Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many lights on your tree?

• 04-12-2019 12:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭

Out first set of lights was one of those old style (it WAS 2001) little glass bulb strings with 160 white lights on it.

Gradually we added to it with strings of various lengths.

Last year however I replaced all the glass ones with LEDs including buying extra ones when they were sold off after Xmas. These extra ones didn't make the tree last year. There were 1,000 LEDs on it at that point.

It was 7.5 foot of glowing goodness...

So I hadn't told the missus about the ones I bought after xmas & added them to the tree this year for a total of 2,250.

It's one magnificent beautiful bright bastard my tree.

I actually have another string of 300 that I didn't put on it & may have to not as there's been complaints about the room being too bright :)

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

2250? How big is the tree? Or are they extremely low wattage?

I've one pack of 300 for when I get the tree. That will likely be it!

There's 200 much lower wattage ones wrapped around the stair bannisters already though.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I've 1,500 LED cluster lights on a slim 7ft tree. Because they're small lights, they only barely cover it!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭OU812

L1011 wrote: »
    2250? How big is the tree? Or are they extremely low wattage?

I've one pack of 300 for when I get the tree. That will likely be it!

There's 200 much lower wattage ones wrapped around the stair bannisters already though.

7.5 foot, the majority of them are cluster lights, so the strands are shorter.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

OU812 wrote: »
    Out first set of lights was one of those old style (it WAS 2001) little glass bulb strings with 160 white lights on it.

Gradually we added to it with strings of various lengths.

Last year however I replaced all the glass ones with LEDs including buying extra ones when they were sold off after Xmas. These extra ones didn't make the tree last year. There were 1,000 LEDs on it at that point.

It was 7.5 foot of glowing goodness...

So I hadn't told the missus about the ones I bought after xmas & added them to the tree this year for a total of 2,250.

It's one magnificent beautiful bright bastard my tree.

I actually have another string of 300 that I didn't put on it & may have to not as there's been complaints about the room being too bright :)

I hope you pass out suntan cream to any guests :D

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

I only have 500 lights on my 7foot tree but as they are spread put it covers the tree loads.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

We have around 1500 on a 7ft tree. Almost 1000 of them are cluster lights so we bought a single strand of lights to fill the gaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

480 here - although I did have a moment of doubt when we put it up as I was sure we had more last year but we didn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Got the new 2000 set for an 8 foot tree which wider than average. Will see what it’s like, have a few smaller bunches if it needs a top up.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

Roughly 1000 on a 7ft tree, but we're getting a real one this year, which will likely be 9ft, so I may need more lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,473 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

About 400 on a 6ft tree.
    Same lights and tree since 1995

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

7ft tree, 600 white LED's none cluster, & thats plenty! Our 6ft slim tree has 200 white LED's, none cluster & thats probably about 100 short of what we'd like so will probably get another 200 for it, if not this year defintely in the sales for next year.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 8,444 ✭✭✭micks_address

DvB wrote: »
    7ft tree, 600 white LED's none cluster, & thats plenty! Our 6ft slim tree has 200 white LED's, none cluster & thats probably about 100 short of what we'd like so will probably get another 200 for it, if not this year defintely in the sales for next year.

800 warm white led... uses 10 watts power when on.. 7 foot tree... biggest hassle was length of lights...very awkward to wrap around tree

I suppose it’s a prerogative how many lights go on. We’d always go for the more the merrier because my grandfather loved Christmas lights. He was always fixing at them both inside and outside . The more colorful the better with him.

• Administrators, Business & Finance Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,905 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Toots

My guide to how many lights to stick on is that it should have enough lights so as to be somewhat visible from space. :pac:

Toots wrote: »
    My guide to how many lights to stick on is that it should have enough lights so as to be somewhat visible from space. :pac:

Our test is that we can see the reflection on our sitting room window. It’s a great test to see if it’s even or we’ve got blank spots. Then we go for a drive down the road and back up so we see them well from the road. :)

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,055 ✭✭✭✭beertons

1500 lights, a few not working, tree is smaller than me, maybe 5 foot 5. I should ask my parents actually, it was bigger than them, and they are both 5f 4

How many lights would this bad boy need???

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-50670477

Not enough branches is there or width. Probably not as many as we think.

