Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Share Picks 2019

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,298 ✭✭✭RedRochey

Bought some in August after their last earnings report missed estimates, think Disney + will be huge

• Registered Users Posts: 20,044 ✭✭✭✭neris

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? :confused:

Theres a good video on youtube from the WSJ (I think) on the repo markets in the US & the Feds involvement and the effect its having on the markets.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

put 5 k in glanbia last week , up 10% , will sell below 12 , think we touch lows once more to confirm bottom , also need at least another half decent quarter in order to return to pre ( disastrous ) august report level

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

crushproof wrote: »
    I know Disney has been mentioned here before has anyone bought in? I've kept on meaning to pull the trigger but it's jumped up to $140 overnight after more positive results.

Could be a major player in the streaming world soon

disney hasnt moved much this past three years yet the company is devouring everything and doing what microsoft did four or five years ago , reinventing itself in other areas

Can someone tell me what I'm missing? :confused:

ldIwzeu.png

Research from Bank of America shows the below fund flows year-to-date:

Cash + $549 billion
    Credit/Fixed Income + $338 billion
    Treasuries + $49 billion
    Equity Redemptions: - $199 billion

Kind of shows that people aren't being greedy by getting out of equity funds

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,462 ✭✭✭Bob Harris

"It was actually, look, nobody was even hurt, a K-9 as they call, I call it a dog, a beautiful dog. A talented dog was injured and brought back. But we had no soldier injured and they did a lot of shooting and they did a lot of blasting. Even not going through the front door. You’d think, you go through the door. If you’re a normal person, you say, “Knock, knock, may I come in?” The fact is that they blasted their way into the house and a very heavy wall and it took them literally seconds. By the time those things went off, they had a beautiful big hole and they ran in and they got everybody by surprise. Unbelievably brilliant as fighters."

That folks if you bothered to read it is an excerpt of Donald Trump's press conference about the killing of ISIS leader Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi a few days back.

How the fear index isn't off the chart with this loon at the helm I do not know.

• Registered Users Posts: 243 ✭✭hottipper

Not seeing many trades to be had this week anyone buying?
    was thinking about meituan dianping but want an entry of at least 10.25 looks like its topping out now so may get a retrace soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Parom

Hi all, new to the thread. Great thread, found lot of useful info as i started investing only in April. Anyone here a DGI/long term hold investor? Tax regime in Ireland certainly pushes you to focus on cap gains rather then divi income. What broker do you use for those short team trades/swing trades?

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

crushproof wrote: »
    I know Disney has been mentioned here before has anyone bought in? I've kept on meaning to pull the trigger but it's jumped up to $140 overnight after more positive results.

Could be a major player in the streaming world soon

I pulled the trigger at $131.04 on the 25th last month so very happy with my timing so far.

any thoughts on twitter i jumped in friday think there a 10% move in it. There is more room to the downside longer term and might even wick to 26 in the short term.
    Might be a good one in a few weeks something to add to the watchlist.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭whatever76

Some rally going on with MSFT at the moment - pre market of 150 today !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭Taylor365

whatever76 wrote: »
    Some rally going on with MSFT at the moment - pre market of 150 today !!
    To the moon
    MSFT149.74-0.23-0.15%

Any suggestions as to best way to short the S&P from here ? Not interested in TVIX etc.

If trump gets impeached it could be a good short opportunity for the S&P :pac::pac::pac:

The cannabis sector is getting hammered after a poor earnings quarter and a few with cashflow problems.
    The only one that posted a decent earnings was Aphria for the second quarter running. They have since been dragged
    down by the rest and with 600m cash and a mkt cap of 1b they are attractively priced. They have diverse income streams
    both domestically and internationally has saved them from the underwhelming retail market in Canada. Don't think there can
    be much more downside. Worth a look.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,575 ✭✭✭Treppen

Bob Harris wrote: »
    The cannabis sector is getting hammered after a poor earnings quarter and a few with cashflow problems.
    The only one that posted a decent earnings was Aphria for the second quarter running. They have since been dragged
    down by the rest and with 600m cash and a mkt cap of 1b they are attractively priced. They have diverse income streams
    both domestically and internationally has saved them from the underwhelming retail market in Canada. Don't think there can
    be much more downside. Worth a look.

It seems that where canopy goes the rest follow..

Looking at the Cronos, Canopy, Aurora and Aphria charts they all experienced strong SP revovery after lows in Nov/Dec the last two years. Not saying that history will repeat itself as the market conditions are different but after the dust settles or generally a poor ER I think there is scope for some recovery.

