distinguish between subjective (emotional, feelings) and subjective (singular source).

The former subjective we can agree, are beliefs (where beliefs are defined as being prone to error). You don't say what the position is on the latter subjective (say my observing myself stubbing my toe). This stubbing can't be evidenced as there is a singular source, me. Is this a belief too (and prone to error - that is, even though I witnessed my toe stubbing I might not have stubbed my toe at all)?

In your second statement, you appear to hold non evidencing as necessarily belief in. So non ability to evidence my toe stubbing means I believe I stubbed my toe. And since my belief (subject to error), I must consider that it might not actually have happened.

You seem to be saying that all our daily experiences are beliefs. Say driving a car and the millions of observations made in the course of that pursuit - these are all beliefs and prone to error. How remarkably accurate our beliefs (which are all prone to error) must be, given our comparative triumph in car driving.

It's partially objective and partially subjective - existing on that spectrum I mentioned above. The physicality of the experience - object impacts object - leading to the objective portion of the event, and the feelings generated creating the subjective portion, at least within the mind of the walker anyway. To keep things simple, it seems easier to consider the simple case of a human walker and an inanimate rock where there's a single locus of subjectivity, divided over two objects. The case of two people bumping into each other would create two subjective experiences, this complicating the gedankenexperiment.

Depending on the speed of the relative impact and the size, density and hardness of the rock, one would enjoy different subjective experiences extending from objectively subject (were the rock small) and subjectively objective (were the rock large). Seems reasons to assume that were the impact unnoticeable, then the impact would be entirely objective, and were it to lead to the death of the subject or the destruction of the rock (the object), then it would be entirely subjective.

BTW, for the sake of simplicity, it seems wise to omit the possibility of contingency within the simple subject/object world we're considering. Adding contingency, or at least accounting for its simpler forms and influences, would complicate matters somewhat.

• Advertisement

It's partially objective and partially subjective - existing on that spectrum I mentioned above. The physicality of the experience - object impacts object - leading to the objective portion of the event, and the feelings generated creating the subjective portion, at least within the mind of the walker anyway.

It was that objective element I was interested in. One will go 'feck, that hurt, hope its not broken'. The other will call an ambulance. Subjective responses. Both have had an objective experience however: toe met rock and toe was broken.

For physicality of experience I assume you mean objective reality (my toe) encountering objective reality (a raised patio slab)

What I have encountered on here regarding the physicality of experience in relation to God (I, part of objective reality, meets him, part of the objective reality) is the claim that the encounter necessarily lies on the subjective side.

Necessarily is the bit I have a problem with. That is an unsupported step.

To keep things simple, it seems easier to consider the simple case of a human walker and an inanimate rock where there's a single locus of subjectivity, divided over two objects. The case of two people bumping into each other would create two subjective experiences, this complicating the gedankenexperiment.

Depending on the speed of the relative impact and the size, density and hardness of the rock, one would enjoy different subjective experiences extending from objectively subject (were the rock small) and subjectively objective (were the rock large). Seems reasons to assume that were the impact unnoticeable, then the impact would be entirely objective, and were it to lead to the death of the subject or the destruction of the rock (the object), then it would be entirely subjective.

Again you've lost me. Sure, the subjective (defined as emotional, feeling based) would vary depending on size, speed, hardness. But so long as impact detected and shy of the person dying unaware of the impact, the person has had an objective impact.

BTW, for the sake of simplicity, it seems wise to omit the possibility of contingency within the simple subject/object world we're considering. Adding contingency, or at least accounting for its simpler forms and influences, would complicate matters somewhat.

To an extent. Ultimately, we as individuals are the judges of where we encounter that which is objective (our toe did actually hit that slab) and that which might be the result of our subjectivity (our self-recognised ability to err).

I don't see anyway to evade this. Any decision of ours to refer the matter to an exterior court for judgment arises from our first granting that court authority.

We judge the court to be in a better position to comment when and where we consider ourselves open to error. We don't in some areas: such as stubbing toes. We judge ourselves to be correctly observing.

Rendering every conclusion about objectivity/subjectivity ultimately our own. We either decide ourselves, or we decide to refer cases to an exterior court we've granted authority to.

Like the Catholics pointing to what the Magisterium says. They have granted the Magisterium the authority to tell them what they ought to believe. Rendering whatever they believe their own belief.

So that none have excuse :)

Another picture on salvation being of God and you having to do nothing to be saved vs. damnation all of you, a refusal to be brought to belief. Which results in your damnation.

Quint (God) shooting yellow barrels (truth/evidence) into the shark (you).

