Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Virgin Media: 5 per month for 5 months, 25 thereafter, unlimited calls texts and data

• 27-11-2019 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,528 ✭✭✭

12 month contract.

Anyone take this up? Seems decent

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

5months x€5 = €25
    7months x€25=€175

That’s €200 for 12months with Virgin.

GoMo is 12X€10 = €120 for the year, no contract.

If you have decent Eir coverage in your area, GoMo is a no brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,891 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Fr_Dougal wrote: »
    5months x€5 = €25
    7months x€25=€175

That’s €200 for 12months with Virgin.

GoMo is 12X€10 = €120 for the year, no contract.

If you have decent Eir coverage in your area, GoMo is a no brainer.

As its sim only deal, you could do the 5 months with Virgin and change over. Works out then €95 for the 12 months.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I was with Virgin Media for mobile before - i wouldn't go back to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

GBX wrote: »
    As its sim only deal, you could do the 5 months with Virgin and change over. Works out then €95 for the 12 months.

Think it’s a 12 month contract with VM, according to the OP.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,651 ✭✭✭✭beauf

I had it, on a 30 day contract. I had no problems. The plan I was on you could cancel every 30 days obviously. I was only using it for data. It was cheaper than adding data to my old sim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

If you check the link to the promotion you see it's a "30 day contract. Cancel anytime" deal not a 12 month contract.

https://www.virginmedia.ie/mobile/sim-only/?intcmp=Hp-sim-RF19

This offer existed in the past for VM customer, all they have done is open it now for Everyone.

Now I strongly suggest before you sign up to check the VM boards section for the restrictions than VM has when it comes to network and more importantly on receiving some automated text messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 273 ✭✭noble00

I got this deal about two years ago , I never had a problem with it , the only reason I left was to go with GoMo because it’s cheaper

• Registered Users Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭Murt10

I was in both the UK and Spain earlier this year and had changed to Virgin. I just couldn't get data, despite hours spent on the phone. Voice was ok but for Google Maps you need data to calculate youy route

Avoid Virgin at all costs. I wouldn't care if they were giving it away at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Dr_Colossus

I have one heavy usage phone with Virgin and no complaints, good itemised bill on all calls/texts/data used. I rang them a couple of weeks ago after they announced another run of the 5 for 5 to give my 30 days notice as was moving to GoMo instead of paying them 25/m. They offered the 5 for 5 again so with them another while at least.
    No issues when in France during the summer receiving data, well except going over the then 9GB I think it was roaming allowance and being billed for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭tandcapply

Nothing new there, its not a new bargain.

• Advertisement

tandcapply wrote: »

5 euro a month is cheaper than GoSlo. How is that not a bargain. At least for a few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,141 ✭✭✭Yggr of Asgard

tandcapply wrote: »

Until the start of the sale this offer was restricted to Virgin Media customers, they now have lifted that and it is open it now for Everyone.

So despite what you think, this is a bargain for those who are not VM customer and wish to accept the drawbacks.

It's the cheapest "unlimited" 30 day contact out there, so how is this not a bargain?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Murt10 wrote: »
    I was in both the UK and Spain earlier this year and had changed to Virgin. I just couldn't get data, despite hours spent on the phone. Voice was ok but for Google Maps you need data to calculate youy route

Avoid Virgin at all costs. I wouldn't care if they were giving it away at this stage.

Yep, I couldn't get data on my personal number in Europe or the US last year, and so switched to Vodafone, and have since switched to GoMo.

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭sector_000

My wife has this and roaming in Berlin & in UK was fine on her Huawei P20 lite. On a different thread I commented that she used to be on 48months but just couldn't get roaming to work in France - hence we switched her to Virgin.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Haha, clearly Virgin Media are desperate now. They most be losing customers hand over fist to GoMo. €25 is too much for a virtual network IMO and locking that price to just Virgin customers until now, come on :rolleyes:

Fair enough if you want to get the 5 months for €5, but I don't see why you'd want to stay with them beyond that.

bk wrote: »
    Haha, clearly Virgin Media are desperate now. They most be losing customers hand over fist to GoMo. €25 is too much for a virtual network IMO and locking that price to just Virgin customers until now, come on :rolleyes:

Fair enough if you want to get the 5 months for €5, but I don't see why you'd want to stay with them beyond that.

Until GoMo it was compative for a 30 day plan.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

beauf wrote: »
    Until GoMo it was compative for a 30 day plan.

And now it isn't.

I don't think it was particularly competitive either before now. Vodafone X plans were better for light data users IMO and Three All you could eat data for big data users (VM is limited to 80GB). And there is Tesco Mobiles, far better value for money.

For a new startup in the mobile arena it was all a bit mediocre IMO.

What Eir/Gomo are doing now is what VM should have done to gain real market share. It is like a repeat of ID mobile all over again. If you want to come into a mature market and gain significant marketshare, you really need to be disruptive. These companies seem to take far too much of a conservative approach to really get anywhere.

Three all you eat last 28 days and personally I could never keep the €20 credit its just evaoporate a day or two after the 28 days. I got tired of that BS.

That would be on 3 (13x20=260) vs VM (5x5 + 7x25=200) even at VM (12x25 its 300). Worth the extra 40 IMO.

Yeah you could do a €10 plan on 48 etc. 10x120=120. But for 80 more unlimted data and everything for €80 more, and not having to remember top-ups. totally worth it for me.

That said I've switched to GoMo now :)

Yeah you could do a €10 plan on 48 etc. 10x120=120. But for 80 more unlimted data and everything for €80 more, and not having to remember top-ups. totally worth it for me.

Except it isn't unlimited, 80GB fair use policy with VM.

I just checked, VM's market share is about 2% of the market, hardly setting the market on fire.

Anyway Gomo is here now and it looks like 48months/Three is about to respond with a similar plan. And of course Tesco and Lyca will likely eventually respond too. VM will need to do far better if they want to hold onto even that 2%.

Of course in the bigger scheme of things, it isn't that big of a deal for VM, they have lots of other markets. But I expect the uptake of their mobile plan isn't anything like they expected. The mobile market is far more competitive then the cable/bb market. Maybe they will just bundle their mobile for free with their BB like Eir do.

Nothing is unlimited. You hardly needed to explain that.

I don't care any of these companies business plans. I just refuse to pay their rip off prices.

I'll keep switching to the lowest hanging fruit.

• Advertisement

Nothing is unlimited. You hardly needed to explain that.

I don't care any of these companies business plans. I just refuse to pay their rip off prices.

I'll keep switching to the lowest hanging fruit.

Oh absolutely.

I'm just disappointed that the latest two entrances to the market, ID and VM have been so mediocre and changed almost nothing. It is rather ironic that it is Eir, a major network, that is now really disrupting the market *

I've long argued that the product that Gomo is selling is what the market wanted and what ID/VM should have first offered. Didn't even need to be €10, the same plan but €15 would have been fine for them.

* Though if you look at the Comreg market share numbers, you can see why Eir are doing this. Their market share has been shrinking almost every quarter, down to just 16% odd now. Not good when you need to maintain an expensive network. Gomo looks like a move to recapture market share from Three and Vodafone.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,789 ✭✭✭rizzee

Sorry to revive an old thread but this is back again.

They've resolved the 2FA issues too apparantely. I'm going to give it a shot.

Advertisement