Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bus Gate lights Out. Made things better.

Options
  • 25-11-2019 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭

I dont know if any of you noticed over the weekend, but the traffic lights from Hawkins Street and Pearse Street Bus gate to College Green where not functioning for a large part of the weekend.

What was very apparent was how much better traffic flowed because of it.

Instead of traffic building up in the bus gate for 4 min intervals and going green for 20 seconds, traffic sailed by into the yellow box. No build up. Did not effect the traffic coming from D'Olier Street as thats always backed up.

Bus times greatly improved.

Maybe its time to think about how the complete shambles of a bottle neck can be improved.

A give way junction with a set of pedestrian lights?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 620 ✭✭✭LeChienMefiant

Glad you mentioned pedestrians.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,667 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Im sure traffic volumes are the same at 5pm on a Monday as the weekend including a reduced Luas service...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,818 ✭✭✭donvito99

Maybe its time to think about how the complete shambles of a bottle neck can be improved.

A give way junction with a set of pedestrian lights?

I think the reintroduction of the zebra crossing (i.e. absolute priority for pedestrians) would be a welcome development and work extremely well across the city.

It stops the "floor it to make it through this stale red" attitude seen during the rush hours and allows traffic to flow more organically as opposed to the stop/start pattern as you say. Basically, it employs the same principle as a roundabout.

If only we could get cars to stop at reds right now I would have some hope they would stop for a zebra.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

If we could get buses and mainly taxis coming from D'olier st to stop stopping on that yellow box and blocking it for traffic coming from Pearse st that would be super too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

.G. wrote: »
    If we could get buses and mainly taxis coming from D'olier st to stop stopping on that yellow box and blocking it for traffic coming from Pearse st that would be super too.

I tried this. Coming from the Bus gate. You simply cant get out unless you block the box .
    You will sit there till you decide that waiting for a clear yellow box and clear space in front of it is futile. Its not going to happen.

Who ever designed should be handed a P45

• Registered Users Posts: 5,415 ✭✭✭.G.

Realistically the whole area should be bus only, there's enough buses to cause it problems without lashing loads of taxis in the mix too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,744 ✭✭✭SeanW

.G. wrote: »
    Realistically the whole area should be bus only, there's enough buses to cause it problems without lashing loads of taxis in the mix too.
    At most, that would just buy time. For my own pessimistic view, I expect problems to continue in that area unless and until major alternatives are put in place, that is, Metro Link and the Dart Underground to give people key routes across and up/down to replace the Trinity/College St axis as the "spine" it acts as today.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,698 ✭✭✭Midnight_EG

Putting a bus through there from Hawkins St. And D'Olier St. was actually a joy without the lights, no more being stuck for 15 minutes at peak times.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭dashcamdanny

Taxis have way too much privilege in Dublin. Im failing to see why they are even aloud to use bus lanes and bus gates at all. They carry one or two people most of the time and make the cities congestion problem massively worse.

A bus takes up the space of two of them and carries nearly 100 people.

Yet these guys are aloud to choke it till it all stops. Along with private cars being completely un-policed ..

I really dont understand why the few people in charge are allowed to make everyone elses commute so miserable.

• Advertisement

Lights out all over Wesrmoreland St and Quays today.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,328 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

I really dont understand why the few people in charge are allowed to make everyone elses commute so miserable.
    hotels > commuters. that seems to be the gist of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,492 ✭✭✭john boye

In trying to alleviate Westmoreland Street they've turned a narrow street like Hawkins Street into absolute bedlam during the evening peak. Trams, buses and even BE coaches all stuck from one end of the street to the other every evening. The parked buses that terminate there are a huge problem. Having those buses start somewhere else would be a good start but where else is there?

Lights failing where Red/Green cross in city center this evening causing a lot of delays.

TII need to sort out.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,275 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Well if you look at the area bound by Stephen's green, Parnell square, Capel st/George's st., and Gardiner st/Tara st. Cars/taxis have no business being there, should be pt and deliveries owner under extreme penalty. Bus connects will remove a lot of buses from the area also.

I tried this. Coming from the Bus gate. You simply cant get out unless you block the box .
    You will sit there till you decide that waiting for a clear yellow box and clear space in front of it is futile. Its not going to happen.

Who ever designed should be handed a P45
    I remember years ago in Rome seeing full time traffic police on busy junctions. Even when we have (had?) operation freeflow in Dublin they throw out a few rookies with stupid looks on their faces who actually do nothing in my experience if you block for example a yellow box.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

Taxis have way too much privilege in Dublin. Im failing to see why they are even aloud to use bus lanes and bus gates at all. They carry one or two people most of the time and make the cities congestion problem massively worse.

A bus takes up the space of two of them and carries nearly 100 people.

Yet these guys are aloud to choke it till it all stops. Along with private cars being completely un-policed ..

Instead of banning taxis from them completely they should trial restricted hours.
    E.g no taxis between 8-10am and between 4 and 6 on bus lanes inside the canal zone and the bus gate.

Would seem like a fair compromise.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,388 ✭✭✭StreetLight

Instead of banning taxis from them completely they should trial restricted hours.
    E.g no taxis between 8-10am and between 4 and 6 on bus lanes inside the canal zone and the bus gate.

Would seem like a fair compromise.

A taxi ban is already in place on the Bus Gate from 7am to 10am. Routinely ignored of course.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Melanchthon

A taxi ban is already in place on the Bus Gate from 7am to 10am. Routinely ignored of course.

Haha I didn't realise that as have seen taxis going through.

Advertisement