Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Contactless and capped fares

• 27-11-2019 1:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭

So having spent a weekend in London tapping my revolut connected phone a myriad of times on every available form of pubic transport and then paying a capped fare at the end of the day, I realised just how limited the leap card system is.

So any chance we'll see such a holistic payment system in Dublin this side of 2030?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

lawred2 wrote: »
    So having spent a weekend in London tapping my revolut connected phone a myriad of times on every available form of pubic transport and then paying a capped fare at the end of the day, I realised just how limited the leap card system is.

So any chance we'll see such a holistic payment system in Dublin this side of 2030?

Yes, contactless is planned as part of busconnects, but the plan is a flat fare for 90 minutes of travel rather than zoned caps like london, whether there will be a daily cap as well on fares once the 90 minute cap is in place remains to be seen.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As riddlinrussell said, contactless is coming as part of BusConnects, but capped fares are already here. There's a daily cap of €10 (if you use more than one mode of transport), and a weekly cap of €40 (again, this is if you use more than one mode of transport). If you only use one mode of transport, the fares are capped lower (i.e. Dublin Bus only is €7 daily)

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

CatInABox wrote: »
    As riddlinrussell said, contactless is coming as part of BusConnects, but capped fares are already here. There's a daily cap of €10 (if you use more than one mode of transport), and a weekly cap of €40 (again, this is if you use more than one mode of transport). If you only use one mode of transport, the fares are capped lower (i.e. Dublin Bus only is €7 daily)

and contactless will apply across all modes?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

and contactless will apply across all modes?

Once rolled out yes

• Registered Users Posts: 976 ✭✭✭riddlinrussell

As Catinabox said there is currently a cap, should have mentioned but I operated on the idea that when the contactless card functionality is added the system will likely be changed over to the 90 minute fare so possibly they will retain the 10 euro cap for a day?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 10,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatInABox

As Catinabox said there is currently a cap, should have mentioned but I operated on the idea that when the contactless card functionality is added the system will likely be changed over to the 90 minute fare so possibly they will retain the 10 euro cap for a day?

I'd be pretty confident that they'll keep a cap on it, but we won't know at what level until closer to the time. Can't see it changing massively though.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Just to point out, that London contactless still has a daily and weekly cap similar to Dublin. In fact Dublins cap's are pretty much modelled after it.

The only gotcha in London with the cap, is that you have to always use the same payment card for the cap to apply. You can't use your visa credit card in the morning and then swap to a mastercard debit card later in the day. Well you can, but you will have two different daily caps then. It is one cap per card, if that makes sense.

I'd see no reason why the 90 minute ticket would change anything with capping.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

bk wrote: »
    Just to point out, that London contactless still has a daily and weekly cap similar to Dublin. In fact Dublins cap's are pretty much modelled after it.

The only gotcha in London with the cap, is that you have to always use the same payment card for the cap to apply. You can't use your visa credit card in the morning and then swap to a mastercard debit card later in the day. Well you can, but you will have two different daily caps then. It is one cap per card, if that makes sense.

I wouldn't see that as a gotcha. Hard to see how it could be implemented any other way.

Short of having another account management system with linked cards... but that's just another layer of complexity and IT infrastructure for no gain

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

I wouldn't see that as a gotcha. Hard to see how it could be implemented any other way.

Short of everyone having another account management system with linked cards... but that's just another layer of complexity and IT infrastructure for no gain

You are correct, "gotcha" was a poor choice of word on my part. I didn't mean it in a way that they are looking to rip people off. I agree that it would be complex to handle it and more of a case of an "exception" to be aware of it in London.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,183 ✭✭✭✭Marcusm

Seriously? How would you expect TfL to manage across multiple payment cards? The daily and weekly caps mean that bank cards get a better deal than cash oyster users precisely to move away from dedicated travel cards for all but monthly and annual pass users.

• Advertisement

Marcusm wrote: »
    Seriously? How would you expect TfL to manage across multiple payment cards? The daily and weekly caps mean that bank cards get a better deal than cash oyster users precisely to move away from dedicated travel cards for all but monthly and annual pass users.

I don't expect them to do it! Where did I say they should?!

I'm just explaining one issue that tripped up a lot of people up in London. If you have multiple contactless cards in your wallet, it is easy to accidentally pull out a different one then you might have used earlier in the day. And some people have the habit of just holding their wallet against the reader, if you do that and have multiple cards in your wallet, different ones might get read first.

Again, I'm not saying there is a fix for this, there isn't really a good fix for this, I'm just letting people know something to watch out for while in London and if the same gets eventually deployed here.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Card clash is a fairly major issue seeing as plenty of people carry three valid payment cards (debit, credit and an e-money or online full bank like n26 or revolut) now.

It could be handled on the back end but not easily or cost-free in terms kf managing refunds

L1011 wrote: »
    It could be handled on the back end but not easily or cost-free in terms kf managing refunds

Yep, I can certainly think of ways of handling it on the backend. The bigger issue would be a fare evasion issue. Lets say you could assign multiple cards to one account online, so that they would all be treated as one persons account for the sake of the cap at the end of the day.

The issue with this is that people could then give one of their cards to a family member to use on the same day, so that both with hit the cap quicker and get free rides.

The only way I can think of to handle that would be for ticket inspectors checking cards or perhaps some datemining to look for unusual travel patterns. But both would have their issues.

Easiest thing to just ignore it and inform people to only use one card.

Apple have just added Apple Pay Express Transit for London:

https://www.theverge.com/2019/12/2/20991458/apple-pay-express-transit-london-tfl-feature-available

Very cool feature, basically it allows you to use Apple pay to pay on iphone/watch, without having to do the usual FaceID, etc. Just hold the turned off phone/watch near the reader. Even works for any extra 5 hours after your phone runs out of battery (it still has a low power reserve).

I hope the NTA eventually bring this feature here.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

I hope the NTA eventually bring this feature here.
    If only there was a way for the NTA to get funds to develop a system to allow apple users pay

I'd say 13 billion should do it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

If only there was a way for the NTA to get funds to develop a system to allow apple users pay

Nta already have a project tendered out on it. They released some details about it earlier in the year with a company called Cubic.

Apple and Android Pay are just an implementation of the EMV contactless standards, so not much extra needed over normal conactless support.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,117 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Nta already have a project tendered out on it. They released some details about it earlier in the year with a company called Cubic.

And cubic is the same company that's done the London and New York contactless systems iirc

Advertisement