Postgrad10 wrote: »
    Not enough branches is there or width. Probably not as many as we think.

Complete random guess...........20,000?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I think my tree is 7ft or 7.5ft I have 2000 cluster lights on mine warm white it’s the first year to have that many

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

Knew after all the blown incandescent fairy lights Xmas 2018 with all the spares gone, that XMAS 2019 was when I'd finally make the switch to LED. Had to be all or nothing because Livingroom Tree and Fireplace Garland is visible to and from the Hall Stairs Garland which is visible to and from the Diningroom Tree and Fireplace Garland. ie. Old incandescents in any one area would lash with the LED's in another area visible from it.

Saved a fortune buying all the sets of LED's I'd need in January 2019.

Bought in Woodies and 'Golden Glow' were the obvious choice because I loved the golden glow of our old incandescent fairy lights........except it turns out that was the wrong choice now that I've finally gotten to use them. Woodies Golden Glow is a harsh white with a pink tint !!! ARRGGGh. Next door also have LED's on their tree with exactly the colour temperature white LED's I would have wanted, so I just asked them what they were and he said, Woodies 'Warm White'.

The harshness and pink tint has taken the shine off what I thought was going to both look great, save electricity, be less of a fire hazard and end the yearly nightmare of replacing blown bulbs to get the sets working and watching them like a hawk to catch any further blown bulbs and replace before they hit critical mass, the fuse bulb for the series goes and a whole series of bulbs goes out and you can no longer pinpoint the genuinely blown bulbs, leaving a big gap of lights on the tree. Sure most of that is sorted withe the new LED's but God Damnit!! Wheres my feckin 'Golden Glow'. I didn't ask for Car Headlight White with a Pink Tint!! Arrgghh.

Oh yeah, Almost Forgot.

2 sets of 600 = 1200 LEDs on the Living Room 10ft Artificial Tree.

Some of you folks with 1500 LED's an a 7ft tree amazes me. I thought the density of lights with 1200 on my 10ft was borderline excessive as it is and I LOVE loads of lights on our trees,

1 set of 600 on the Dining room 6ft Artificial Tree
    1 set of 600 on the 35ft of Hall Stairs and Landing Garland.
    1 set of 200 on the Living Room Fireplace Garland
    1 set of 200 on the Dining Room Fireplace Garland

I've never found any LEDs that give off the same warm yellow glow as fairy lights.
    I'm happy with my lights at the moment, but it's never been quite the same since I had to make the switch a few years ago.

I've 1,500 lights my 7ft tree, but cluster lights are tiny and there's about 4 lights where there would have been one fairy light because they're so closely packed together!!

I love only having one set though. Multiple lights and plugs drives me crazy!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,132 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

1100 on my 7ft tree

• Registered Users, Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 2,174 Mod ✭✭✭✭Nigel Fairservice

I've got 520 on my 7 foot tree. I thought I had too many on it until I read this thread :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,224 ✭✭✭zerosugarbuzz

OU812 wrote: »
    7.5 foot, the majority of them are cluster lights, so the strands are shorter.

Any chance of a pic?

I put 920 on a pop up tree yesterday, clusters again, so barely made it all the way around!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭kieran.

800 firefly lights on a 7.5ft tree.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Posy wrote: »
    I put 920 on a pop up tree yesterday, clusters again, so barely made it all the way around!!

Not a fan of those cluster lights. We bought one set last year & ended up not using them on the main tree as they covered sucha small area.

We relegated them to the second 'skinny' tree on top of the ones we already have for that one.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Posy wrote: »
    I've never found any LEDs that give off the same warm yellow glow as fairy lights.
    I'm happy with my lights at the moment, but it's never been quite the same since I had to make the switch a few years ago.

I've 1,500 lights my 7ft tree, but cluster lights are tiny and there's about 4 lights where there would have been one fairy light because they're so closely packed together!!

I love only having one set though. Multiple lights and plugs drives me crazy!

I got a set of LED lights called, ULTRABIRGHTS and they really are bright. I highly recommend them, I only have 480 lights on a 7 foot tree but they're so bright it looks like way more.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Our is a 7.5ft tree, and we have 500 LEDs that can be white or coloured - there are eight settings to play with. At the moment we have it cycling between the two. Our downstairs tree is fibre optic and I can't be bothered counting :D

Advertisement