Quint's aim is to exhaust the will of the shark and bring it to the surface (belief). The shark's will is naturally bent to staying below the surface. To avoid being brought to the surface.

If the sharks will does nothing, the barrels will bring it to the surface.

If the sharks will insists, and despite the pain that must be borne, it can stay submerged. An exercise of will keeps him submerged.

Do nothing and be saved.
    Do something and be lost.

The analogy is limited of course. There is nothing about the barrels or surfacing which is attractive to the shark. His nature is as a cat catching mice. No option but to.

The truth is a different matter. The truth is beautiful and the lie is ugly. Although the truth hurts (for who enjoys their ugliness exposed) the person who doesn't suppress the truth is, in effect, acknowledging its beauty. Even of that means pain or difficulty or imconvenience or loss of status.

Truth is an attribute, a characteristic, the essence of God. Since that is what he is about, then insofar as you acknowledge truths supreme value in your life, you are acknowleging, by extension, his supremacy in your life. Whenever you tell or live the truth, as opposed to the lie, you acknowledge your love of God (or if that too difficult to swallow, your love of what he stands for.

We all live the truth and live the lie. We love both. That is the set up of this stage called life. An exposure to both options. And ability to taste both.

The question being asked though, is which will you plump for? That we are attracted to the truth isn't enough. Truth is attractive and so we get no credit for our being attracted. No more than iron filings get credit for being attracted to a magnet.

But if we resist being drawn by truths attractiveness. If we prefer our wills bent, the lie. Well that, being of us, being of our effort, receives due payment. For it is right and good that work and effort is paid for.

The wages of sin is death.

Okay. 4 people have a subjective take on a car crash they witness. Or 12 angry men.

But what of their witnessing the fact of a car crash? Did a car crash happen objectively ? And if viewing something alone, such as the million and one things we view alone each day. Did they happen objectively? Say my stubbing my toe.

Smacl seems to have bailed in amswering. Mark still appears to be confusing how his being faced with the assertion a toe was stubbed is not the same as a person faced with stubbing their toe (calling their experience subjective for them because it can't be evidenced to him)

Well pardon me for not amswering :)

You seem to have difficulty distinguishing an event, e.g. a car crash, and the perception of that event by one or more witnesses. The event is objective. Perception and assertions relating to that event are subjective. As these assertions become supported by additional independent observations and evidence they become proportionally less subjective.

Context is also important. I see a woman walking down the street, I have no reason to doubt what I have seen as it is a daily occurrence. I stub my toe, curse floridly and limp along, I know what has happened as it is again a common occurrence. I am visited by an omnipotent being who claims to be my lord and master, I question what I have seen. I check the tequila bottle to make sure I haven't inadvertently swallowed the worm. I look for other indicators that I might be unusually stressed, anxious or otherwise delirious. My belief is that something somewhere has snapped and as a result I have become delusional.

Chatting to a friend who's an addiction counselor a while back, he mentioned a number of his clients have demons. His take on it was that these are very real demons, but still entirely subjective and a part of his client's mind. I'd place your god very much in the same category.

Well pardon me for not amswering :)

You seem to have difficulty distinguishing an event, e.g. a car crash, and the perception of that event by one or more witnesses. The event is objective. Perception and assertions relating to that event are subjective. As these assertions become supported by additional independent observations and evidence they become proportionally less subjective.

I understand the subjective part " the red car broke the lights" when it didn't

I'm looking at the bit "there was a car crash" . The objective bit. Let's assume an event where nobody else was there.

Such as you admiring a figure and no one noticed you admiring a figure
    Context is also important. I see a woman walking down the street, I have no reason to doubt what I have seen as it is a daily occurrence. I stub my toe, curse floridly and limp along, I know what has happened as it is again a common occurrence. I am visited by an omnipotent being who claims to be my lord and master, I question what I have seen. I check the tequila bottle to make sure I haven't inadvertently swallowed the worm. I look for other indicators that I might be unusually stressed, anxious or otherwise delirious. My belief is that something somewhere has snapped and as a result I have become delusional.

We have established that a person has objective experiences sans having to prove it before before deeming it to self as objective.

Now the evaluation stage. The person assesses in light if all available information, including the information supplied by the experience. They decide, in the round, what they consider the case to be. It doesn't matter how fantastical things might appear to someone without access to the same information. That' a matter of scale. Which can be dealt by scale of evidence. If the evidence stitches together such as to accommodate the scale then so be it.

When you have an explantion which posits the condition of mankind, which fits far better than the alternatives then you run with it. Going where the evidence points. This most especially when the evidence of own life (to which we are especially privy) matches the explanation to a T.