There is supposed be a vote this week to end federal marijuana prohibition. If passed it may act as a turning point for the MJ sector to recover some of the losses.

If anyone is looking at the MJ companies in the previous post be especially wary of Aurora (ACB).
    More info https://seekingalpha.com/article/4307682-aurora-cannabis-death-spiral-financing-disguise-longs-beware

I don't understand every detail but enough to know that it's not good. They are running out of money and fast
    and major dilution looks imminent. Down another 4% today.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,069 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Tripadvisor down to ~$28.40, a 7 year low after weak earnings. May be worth a punt, there's plenty of scope there for a rebound - Was $60+ this time last year.

Looking at the Cronos, Canopy, Aurora and Aphria charts they all experienced strong SP revovery after lows in Nov/Dec the last two years. Not saying that history will repeat itself as the market conditions are different but after the dust settles or generally a poor ER I think there is scope for some recovery.

There is supposed be a vote this week to end federal marijuana prohibition. If passed it may act as a turning point for the MJ sector to recover some of the losses.

nice bounce off aphira +10% already thanks bob.
    I got stopped out of my twitter trade broke even stop too tight anyways this gonna make up for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭heffo500

retalivity wrote: »
    Tripadvisor down to ~$28.40, a 7 year low after weak earnings. May be worth a punt, there's plenty of scope there for a rebound - Was $60+ this time last year.

I'd stay away from TripAdvisor, what does TripAdvisor offer really that Google doesn't?

• Advertisement

Home Depot (HD) and Kohl’s (KSS) took a 20% dip also this getting exciting.

eyes on the s&p we entering flash crash territory?

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

hottipper wrote: »
    Home Depot (HD) and Kohl’s (KSS) took a 20% dip also this getting exciting.

eyes on the s&p we entering flash crash territory?

I'm up 13% On my S&P ETF hard to know whether to sell and wait for the crash (That I think is coming) or just whether the storm.

Kamu wrote: »
    I'm up 13% On my S&P ETF hard to know whether to sell and wait for the crash (That I think is coming) or just whether the storm.

How long are you willing to wait?

Not saying there won't be a dip but trying to time the market is never a good idea

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators Posts: 10,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Jim2007

Kamu wrote: »

Why do you expect they'll ring a bell when it reaches the top or the bottom??? TA always looses, if it did not asset managers would not need clients and the tools vendors would not need to get rich selling tools and data. A well allocate and diversified portfolio will do very nicely over 20 years or so.

• Registered Users Posts: 503 ✭✭✭Kamu

How long are you willing to wait?

Not saying there won't be a dip but trying to time the market is never a good idea

That's my main concern, I would never think I could time the market, no one can.

But seeing these historic highs and all the talk surrounding the presidential election influencing the market makes you wonder!

Realistically, I'm willing to hold my position for life, as that is my main motivation for buying ETFs.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

Saying it again looks like PTI will have good gains in the coming days/weeks

Irishder wrote: »
    Saying it again looks like PTI will have good gains in the coming days/weeks

A small cap biotech, tell us more!

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭Irishder

A small cap biotech, tell us more!

Looks like big news coming for its cycstic fibrosis drug. In clinical trials at the moment and seems to be doing well.

Def worth a punt in my opinion. i have a small holding bought in at 0.98

Irishder wrote: »
    Looks like big news coming for its cycstic fibrosis drug. In clinical trials at the moment and seems to be doing well.

Def worth a punt in my opinion. i have a small holding bought in at 0.98

"Recent Highlights and Upcoming Milestones

Earlier this week, PTI announced the completion of enrollment in the Company's 28-day, Phase 2 study evaluating its proprietary doublet (PTI-808 and PTI-801) and triplet (PTI-808, PTI-801 and PTI-428) CFTR modulator combinations, at doses selected based on the totality of dose range finding data from approximately 250 CF subjects studied thus far. The study design targeted up to 30 F508del homozygous and up to 30 F508del heterozygous subjects. Study endpoints include safety, changes in sweat chloride concentration and changes in percent predicted FEV1 (ppFEV1). Due to rapid enrollment from centers in the United States, Canada, Western Europe, and New Zealand, data from the study are now expected in the fourth quarter of 2019 instead of the first quarter of 2020"

This looks to be the potential short term catalyst.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭canonball5

Speaking of small cap bio companies, PAVMED is another I would look at. I know they have been mentioned in here before but they had a positive earnings report yesterday and expect FDA approval early next year on their Carpx device.

Advertisement