Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas in New York

• 30-11-2019 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,208 ✭✭✭

Heading to New York for a little pre-Christmas trip soon. Absolutely love Christmas and reckon New York is one of the most festive places to visit.

What kind of Christmassy experiences should I put on the to-do list?

Any and all recommendations welcome :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 15,865 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Thermal underwear, a lot of layers and a big wallet full of money :P NY is expensive and COLD in December. But I suppose do the usual things like skating at Rockefeller, Macys and so on.

Best thing is to google the NY Christmas experience or something like that.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/christmas

Enjoy it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Horse carriage in the Park with one of the Irish guys...;)

Chopper ride around Manhattan (hopefully it doesn’t crash)

Empire State visit.

Skate in Rockefeller

Macy’s (despite the poor offerings lately)

It is a great city, but you have to find your own New York... there are thousands of things to do. As the poster above said.... WARM CLOTHES!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Thermal underwear, a lot of layers and a big wallet full of money :P NY is expensive and COLD in December. But I suppose do the usual things like skating at Rockefeller, Macys and so on.

Best thing is to google the NY Christmas experience or something like that.

https://www.timeout.com/newyork/christmas

Enjoy it all.

The ice skating in Central Park was my highlight when we were there a good few years ago.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 401 ✭✭Eleysian

Watch the Christmas Show at Radio City. I took my two aunts and three cousins to see it. They all agreed it got them right into the Christmas spirit. There are several shows a day.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭matchthis

My then girlfriend, now Wife brought me over for my 21st. I love movies, so this place was amazing. We started one day early going to Statue of Liberty, then walked from battery park straight up to Central Park. Stopping at any shop that we recognised. As we went through Manhattan, it got dark. We went ice skating in Rockefeller centre, then onto Central Park for horse drawn carriage and more ice skating. Was the best end as it was Home alone 2 with the Plaza.
    Would have likened to get a show in on broadway, but times didn’t suit. Was the Lion king, which was meant to be amazing

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,029 ✭✭✭SusieBlue

Make sure you take a trip to Ellen's Stardust Diner! Its just off Times Square, and all the staff are Broadway performers & singers who sing while they serve. The food is about average but you're paying for the experience - they're truly amazing! Definitely a must do while in NYC.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭Sunny Dayz

Even just wander about as it gets dark. The amount of Christmas lights, trees, displays are unreal around every corner and all over the buildings and squares. Some of the stores do a great window display, I think Macys and Bergdorf Goodmans.

Ice skating I would recommend, it's not cheap but there are a few places to skate, not just Rockerfeller.

Bring warm clothes, layers, hat/scarf/gloves, warm and comfy footwear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 128 ✭✭RuckingSwimmer

Definitely do a Holiday Lights tour - I did one years ago and loved it. The one I did brought us to one of the boroughs off Manhattan to look back across at the lights

I went ice skating in Bryant Park which has free skate rental if you buy a New York Pass

Other non-Christmassy things to do...any time I've been to New York I've done the Rockefeller Centre "Top of the Rock Observation Deck" rather than the Empire State. it's not as high but there are two things you can see from it that you can't see from the Empire State building - 1) Central Park (as Rockefeller blocks the view of the park) and 2) the Empire State building :D

Top of the Rock is also free with the New York Pass, along with other things - and buy one today you get 40% off and could win a helicopter tour (which I've also done and was amazing!)

A great way to see the Statue of Liberty (without going to Ellis Island) is to take the free Staten Island Ferry - this is usually what a lot of the NYC tours take you on as part of the tour

As everyone else has said - it will be very cold!

Advertisement