Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motley Fool or Simply Wallstreet

Options
  • 30-11-2019 12:42pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭

I'm planning on availing of the black Friday sale for an annual subscription. Both are priced similar, which one would be better?
    I'm leaning towards Fool as I have gotten many tips from their article's but Simply wallstreet has a great platform.
    Any ideas?

Motley Fool

simplywall

Or do folks think they are a gimmick?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Nobody knows anything when it comes to the market, opinion makers are just arse holes flogging noise

• Registered Users Posts: 350 ✭✭kal7

Have a look at stockopedia too,
    Great if you like all graphs, and willing to pay subscription.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 9,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

I'm planning on availing of the black Friday sale for an annual subscription. Both are priced similar, which one would be better?
    I'm leaning towards Fool as I have gotten many tips from their article's but Simply wallstreet has a great platform.
    Any ideas?

Motley Fool

simplywall

Or do folks think they are a gimmick?

What exactly are you after? There are plenty of services out there that will give you good tips and you can even dig them up yourself if you care to use a service such as ValueLine. Most of these services meet their objective, other wise they would not be around. The thing is though is that they encourage bad behaviour on the part of the investor - stock churn: Investors who use these services tend to never hold on to anything long enough for it to deliver. Every month they get new ideas so they sell what they hold to buy the next great idea and so on. The truth is you only need one or two good ideas in a year and very often none at all to grow your portfolio. And most of these services add no value in this respect, so I'd pass on both if I were you.

I'm out of the business now, so I don't keep track of it as much as I did, but if you are looking for something to educate yourself more in managing your investments then perhaps have a look at BetterInvesting.org, their magazine usually included a few articles on portfolio management as well as a few US stocks to study. Or perhaps AAII, they uses to have a few model portfolios and discussing on why to do a substitution etc... I use past tenses because I'm no longer involved in the industry.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,322 ✭✭✭✭Supercell

Why not use https://seekingalpha.com/ , its free!

Have a weather station?, why not join the Ireland Weather Network - http://irelandweather.eu/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

The Motley Fool is the like The Sun or The Mirror of share tipping. I'd steer well clear.
    Go to articles 6 months old, see how the prices are doing now. More often than not they'll
    be the same or lower. You don't need to pay for that kind of advice.

• Advertisement

Bob Harris wrote: »
    The Motley Fool is the like The Sun or The Mirror of share tipping. I'd steer well clear.
    Go to articles 6 months old, see how the prices are doing now. More often than not they'll
    be the same or lower. You don't need to pay for that kind of advice.

It would probably help if you understand stood how to use such information, which you clearly don’t if measuring performance on the basis of six months!

Jim2007 wrote: »
    It would probably help if you understand stood how to use such information, which you clearly don’t if measuring performance on the basis of six months!

it goes back to your earlier point Jim that many articles are about flavour of the month stocks tipped for short term gains i.e. stock churn.

You will also have starkly contrasting viewpoints from different contributors within days of each other, most based on nothing more than relatively superficial data and personal bias/opinion.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 186 ✭✭Kickstart1.3

Just to update, I went ahead with Motley Fool's black Friday deal. It's the basic package. I'm not impressed, it offers very little other than access to past articles and a weekly email shilling a few uninspiring stocks. The basic package does nothing more than try and upsell to you.
    I'm sorry I didn't go with Simply Wallstreet as it offers a lot more in the way of company analysis, stock screening and better front end.
    Anyways, I'm within the 30 day subscription so I can go and cancel. But I have missed out on the Black Friday deal for simply Wallstreet.
    I think I'll email them directly and see can I still get the deal.....

I google searched a company name this morning and there were 3 results in 'Top Stories' two of which were Motley Fool articles the other one by the company's main broker.

In one Motley article posted 22 hours ago the conclusion is "I would steer clear of investing in this'

In the other posted 2 days ago "The potential upside, if all goes right, is huge, For investors with greater appetite for risk, like the millennials, I would still suggest this share"

Neither is based on anything other than easily sourced material on the web and why I said above that there is little substance to most of what they post.

Bob Harris wrote: »
    it goes back to your earlier point Jim that many articles are about flavour of the month stocks tipped for short term gains i.e. stock churn.

You will also have starkly contrasting viewpoints from different contributors within days of each other, most based on nothing more than relatively superficial data and personal bias/opinion.

You can only take this information as a starting point, you have to do your own research from there and manage the investment.

• Advertisement

Just to update, I went ahead with Motley Fool's black Friday deal. It's the basic package. I'm not impressed, it offers very little other than access to past articles and a weekly email shilling a few uninspiring stocks. The basic package does nothing more than try and upsell to you.
    I'm sorry I didn't go with Simply Wallstreet as it offers a lot more in the way of company analysis, stock screening and better front end.
    Anyways, I'm within the 30 day subscription so I can go and cancel. But I have missed out on the Black Friday deal for simply Wallstreet.
    I think I'll email them directly and see can I still get the deal.....

This goes back to my original question - what are you after. None of those services go beyond offering you a few stock tips and a bit of analysis. There is no magic solution, you are going to have to the hard work in analysis and management of the investment.

I have no hesitation is say that if you were to restrict yourself to the DJI, use Valueline's free analysis sheets and use a value strategy such as the 'Dogs of the Dow', you could expect to average about 8% - 12% over a 20+ year period. Which means you would double your money about every five or six years.

Did you consider either of the two I suggested might be a better match, if so why did you dismiss them?

Advertisement