Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,510 ✭✭✭OwlsZat

canonball5 wrote: »
    Speaking of small cap bio companies, PAVMED is another I would look at. I know they have been mentioned in here before but they had a positive earnings report yesterday and expect FDA approval early next year on their Carpx device.

Have you researched them? What's their USP?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Parom

My tips.
    I have bought some shares of CARA (bio pharma) for some swing trade and long term hold. If the drug trials a successful, there's talk about stock reaching 100 dollar a share, current price is 24 USD. Result coming in Jan.
    Another stock (long term play for me) that also pay a dividend is GEO, 14 USD a share. Currently beaten down by Warren's statements in US, however business is solid and growing. Current price divi yield is 13.7% and i expect capital appreciation as well in long term.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

Bob Harris wrote: »
    We're a year out from elections and a stock market crash wouldn't be good for Donald. Anyone's guess if he can keep it going till then. A China deal would be a help.

It might be interesting to look at the major US indices in the year before election year to see how the market has done historically.

There's a bit about it here...

https://www.thebalance.com/presidential-elections-and-stock-market-returns-2388526

My feeling is China will wait for Trump to go (who knows though) in the next election. China can wait, a year or ten of *pain* is nothing for them. Trump thinks he’s dealing with a crowd of backwater boys, he’s very wrong on that front.

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭XMG

FFVII wrote: »
    No, Impossible Meats is the other one. Turns out it's still privately owned for now.

They modified a plant.

Came across that there when I was trying to remember what it was.

Impossible Foods IPO next year? Sure why not? Everyone else is at it...

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-impossible-foods-fundraising-exclusiv/exclusive-impossible-foods-eyes-doubling-valuation-with-new-funding-idUSKBN1XZ2BW

• Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

XMG wrote: »

Unicorns aren't so rare after all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

$BLNK could be fun for you tesla lovers out there :)
    https://www.blinkcharging.com/
    bottoming pattern on the 3 day 20% bounce today lots of room to the upside.
    careful with this one fishing orders & stoploss essential :cool:

https://video.foxbusiness.com/v/6108855189001/#sp=show-clips

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

Bought some Etsy today, I think there's potential for some gains over the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Irishder wrote: »
    Saying it again looks like PTI will have good gains in the coming days/weeks

Looks like big news coming for its cycstic fibrosis drug. In clinical trials at the moment and seems to be doing well.

Def worth a punt in my opinion. i have a small holding bought in at 0.98

Great call Irish, up around 60% since you posted this last week, and you are up a couple of hundred % at this stage. Didn't have a punt myself but great to see someone striking it lucky.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭pearcider

Irishder wrote: »
    Looks like big news coming for its cycstic fibrosis drug. In clinical trials at the moment and seems to be doing well.

Def worth a punt in my opinion. i have a small holding bought in at 0.98

What a shout mate! Thank you very much.

Cute Hoor wrote: »
    Great call Irish, up around 60% since you posted this last week, and you are up a couple of hundred % at this stage. Didn't have a punt myself but great to see someone striking it lucky.

I got a few yesterday, sold 3/4 of them today and will keep the rest in hope of positive trial results and another big pop.
    This might retrace a bit tomorrow and if so would be tempted to get a few more.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 926 ✭✭✭Irishder

I got a few yesterday, sold 3/4 of them today and will keep the rest in hope of positive trial results and another big pop.

Only have 550 shares, very new to this but I am going to hold out for the long term here. Hopefully positive results will drive it on further

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

stuck some money in Hibernia REIT this morning , thing was up 4% by end of trading , been in a downtrend for a while but fears over a commercial property slowdown due to brexit are overdone in my view , share price not reflective of assets held

the market overall right now is frightening , not that i was ever that bearish but the relentless rise is startling , trump is an economic beast

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Jumped in at 2.60 yesterday, it's been an amazing week so hopefully it continues.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

One of recommendation on the sits I subscribe too are saying PayPal is under valued.

“ Back in July, digital payments giant PayPal Holdings (NASDAQ: PYPL) raised its earnings-per-share guidance for the year while slightly lowering its revenue guidance. The market paid more attention to the latter than the former and quickly sent the stock down; today it's still more than 12% off its summertime highs.

But we think that's a buying opportunity. PayPal is an SA Starter Stock — meaning we think it's a good investment for members of all experience levels — and its third-quarter report last month showed more healthy growth in key user metrics. Total active accounts rose 16% year over year to 295 million as of the end of September, while transactions per active account were up 9% year over year to 39.8. Total payment volume (TPV) for peer-to-peer payments app Venmo is up 64% year over year and now accounts for 15% of the company's total. Revenue, meanwhile, rose 18.9%.

We love the ways PayPal is making its platform more useful to more people. In mid-October, the company announced a Venmo credit card with Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF) that will be available in the second half of next year. PayPal was also the first foreign company to be granted a license to provide online payment services in China, with the potential to significantly expand its addressable market.