What can you do when you have a theory which best fits your observations? But run with it.

Chatting to a friend who's an addiction counselor a while back, he mentioned a number of his clients have demons. His take on it was that these are very real demons, but still entirely subjective and a part of his client's mind. I'd place your god very much in the same category.

No great surprise there. Given the evidence at your disposal. But we aren't talking about how you ought to respond. We are talking about how I ought to respond

And then talking about a leap you make in supposing me deluded. When you more correctly should take an agnostic view.

You too are privy to own life. This needn't produce belief that you are at end of self now, since that conclusion occurs at the end of the process. That doesn't mean you can't take note of self. How promotion of self in subtle and not so subtle ways takes place. How you find there are damaging things you do that you know you shouldn't do but can't seem to help doing. They can be noted. And can be explained away as sourced in other things (such as addictive personality).

No matter. For the process will roll along whatever you do, assessing and evaluating you. It will use your attempts to evade against your self directed way. It will attempt to corner you. To hang you by your own petard ..as it were. To your ultimate benefit of course

:)

For anyone interested in a biblical description of a man arriving at end of self then Romans 7 nails it, terminating with the conclusion at vs. 24.

The passages reference to law can be taken by an unbeliever to mean 'law written on your heart and in your conscience'. There is no need, at this point, to acknowledge this law inside as stemming from God. For there is no need to acknowledge where the law inside comes from in order to find yourself subject to it. Being subject to this law does the necessary work, not your being aware of its source.

If you also happen to acknowledge that this inner law is good (it telling you to be compassionate, kind, etc.) then you are, unbeknownst to yourself, also acknowledging that it is holy (or wholesome).

Recognising yourself as subject to the law. Recognising the law as holy. Recognising the difficulty you have following the law, indeed, finding that no matter how hard you struggle, something within prevents you following it. Law, holy, sin. All whilst an unbeliever in any of these things!

As I was saying: communication between God and man is ongoing, despite man's unbelief. Man subject to a process -whether he likes it or not.

Few people, if given the opportunity to wave a magic wand, would wave to be rid of the law within. We know that although this law cramps our style and that we duck, dodge and transgress it, without it we would go over the side of a cliff and becomes utterly perverted.

The passage can be stripped of any reference to God. It can be read by a confirmed, God-antagonistic athiest even, given all are privy to the workings within themselves.

-

This man is being nailed by wholesome law and what it demands of him. Better said, he is being nailed by his responses to that demand. He recognises that he is in the grip of something he cannot control (there is no need for a person on the way to end of self to know what the correct label for the thing that controls him is: sin). He is recognising that he has a serious dilemma and that self-directed self cannot escape that dilemma. He needs help. He needs a ... er ... crutch.

He has hit belief A. And having met the criterion for salvation and being saved, he can immediately utter his now-knowledge of what lay beneath resolution to his problem

"Thanks be to God, through Jesus Christ."

And then talking about a leap you make in supposing me deluded. When you more correctly should take an agnostic view.

Why on earth should I take an agnostic view? Someone asserts something incredulous and implores that I share their fantastical beliefs I start by asking them to provide some rather strong support for these beliefs. If they can't, I dismiss their assertion as no more than subjective belief or opinion. When the assertion amounts to the same tired old religious proselytising, not only do I find it to be utter nonsense, but I find it objectionable as this is stuff I've rejected years ago and had to repeat that rejection process numerous times.

I have no objections to religious people holding and publicly celebrating their strongly held beliefs. Once they become pushy about me subscribing to their beliefs it is an entirely different matter.

Why on earth should I take an agnostic view? Someone asserts something incredulous and implores that I share their fantastical beliefs

I don't implore anything. I state my position (in an environment where folk state theirs) and see folk saying its a delusion.

I don't mind that they don't believe it. I don't expect them to believe it. Far from it. I expect them to object with everything they have.

What I am highlighting is the jump to "delusion". That's a particular objection (where successful objections reinforce the position the person making them occupies. The better an objection is sustained to an attacking view, the more their own position is defended). It has been the case that "lack of evidencing" has been taken to support the charge of delusion. We have been seeing that lack of evidencing says nothing at all about the objectivity of the experience. It turns out we can know things, despite being unable to evidence them to anyone else. Lack of evidencing has zero impact on the possible objectivity of my position. The charge of delusion cannot be supported in this way since it makes an unsustainable assumption regarding the objectivity of my position.

