Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wrong power rating on Registration Certificate

• 29-11-2019 7:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭

Friend of mine bought a Suzuki GSX650F today and on the reg cert the power is stated as 25Kw. The actual Kw for this bike is 63 according to the internet. This will probably cause much confusion if he uses this bike for his test as its below the Kw required for A licence. Anyone shed any light on this situation? Is it possible to get it changed? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,749 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

myclist wrote: »
    Friend of mine bought a Suzuki GSX650F today and on the reg cert the power is stated as 25Kw. The actual Kw for this bike is 63 according to the internet. This will probably cause much confusion if he uses this bike for his test as its below the Kw required for A licence. Anyone shed any light on this situation? Is it possible to get it changed? Thanks.

are you sure it's not restricted?

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 12,079 ✭✭✭✭blade1

galwaytt wrote: »
    are you sure it's not restricted?

Surely that wouldn't be on the reg cert though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

blade1 wrote: »
    Surely that wouldn't be on the reg cert though.

If the restriction cert, or a copy of it was sent to Shannon with the log book it would be.

• Registered Users Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Mjolnir

Bikes can be ordered restricted from factory, but that would be over 50%, so most likely a clerical error.

If the restriction cert, or a copy of it was sent to Shannon with the log book it would be.

Ah I see.
    As he only bought the bike today the op would suggest the change of ownership form hasn't gone through yet and when it does it should be ok.
    As long as the restriction cert wasn't sent.

• Advertisement

Ah I see.
    As he only bought the bike today the op would suggest the change of ownership form hasn't gone through yet and when it does it should be ok.
    As long as the restriction cert wasn't sent.

Power rating that's already on the cert will stay on it until the owner goes through the process to have it changed.
    Only info they change is name, address and no. Of owners.

Mjolnir wrote: »
    Power rating that's already on the cert will stay on it until the owner goes through the process to have it changed.
    Only info they change is name, address and no. Of owners.

I bought a bike with a restriction cert but there is no mention of it on the reg cert.

Any idea what the code on the cert is for it?

I bought a bike with a restriction cert but there is no mention of it on the reg cert.

Any idea what the code on the cert is for it?

If it's not factory restricted normally they won't alter the log book because most buy the kit never fit it/remove it and just use the restriction cert, anyway power rating means sfa, mine is 55,555kw on my cbr600 only matters if you're showing a guard that your bike is restricted in accordance with your licence, doing your full test on it, or proving to your insurance.
    Theres no code for a restricter being fitted that I'm aware of because you've just tampered with its ability to avail of its power it's still got it's full kw/hp just can't use it.
    Put simply let's say it's a 60kw bike, it's still a 60kw bike but now it can only use 30kw because of a map or restriction on air and fuel that it can put in the engine.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Thanks for all the feedback. Im thinking clerical error too but how to get it changed? Gonna be difficult to get the test done on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭Cork Trucker

myclist wrote: »
    Thanks for all the feedback. Im thinking clerical error too but how to get it changed? Gonna be difficult to get the test done on it.

Get your local motorcycle shop to issue a letter stating the power output, sent the letter along with the book to Shannon and job done. I’ve done it myself in the past

• Advertisement

Get your local motorcycle shop to issue a letter stating the power output, sent the letter along with the book to Shannon and job done. I’ve done it myself in the past

100% hit the nail on the head any authorised dealer can print up a power output rating and ya can send it off, although you don't have to just keep the output ya get from a dealer on their headed paper and signed and bring it with you they'll accept that.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Mjolnir wrote: »
    100% hit the nail on the head any authorised dealer can print up a power output rating and ya can send it off, although you don't have to just keep the output ya get from a dealer on their headed paper and signed and bring it with you they'll accept that.
    So it seems that the simplest solution is get a signed statement from the dealer which will be acceptable for the test,leave the reg cert alone,as this would make the bike more saleable after to someone who needs an A2 class bike.

Advertisement