Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

new RTE Player - How to get on Samsung Smart TV

• 03-11-2019 5:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭

I am getting a message on the RTE Player on my Samsumg TV saying I need to install the new RTE Player app but I dont know how to go about this.

Any advice

Mods- feel free to move to another forum if appropriate.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

there should be an option to update it on the app somewhere
    Navigate to the App that requires updating, press and hold the Enter key until the Sub Menu appears.
    Navigate to Update Apps and select.
    Click on Select All.

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

jimmynokia wrote: »
    there should be an option to update it on the app somewhere
    Navigate to the App that requires updating, press and hold the Enter key until the Sub Menu appears.
    Navigate to Update Apps and select.
    Click on Select All.

I wasn't able to do that. I ended up emailing Samsung Support who emailed me back with instructions on updating the settings of the apps. I followed those instructions which result in in All 4 app being deleted but no change to the RTE Player App. I rang Samsung Support and they updated the apps remotely. Still no change. Samsung Support advised me to contact RTE Player service directly.

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

I'm having the same problem....tried updating a few different ways but no joy.

Please let me know if you get resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

Seems to me that there is no way to access the rte player apart from casting it from a phone or tablet.is it possible to buy something like a firestick, nowtv etc that has the player preloaded that you can plug and play.i dont know much about this sort of thing but hoping someone might

• Registered Users Posts: 440 ✭✭bisset

bisset wrote: »
    I ended up emailing Samsung Support who emailed me back with instructions on updating the settings of the apps. I followed those instructions which result in in All 4 app being deleted but no change to the RTE Player App. I rang Samsung Support and they updated the apps remotely. Still no change. Samsung Support advised me to contact RTE Player service directly.

Rte Player Response

Some Smart TV's (LG/Samsung) are no longer providing updates or support for this particular version of the operating system. As such, if you have an operating system that pre-dates 2015 the latest RTÉ Player app update may not be compatible with your TV. If possible, please update the software on your TV to the latest version. If you are unable to do this, I'm afraid that I can no longer provide technical support regarding this issue.

I'll probably watch it on the laptop but less frequently

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭JoeCat

Rte Player Response

Some Smart TV's (LG/Samsung) are no longer providing updates or support for this particular version of the operating system. As such, if you have an operating system that pre-dates 2015 the latest RTÉ Player app update may not be compatible with your TV. If possible, please update the software on your TV to the latest version. If you are unable to do this, I'm afraid that I can no longer provide technical support regarding this issue.

I'll probably watch it on the laptop but less frequently

I find it unbelievable nowadays that a TV that is 4 years old wouldn't be supported. Obsolete technology in 4 years when TVs used to last 20 years!

On another topic but related, am I the only one with a Samsung Smart TV and RTE Player no longer has live channels for several months now when it used to?

For the last several months, you can only watch all the recorded programs in archive. None of the live TV channels is there any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭Zenith74

FWIW I had the same issue with a 2-3 year old Samsung TV. Turned out the built-in RTE player app (with the black icon) cannot be updated at all, you just need to download the new RTE Player app (red icon) and hide the old one. Clear as mud!

• Registered Users Posts: 241 ✭✭SuperStarHoney

Zenith74 wrote: »
    FWIW I had the same issue with a 2-3 year old Samsung TV. Turned out the built-in RTE player app (with the black icon) cannot be updated at all, you just need to download the new RTE Player app (red icon) and hide the old one. Clear as mud!

Unfortunately I cannot see the new RTE player (red icon) in the Samsung Store to do this. I've emailed Samsung asking about this......will post if I get resolved.

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭harryd2

Rte Player Response
    , if you have an operating system that pre-dates 2015 the latest RTÉ Player app update may not be compatible with your TV.

I have an older and newer Samsung TV.
    The new RTE App only appears on the newer TV
    It seems older Samsung TV's don't support it :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭AlanG

I haven't tried updating but I know when I first tried to install I could not see the RTE App. This was because I had set the region to UK to tune in the freesat. I needed to switch back to Ireland before RTE would appear in the app store - perhaps something similar now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 575 ✭✭✭Holy Diver

AlanG wrote: »
    I haven't tried updating but I know when I first tried to install I could not see the RTE App. This was because I had set the region to UK to tune in the freesat. I needed to switch back to Ireland before RTE would appear in the app store - perhaps something similar now.

I’ve mine set to uk and had no problem installing the new red app. I couldn’t update the old app so had to just download the new one. My tv is prob 2017 though.

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭brandonviewer

I have a 2015 Samsung with the old rte app.i just bought a now tv stick and had no problems downloading the new player onto that. It's working fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭fat-tony

I've had a similar issue with my 2014 model Samsung TV (bought in 2015). I wrote to Samsung support. Their reply states that "RTE Player application is no longer supported for our 2014 models of Samsung". Goes on to state that application providers are continually updating their services but "it is unfortunate that these products that are affected have reached their software limitations". They've suggested that I connect a smart device - Blu-ray, Chromecast or Firestick etc.

Needless to say, I was fairly miffed by the fact that my so-called smart device is now obsolete in the software sense, despite working fine as a display. I let Samsung support know that I was not best pleased and that I would be complaining to consumer affairs that their support lifetime was inadequate for high-cost consumer appliances.

So, it seems that if your Samsung smart TV is more than 4/5 years old you're stuffed unless you buy an external device.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Deesse

Did anybody find how to resolve this? I've a 2013 TV.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,189 ✭✭✭jos28

I'd appreciate a bit of help with this too. My Samsung TV is 2014. I tried viewing the RTE player app on my phone planning to link it to my tv. The phone app drove me mad as it kept losing connection

• Registered Users Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭Raoul

Been trying this myself for a while and only found this thread bit of a joke that the app doesn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,115 ✭✭✭mrsdewinter

Sorry to bump this thread but today was the day I decided to watch the RTE Player in my Samsung TV (purchased: 2015) and googled to see why I couldn't find it. How tedious. No resolution since June 2020, I guess?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,403 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

or 2022, still not showing live programmes that can be watched on a phone

Advertisement