Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Favorite Cadbury Roses Sweet

Options
  • 25-11-2019 11:23am
    Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Similar to the other polls it's time to vote for your favourite Cadbury Roses Sweet.

The Options are;

Hazel Whirl,
    Golden Barrel,
    Hazel in Caramel,
    Strawberry Dream,
    Caramel,
    Country Fudge,
    Signature Truffle,
    Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunk and
    Tangy Orange Creme

Favourite Cadbury Roses Sweet 56 votes

Hazel Whirl
    0%
    Golden Barrel
    14%
    StarkScarinaemccartj5georgem25hdlamber2OUTDOORLASSGRACKEA 8 votes
    Hazel in Caramel
    16%
    artanevillasadie1502__oc__[Deleted User][Deleted User]Mollyb60TK LemonGerianamkhalessi 9 votes
    Strawberry Dream
    12%
    ronan.hPosybaby and crumbleDavybluecherry74waxmelts2000Cloudio9 7 votes
    Caramel
    23%
    FracturecorblimeyThe J Stands for JayPostgrad10Sunny DayzjellybearLoughccelbridge74shhlingLadybird37Jb1989ShirlywhirlLineOfBeauty 13 votes
    Country Fudge
    8%
    TootsfreshpopcornCassieMansonSarahLilCheerLouth 5 votes
    Signature Truffle
    10%
    DvBjohn kinsellatribalwingsJude13TRS30aj89 6 votes
    Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunk
    10%
    AutosportChibsMorrison Jruthy_2504EleysianPurple Mountain 6 votes
    Tangy Orange Creme
    3%
    Muppet ManFlyer29 2 votes

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Caramel
    VHyvxjx.jpg

Scientific research.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Signature Truffle
    Fudge.

When you actually look at the variety in roses now its really gone downhill.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭Postgrad10

Caramel
    Strawberry dream is the only one I like. And usually there’s only a few in a tub as per the picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Pitch n Putt

Roses are rubbish now. Not even made with real Cadbury’s chocolate. Worst of the main boxes on the market now.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Can't vote as they ruined Roses by getting rid of Brazilian Darkness :(

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,731 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

Caramel
    Roses are rubbish now. Not even made with real Cadbury’s chocolate. Worst of the main boxes on the market now.

Completely agree! Went downhill once Cadbury sold to Kraft in the states.

Caramel
    odyssey06 wrote: »
    Can't vote as they ruined Roses by getting rid of Brazilian Darkness :(

That was an improvement getting rid of them!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,420 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Country Fudge
    I can't believe 4 people have already voted for the Strawberry Dream - easily the worst sweet known to man :(

I didn't even bother buying Roses this year - they were crap the last two years so I've stuck with Quality Street & Celebrations this year!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hazel in Caramel
    There used to be a great coffee sweet in the Roses years ago. I don't like coffee but loved that sweet. I was devastated when they took it out. The barrel or strawberry dream are my favourite now.

Caramel
    CheerLouth wrote: »
    I can't believe 4 people have already voted for the Strawberry Dream - easily the worst sweet known to man :(

I didn't even bother buying Roses this year - they were crap the last two years so I've stuck with Quality Street & Celebrations this year!

I haven't bothered with Roses in the last 2 years either.... however Strawberry Dream is the greatest sweet known to man :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,797 ✭✭✭Jude13

Signature Truffle
    Fudge as in the past they were nice. They now seem to be crumbly sugar.

As an aside I bought a bag of Toffee sweets from M&S and they were far nicer than the ones in QS. May just buy nice sweets and not the tubs when home.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,525 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

Strawberry Dream
    Good description of the fudge, Jude.

The caramel ones are alright, the strawberry dream is horrible now, with bits of gravel in it! :p

I don't bother buying Roses anymore now, bleeurgh!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,120 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Signature Truffle
    Posy wrote: »
    I don't bother buying Roses anymore now, bleeurgh!

I was thinking after my last post that it must be at least 5 or 6 years since I actually bought a tub of roses, never liked most of them even back then, not a fan of the gooey orange or strawberry and then they got rid of the one gooey one i liked the coffee one, so we stopped getting them & just got QS instead.

Like Jude said, I used to like the fudge but am thinking more of the fudge in heroes methinks, couldnt tell you what the fudge in a tub of roses tastes like anymore.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 27,880 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Loughc wrote: »
    That was an improvement getting rid of them!