And last week, PayPal announced its $4 billion acquisition of online coupon and deals tracking platform Honey Science. Honey brings with it 17 million customers, mostly younger American women. The combined businesses will bring customers to the PayPal platform much earlier in the buying process, improving customer relationships and providing the opportunity for personalization and more engagement with the platform. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 1,246 ✭✭✭Scottie99

One of recommendation on the site I subscribe too is saying PayPal is an opportunity..

“ Back in July, digital payments giant PayPal Holdings (NASDAQ: PYPL) raised its earnings-per-share guidance for the year while slightly lowering its revenue guidance. The market paid more attention to the latter than the former and quickly sent the stock down; today it's still more than 12% off its summertime highs.

But we think that's a buying opportunity. PayPal is an SA Starter Stock — meaning we think it's a good investment for members of all experience levels — and its third-quarter report last month showed more healthy growth in key user metrics. Total active accounts rose 16% year over year to 295 million as of the end of September, while transactions per active account were up 9% year over year to 39.8. Total payment volume (TPV) for peer-to-peer payments app Venmo is up 64% year over year and now accounts for 15% of the company's total. Revenue, meanwhile, rose 18.9%.

We love the ways PayPal is making its platform more useful to more people. In mid-October, the company announced a Venmo credit card with Synchrony Financial (NYSE: SYF) that will be available in the second half of next year. PayPal was also the first foreign company to be granted a license to provide online payment services in China, with the potential to significantly expand its addressable market.

And last week, PayPal announced its $4 billion acquisition of online coupon and deals tracking platform Honey Science. Honey brings with it 17 million customers, mostly younger American women. The combined businesses will bring customers to the PayPal platform much earlier in the buying process, improving customer relationships and providing the opportunity for personalization and more engagement with the platform. ”

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭Captainsatnav

Scottie99 wrote: »
    One of recommendation on the site I subscribe too is saying PayPal is an opportunity..

Interesting research...may take a punt.

It doesn't seem like everyday because in fact it is everyday we read headlines about the trade deal. Markets up? optimism about the trade deal. Markets down? Nobend Trump has shat out some barely decipherable utterance about not being close to a deal.
    Surely the most annoying term in the English language surpassing even Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,788 ✭✭✭Cute Hoor

Might be worth keeping an eye on Sorrento Therapeutics (SRNE), sp doubled on Monday after announcing that it had rejected an offer from two biopharma companies to acquire all outstanding stock at $3-$5 per share in cash. It has retraced a bit since then.

pearcider wrote: »
    What a shout mate! Thank you very much.

Still going :) you looking at a Porsche or Ferrari

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Scottie99 wrote: »

There is a very good reason why people get concerned why earnings start to outstrip revenue....

Combine that with growth through acquisition and it's probably a hold rather than a buy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Jim2007 wrote: »
    There is a very good reason why people get concerned why earnings start to outstrip revenue....

Why is this a bad thing?

A company improves it's margins and therefore earns more per dollar of sales is a good thing no?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,013 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Why is this a bad thing?

A company improves it's margins and therefore earns more per dollar of sales is a good thing no?

It a good think if it follows revenue, but it may not be a good thing such a good idea when revenue starts to decline... companies often follow a revenue warning with a 'but we're doing good on income' to cuisine the blow. Very often though it turns out to be just accounting entries that wash out a year or two later.... since we won't get to see how it as achieved in the accounting until later, it makes it a hold rather than a buy. It certainly would not be a reason to sell, but by the same token, not a reason to load up on it either.

Then there is the acquisition of Honey Science Corporation for cash. Buying growth does not always go well, especially for a company that has no track record in doing so. Only time will tell if management has the skills to make it happen. It will also have a big impact on the accounting, make comparisons etc more difficult for the average investor.

All this suggests the nature of the business is changing and relying just on past glories may not be the best approach. You'd need to do a lot more research before make a decision.

It is the nature of the business that you will always pass up good opportunities no matter what you do, but is more important to reduce bad decisions in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 23 SauNewb

Not exactly in line with the thread topic...

Does anyone have a good free app with no ads that provides stock market data (real time price and a chart)?

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭timetogo1

SauNewb wrote: »

Does anyone have a good free app with no ads that provides stock market data (real time price and a chart)?

I use Webull. Simple enough to use and no (or very little) ads.
    I like Seeking Alpha too for the articles about the stocks in your portfolio. The ads are unobtrusive.

(Android user)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

timetogo1 wrote: »
    I use Webull. Simple enough to use and no (or very little) ads.
    I like Seeking Alpha too for the articles about the stocks in your portfolio. The ads are unobtrusive.

(Android user)

Seeking Alpha is one o the worst possible places to get your info! Be careful. 90% are paid articles. 10% are written by nobodies.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,625 ✭✭✭Millionaire only not

Any views on Tullow shares ?
    Are they hitting for junk status?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

SauNewb wrote: »

Atom Finance

• Registered Users Posts: 1,059 ✭✭✭bcklschaps

Any views on Tullow shares ?
    Are they hitting for junk status?

Up 14% today. Soo the 40% or whatever drop yesterday was clearly overdone.

BNGO bought a small position in this today, strong rumours of a buy out in the near future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

china mobile civil unrest in hong kong must be nearly over :o
    nice price at the moment

Advertisement