Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Plans for the turkey, ham or something else.

Options
  • 27-11-2019 6:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭

We generally get a large 6kg - 7kg smoked ham.

We're really unsure about the turkey this year. We might get two crowns and have one cold or one hot.
    We went for the free range bronze turkey last year and it was nothing special.
    We might try a Supervalu turkey this year using turkey tokens.(I don't think it's a great offer tough). However I think you pre order it and they just hand you one and you might get stuck with something you don't like the look of.

Plans for the turkey, ham or something else.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

I'm cooking Christmas dinner 4 years this year I have always bought a free range turkey from my local butcher for about 60 euro, my mam is buying off him over 25 years it is always really nice

This year we are getting a bigger turkey as we have more for dinner than usual, I have never bought a ham from him going to try his ham too this year

We plan to do some beef too for Christmas I will get that in Supervalu their beef is really good

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I truly, honestly think that the dryness or tastiness of a turkey has more to do with the cooking, than where it comes from.
    One year we had a conscientious objector who would only agree to an organically grown bird, hand-fed, humanely slaughtered, etc. These are not common and they are not cheap!
    But we did it and sure - it was nice enough.
    I've tried free-range, also ordered from craft butcher, bought the dear and the very ordinary. One year I just picked up a frozen one, a big hulking lump of ice, at a reduced price in a freezer at Dunnes on the 23rd.
    Guess what? It was nice enough!

I reckon that with enough gravy and stuffing, (and plenty of sherry beforehand) almost any turkey will pass muster, if you take any sort of reasonable care in the roasting.
    Speaking as a veteran that loves a Christmas dinner!

• Registered Users Posts: 30,184 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

I think we just had notions about the broken turkey. We felt it wasn't worth the extra money.

I know some like it here but we weren't into the bonnee and rolled Turkey at all.(Also moch for the cats either).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

Funny I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. We agreed it was more about the cooking than the turkey itself. Both of us are pretty good cooks. One year I tried the expensive order from the butcher path but have to say I found it no nicer than the one I usually buy in dunnes or Tesco. The nicest little Turkey I ever had was a frozen basted one from Aldi, last year or the year before. So I'll stick to my supermarket Turkey and smoked ham fillet (large ones, I either cook for 11 or 19). And my friend already has her frozen one bought.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,315 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

If you want moist turkey breast, this is what you have to do. Works with the cheapest frozen turkey for €10 from Aldi or your finest free range, organic €100 bird, guaranteed. :D

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/recipes/2013/1209/744077-buttermilk-brined-roast-crown-of-turkey/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,803 ✭✭✭bmc58

tscul32 wrote: »
    Funny I was talking to a friend about this yesterday. We agreed it was more about the cooking than the turkey itself. Both of us are pretty good cooks. One year I tried the expensive order from the butcher path but have to say I found it no nicer than the one I usually buy in dunnes or Tesco. The nicest little Turkey I ever had was a frozen basted one from Aldi, last year or the year before. So I'll stick to my supermarket Turkey and smoked ham fillet (large ones, I either cook for 11 or 19). And my friend already has her frozen one bought.

A Dunnes smallish Turkey and half a boned ham is perfect for myself and my wife for three dinners around Christmas.After that I'm fed up of Turkey and Ham dinners.But can't quibble with Dunnes quality.But we always get the ones with the Guaranteed Irish Logo,just to be safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

Last year we went with a free range out of Aldi, and have been through most options at this stage. I think the big difference was that it was the first time I had used a digital probe. I was shocked at the cooking time - I can't remember the size/time now but the turkey was at the required temperature about 1hr earlier than expected. Something like 2.5 hours versus an estimate of 3.5. My father said it was the nicest turkey he had ever eaten, and he has ate a lot of turkey.

We had also bought a free range bronze turkey at the same time but this was a little disappointing.

With this being thanksgiving week, I happened upon a couple of videos of fried turkey, which is supposed to be much better overall as a method for cooking it. The only real downside, allegedly, is that you have to use loads of oil which is both expensive and a waste of good oil. Apparently, though, it's less greasy, tastier and much much quicker to cook as well as freeing up the oven for all your other requirements.

I'd love to give it a go, seems like a pretty big expense for a "once a year" type job. There's always the danger factor too. I might give it a bash with a turkey crown instead, in a smaller pot. Might even pick one up cheap once black Friday is over.

Carb wrote: »
    Last year we went with a free range out of Aldi, and have been through most options at this stage. I think the big difference was that it was the first time I had used a digital probe. I was shocked at the cooking time - I can't remember the size/time now but the turkey was at the required temperature about 1hr earlier than expected. Something like 2.5 hours versus an estimate of 3.5. My father said it was the nicest turkey he had ever eaten, and he has ate a lot of turkey.

We had also bought a free range bronze turkey at the same time but this was a little disappointing.

What's "a digital probe"? Put me out of my wonder as I have many images in my head at this moment.

After trying every variety of bird and every method of cooking, I’ve come to the conclusion that any cheap frozen turkey is as good as the most expensive, corn fed, hand massaged one.
    I never bother with ham. Turkey hot Christmas Day and cold with bubble and squeak Stephens day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭Carb

bmc58 wrote: »
    What's "a digital probe"? Put me out of my wonder as I have many images in my head at this moment.

