Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Know More About Your Elves - #20 Scarinae

• 25-11-2019 10:18pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭

What a week!!

Rudolph day today, 29 days tomorrow, Christmas FM Thursday, Advent Calendar and December day on Sunday.

And it is also sadly our last week of Know Your Elves- and we are finishing up with a fabulous boardsie and forum regular, Scarinae. :):)

I will begin:

-Favourite book/author?

-Real tree or fake tree?

-How is your cat taking to the decorations?

-Free for a coffee when you're home? :D

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,714 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Last Know Your Elves of 2019 is here!

Thanks to all who's participated throughout, lets go out with a bang with Scarine.

First single you ever bought?

Favourite song at the moment?

Favourite movie ever?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Posy wrote: »
    What a week!!

Rudolph day today, 29 days tomorrow, Christmas FM Thursday, Advent Calendar and December day on Sunday.

And it is also sadly our last week of Know Your Elves- and we are finishing up with a fabulous boardsie and forum regular, Scarinae. :):)

I will begin:

-Favourite book/author?

-Real tree or fake tree?

Sorry totally missed these as the forum is so busy at the minute.

I'll start with my usual ones.......

Four people, dead or alive, to invite to dinner and why?

Best place/country you have visited/been on holidays to?

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Thanks for having me, hopefully I'll give you some good answers!
    -Favourite book/author?
    It its terrible but I really don't read as many books as I should anymore... I spent most of my childhood and teen years with my nose in a book, so when I think of favourite authors I automatically think of authors I read when I was younger like JK Rowling and Philip Pullman (I reread the Harry Potter books every few years though - and the Cormoran Strike books are actually pretty good too - and I'm looking forward to watching the new adaption of His Dark Materials when I'm in Ireland later this month). I also love Marian Keyes books. At the moment I'm reading The Silence of the Girls by Pat Barker which is a retelling of the events of the Iliad from a different perspective, which is pretty grim but I'm enjoying it.
    -Real tree or fake tree?
    I absolutely love real trees, we always had them when I was a child. I would sometimes go down and sit by the tree in the mornings before getting ready for school, there was something so relaxing about the lights and the proper Christmas tree smell! However it just isn't practical for us to get a real tree since we'll be away for two weeks and it would die. Maybe we'll get a real one in the future if we spend Christmas in Canada, but I've never spent Christmas outside of Ireland and I don't intend to anytime soon!

I kind of wish our house had a Christmas tree in the front garden like some of the other houses around here do, but we have a cherry tree. The people across the road have one though and they have put lights in it which I approve of.
    For most of them she sniffed them when they first appeared and now ignores them. She ignores the downstairs (fibre optic) tree completely, but likes to curl up under the upstairs (artificial) tree. She has ripped a few of the fake pine needles off the lowest branches, but thankfully isn't eating them - we have sprinkled black pepper underneath it to try keeping her away from it and it seems to be working so far, she really hates black pepper but it isn't toxic to cats. Mr Scarinae also set up a sort of woodland scene on a coffee table with deer, Christmas trees, pine cones etc and she has taken to batting the pine cones around and knocking over the trees, I think we'll put those away when we travel to Ireland as god knows where the pine cones will end up while we're gone!
    I'll whatsapp you!

Sorry for my staggered responses to these, I'm still in the middle of my workday here so I'm just adding to the answers here and there.
    Loughc wrote: »
    First single you ever bought?
    I'm not sure, I had Gangsta's Paradise on tape but I don't remember if I actually bought it! I think the first album I ever bought was Spice by the Spice Girls.
    Favourite song at the moment?
    I mean it can't be anything other than a Christmas song, especially in December! Right now I'm going through a classic carols phase, you can't beat something like Silent Night (I also appreciated hearing Oíche Chiúin on Christmas FM the other day)
    Favourite movie ever?
    I think the one film I will never ever get tired of watching is Dirty Dancing, we had it on video when I was a child and I couldn't even try to count how many times I've watched it!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,520 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Scarinae wrote: »
    I think the one film I will never ever get tired of watching is Dirty Dancing, we had it on video when I was a child and I couldn't even try to count how many times I've watched it!
    Meet your twin! :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

Favourite thing to drink at Christmas?

TRS30 wrote: »
    Four people, dead or alive, to invite to dinner and why?
    I would invite the four members of Abba - it would be awkward at first but I'd give them a few drinks and let them argue it all out before reconciling, then take out some guitars and have a drunken singalong of all their greatest hits.
    TRS30 wrote: »
    Best place/country you have visited/been on holidays to?
    Greece is probably my favourite country to visit, I've been to various places on the mainland as well as to several islands. It has everything - great weather, lovely people, fantastic scenery, amazing food, interesting history and it's fairly inexpensive. If I won a bunch of money I would quit my job and go travelling around the Greek islands.

Outside of Europe my favourite place I've visited is probably Botswana, it is a stunningly beautiful country and the safari parks are well run with plenty of interesting animals. It isn't cheap but it also doesn't feel overrun with tourists the way some other places I've been to in Africa are, I would go back there in a heartbeat if I got the chance to.

Favourite thing to drink at Christmas?
    You can't beat hot chocolate with Baileys in it! Baileys is great, it is probably my only exception to not liking alcohol in desserts. I'm also fond of mulled cider, and we always have buck's fizz on Christmas morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

Hi Scarinae !
    Here my questions:

-Favourite main course you order when eating out ?
    -Favourite World cousine ?
    -Favourite spot for a week-end in Ireland ?

Thanks !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,150 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

What's your earliest Christmas memory?

• Advertisement

otnomart wrote: »
    -Favourite main course you order when eating out ?
    If I see pulled pork on the menu I usually get it, I absolutely love it!
    -Favourite World cousine ?
    My favourites would be Mexican, Thai or Greek food.
    -Favourite spot for a week-end in Ireland ?
    I haven't actually spent much time weekending in Ireland - when I'm in the country I usually stay with family (I moved to London in 2009 after I finished college, and I moved to Canada earlier this year). However I love the west - we used to go to Clare when I was a child and I also had a great uncle in Salthill. I would love to go back to the Aran Islands for a visit.

What's your earliest Christmas memory?
    I'm not sure which is my earliest, because the childhood Christmas memories tend to run into each other and I'm not sure which memory is from which year. My mother asked me recently if I remembered the Christmas tree being in the hall and our cat climbing up inside it when I was four, I have a vague memory of the tree being there but somehow had forgotten the cat part.

When I think of my childhood Christmas it isn't so much the presents that I remember, but the drive to my grandparents' house on Christmas morning. I remember my cousin as a baby trying to crawl in their living room. We also used to go to the hospital where my mum worked and go around the wards singing Christmas carols for the patients, but I think must have been a few days before Christmas day.

Advertisement