The next problem is scale. Fantastical scale. You ought to appreciate that scale on one side can be overcome by a corresponding increase in evidence to support the case on the other. Sure, it's my assessment that the evidence for the case matches the scale of the proposition. But that's the same balance to be struck when it comes to assessing anything we know from personal, unevidence-able experience. From God down to admiring a woman's figure. If you can know the one, based on self-assessment of the evidence, then you can know the other.

Flight might appear to have immense scale to those without the tools or technology to make flying machines. That scale is a relative trifle to others, who have the necessary tools. Whether the latter can show a flying machine to the former isn't relevant. What's relevant is their being able to make flying machines and they know it.

Scale isn't an issue in itself. Yet the charge of "delusion" has relied on it.

Not being able to evidence to others and scale. The grounds for the charge of "delusion" turn out to stand on sand. What grounds are left for making the charge of delusion. If not these?

What I am highlighting is the jump to "delusion". That's a particular objection (successful objections reinforcing the position the person making it occupies. The more objection is sustained, the more their own position is defended. It has been the case that lack of evidencing has been taken to support the charge of delusion. We have been seeing that lack of evidencing says nothing at all about the objectivity of the experience. It turns out we can know things, despite being unable to evidence them to anyone else. Lack of evidencing has zero impact on the objectivity of the case. The charge of delusion cannot be supported in this way.

You perhaps need take more cognizance of the fact you're posting in an atheist forum so. In this forum the self evident truth, as you call it, is that people don't believe gods exist. They are typically of the opinion that gods are a human invention and only exist in the imagination of the religious. Insisting that anyone here should treat the existence of gods as credible is not a reasonable starting point for a discussion. As per my initial response to your opening post, I'm of the opinion you've started this discussion in the wrong forum. If you don't want your beliefs labelled as nonsense, perhaps post in the Christianity forum. If you want a broad spectrum of mixed beliefs, maybe after hours. Of course you're welcome to post as you wish in this forum, but not on the basis that your god exists outside of your own personally held subjective belief.

You perhaps need take more cognizance of the fact you're posting in an atheist forum so. In this forum the self evident truth, as you call it, is that people don't believe gods exist. They are typically of the opinion that gods are a human invention and only exist in the imagination of the religious. Insisting that anyone here should treat the existence of gods as credible is not a reasonable starting point for a discussion.

I understand the means by which credibility is held to be established on this forum. Silence on a matter doesn't assign a matter any credibility since silence is, well, silence.

In seeking to silence a particular objection I am not adding to credibility. I am doing some damage to incredibility however.

The matter to hand is silencing the delusion charge. The charge of delusion is a positive statement. And positive statements (as you will know) require foundations upon which to make them.

As per my initial response to your opening post, I'm of the opinion you've started this discussion in the wrong forum. If you don't want your beliefs labelled as nonsense

Nonsense is a positive statement too. It is not silence. It too requires foundations. It doesn't matter what forum I am in, the rules are the same. Make a positive statement, then foundations for that positive statement.

perhaps post in the Christianity forum. If you want a broad spectrum of mixed beliefs, maybe after hours. Of course you're welcome to post as you wish in this forum, but not on the basis that your god exists outside of your own personally held subjective belief.

I take it you are stating your own personal experiences (such as admiring a womans figure yesterday) are all subjective beliefs? Where subjective beliefs are defined as perhaps not having happened at all.

He who lives by subjective beliefs dies by same.

I am quite happy on this forum, given the silencing of a positive statement (delusion, nonsense) is the aim. I also have been taking the opportunity to lay out a theology which seeks to sidestep some of the more common objections atheists have - such as having to worship at the feet of God. The aim isn't, of course, to prove this is the way it is. But given atheist objections are raised to other theologies they don't believe in, they might as well see how their objections fair to this theology they don't believe in. Call it a thought experiment :)

And who knows. Perhaps someone will be able to see a hint of Romans 7 man at work in themselves. Or the exercise of selfs as laying at the root of the worlds problems. Call it "evangelism through the back door whilst I'm at it".

• Advertisement

Nonsense is a positive statement too. It is not silence. It too requires foundations. It doesn't matter what forum I am in, the rules are the same. Make a positive statement, then foundations for that positive statement.

You should perhaps better acquaint yourself with this forum so. The last long running thread by a theist on this forum keen on creationism got re-titled 'Origin of specious nonsense', that being most people's position on the subject in this neck of the woods.
    Perhaps someone will be able to see a hint of Romans 7 man at work in themselves.

Perhaps they will, though the Christian bible isn't exactly canon here either, and Romans 7 man at work sounds like a Monty Python Australian pop cross over from where I'm sitting,

Advertisement