Sorry, should have been more specific. Digital meat thermometer.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Ham only household here. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,386 ✭✭✭NSAman

Thanksgiving here tomorrow. Turkey already thawing and ready to stuff the holes with grapes. Ham ready and just needs to be heated up for serving tomorrow. All that is left to do is cook the sides and veggies. Apple pie made and ready for adding ice cream... just have to clean the house and await the arrival of guests. One day to go and in work ... a man's work is never done!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,878 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm getting hungry just reading this

After trying every variety of bird and every method of cooking, I’ve come to the conclusion that any cheap frozen turkey is as good as the most expensive, corn fed, hand massaged one.
    I never bother with ham. Turkey hot Christmas Day and cold with bubble and squeak Stephens day.

Ah,no you must have ham to complete the Christmas dinner.Like the bubble and squeak idea.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclette

We get a crown of turkey and a boned rolled ham. Normally we feed 6 adults for two days. And this is perfect.

HOWEVER, I came across this today https://crafty.diply.com/102359/this-vodka-infused-turkey-will-complete-a-tipsy-thanksgiving-din?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=mnv&utm_term=tst&utm_content=mai000087&fbclid=IwAR3tLe6EfOLVlynbGjDIu_uKMKe0iPxKg7t_oXY8eP9YIpbyN8zaUAMYAVA (Vodka Turkey for anyone who doesn't want to click on the link)

Very tempting to give it a try :D

Even if doesn't taste nice, nobody will remember :p

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

We (folks) get a turkey crown, boned and rolled ham and tongue from a local butchers.

Some years we get a boned ham and others we do it ourselves!
    It mainly depends if we can get a 7kg boned.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Boned and rolled Turkey and a cured ham both to serve 12 persons from our local butcher for us again this year. Worked a treat with little or no waste when we hosted in 2017 so as far as we'rd concerned if it ain't broken dont fix it.
    Turkey curry on Stephens day too.... yum!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Given up on doing full turkeys a long time ago (well, its only a few goes ago due to the hosting rota; but its many many years ago as a result). Crown all the way. The grand ideas of using the rest just don't get followed through on. I don't do stuffing because as far as I know nobody else is going to eat it except me, but I should probably ask! And I just use commercial gravy, because a crown leaves little to nothing to do something "proper" with... and I'm lazy.

Ham will be relatively simple honey/mustard glaze and cloves (because my mother will kick up a fuss if it doesn't just taste of pig) but I may actually remember to do it the night before this time.

On the night before element - I only have a single cavity oven, four hobs and a grill microwave so getting everything synced up is a horror. Think nearly everything except the turkey could be done the night before but I've no way of getting them all back to heat at the same time!

Might need to look at getting a third shelf for the oven so absolutely piles of stuff can be slammed in while the turkey is standing.

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,056 ✭✭✭✭beertons

We're heading out the road to my mother's again, we were meant to be going to get mothers, but the 200 mile drive turned herself off. So I won't be cooking on the 25th. But I am having an uncle in on the Saturday before. Going with a boned and rolled turkey, brined in buttermilk for a day or so, then roasted. Ham joint boiled, then glazed with honey, mustard and orange rind.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Crown for ourselves, as neither of us like brown meat. The butcher bones and rolls the legs and we give them to an old lady near us who wouldn't have much and seems to love them. Ham and roast beef to go with the turkey. Did the ham in cola last year - delicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,225 ✭✭✭✭Autosport

No turkey eaten here but I’m a big fan of Spiced beef and can’t wait to cook and eat it :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Autosport wrote: »
    No turkey eaten here but I’m a big fan of Spiced beef and can’t wait to cook and eat it :)

The very best dish of an Irish Christmas!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

I was thinking of ordering a pre-cooked ham from Brady's
    https://www.bradyfamily.ie/shop/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-JPckUvpevM5lSyEWq6-NcQlp5Bsun2vCKNDn_3iOvYz5zodiEnd4EaAgwEEALw_wcB
    but they deliver the Friday before Christmas. Seems a while for the ham to be knocking about the house since the big day isn't until the Wednesday. :confused:

Like a few here, I think I will just go for a turkey crown this year. And add me to the 'underwhelmed by bronze turkey last year' club! :pac:

Posy wrote: »
    I was thinking of ordering a pre-cooked ham from Brady's
    https://www.bradyfamily.ie/shop/?gclid=Cj0KCQiA2vjuBRCqARIsAJL5a-JPckUvpevM5lSyEWq6-NcQlp5Bsun2vCKNDn_3iOvYz5zodiEnd4EaAgwEEALw_wcB
    but they deliver the Friday before Christmas. Seems a while for the ham to be knocking about the house since the big day isn't until the Wednesday. :confused:

Like a few here, I think I will just go for a turkey crown this year. And add me to the 'underwhelmed by bronze turkey last year' club! :pac:

You can order hams from this company!

http://www.horgans.com/onlineshop/horgans-hams

If you want Brady's keep a look out at Supervalu's. I'd recommend more regional Supervalu's than city ones.

Edit:
    Tesco have raw hams in stock now and they are dated late December.
    The cooked hams generally appear in the next week or so.
    They generally dated into January. They are vacuumed packed and your buying a large ham and this helps to keep it fresh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Or known around these parts as Happy Christmas FM day :)

Carb wrote: »
    Sorry, should have been more specific. Digital meat thermometer.

Ah,I know what is.Thanks, got those other images from your post cleansed from my mind.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

I share a link to a company that delivered cooked hams.
    This is what they look like in the shop.
    78203941_2440168889533214_2698080785851744256_n.jpg?_nc_cat=102&efg=eyJpIjoidCJ9&_nc_ohc=lfFDRytValsAQkIpbNAGjKqK_o3IAT9cWN8vPbivPB6L7-NJrVkqKcttg&_nc_ht=scontent.fdub5-1.fna&oh=2cf924d630ccc15db552822878da46ab&oe=5E85B406

Advertisement