2c05042779bec3eaf9f21a3f2fa9dd1bcda0cb65_00.jpg

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,971 ✭✭✭SarahLil

Country Fudge
    Jude13 wrote: »
    Fudge as in the past they were nice. They now seem to be crumbly sugar.

As an aside I bought a bag of Toffee sweets from M&S and they were far nicer than the ones in QS. May just buy nice sweets and not the tubs when home.

I don't bother myself anymore with the tubs, M&S have nice chocolates at the minute a tray of them with a clear lid so you can see the chocolate 6 euro, you can get different ones dark, mixed chocolate, mint chocolate they are very nice they've a larger box for 15 euro I'm sure you will seem them when you are home

My other half has said pick up a box of the white chocolates they were nice last year he means Dairybox so il keep an eye out for an offer on them

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Golden Barrel
    My ranking would be:

1. Hazel Whirl
    2. Signature Truffle
    3. Caramel
    4. Hazel in Caramel
    5. Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunk
    6. Tangy Orange Creme
    7. Golden Barrel
    8. Strawberry Dream
    9. Country Fudge

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunk
    Does anybody have a list or image of the original selection?

To thine own self be true

Hazel in Caramel
    I used to love strawberry dream. Would have fought with my siblings over them back in the day. But they taste completely different now. I went with the barrel. They're all grand but not a patch on what they used to be and definitely the worst of the Christmas sweets.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,223 ✭✭✭jellybear

Caramel
    I voted Strawberry Dream :) Similar to others, I wouldn't be bothered with Roses anymore.

Order would be:

1. Strawberry Dream
    2. Tangy Orange Creme
    3. Signature Truffle
    4. Caramel
    5. Country Fudge
    6. Dairy Milk Chunk
    7. Golden Barrel
    8. Hazel in Caramel
    9. Hazel Whirl

Caramel
    Does anybody have a list or image of the original selection?

Sadly no, but here are a list of all "retired" sweets.

UK, Isle of Man & Republic of Ireland

Brazilian Darkness - A chewy toffee square coated in dark chocolate (red wrapper with gold edges).
    Praline Moment - Silver foil wrapped.
    Chunky Truffle - Shaped like a chocolate brick, wrapped in blue foil.
    Bournville - Small bar of Bournville Dark Chocolate. Moved brand to Cadbury Heroes.
    Almond Charm - Blue foil-wrapped milk chocolate, with almond nut pieces.
    Coffee Creme - Coffee flavoured, fondant cream soft centre, covered in dark chocolate.
    Montelimar - Chewy nougat, encased in milk chocolate; green foil-twist wrapper.
    Marzipan - Piece of marzipan, encased in dark chocolate, Red foil-twist wrapper.
    Turkish Delight - Rectangular shaped, dark purple foil wrapped.
    Nutty Truffle Log - Log shaped; emerald green foil-twist wrapper
    Orange Crisp - Orange wrapper.
    Chocolate Bite - Pink wrapper.
    Noisette Whirl - Green and transparent wrapper.
    Lime Barrel - Green wrapper.
    Black Cherry Cream - pink/purple wrapper.
    Cadbury Dairy Milk - One rectangular chunk of Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate divided into two squares (classic purple plastic-foil twist-wrapper, bearing 'Cadbury Dairy Milk' and the traditional 'glass and a half' logo). Moved brand to Cadbury Heroes. For many years this was the only chocolate in the selection where the wrapper did not bear the 'Cadbury Roses' logo - all others did.
    Caramel Velvet - Green wrapper.
    Almond Caramel Bite - Soft and chewy caramel, with many small pieces of almond (light brown wrapper with purple twists).

• Advertisement

Caramel
    jellybear wrote: »
    I voted Strawberry Dream :) Similar to others, I wouldn't be bothered with Roses anymore.

Order would be:

1. Strawberry Dream
    2. Tangy Orange Creme
    3. Signature Truffle
    4. Caramel
    5. Country Fudge
    6. Dairy Milk Chunk
    7. Golden Barrel
    8. Hazel in Caramel
    9. Hazel Whirl

That is also my exact same order. We could never share a tin of roses so we'd only kill each other :P

• Registered Users Posts: 6,550 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Hazel in Caramel
    Loughc wrote: »
    Sadly no, but here are a list of all "retired" sweets.

UK, Isle of Man & Republic of Ireland

Brazilian Darkness - A chewy toffee square coated in dark chocolate (red wrapper with gold edges).
    Praline Moment - Silver foil wrapped.
    Chunky Truffle - Shaped like a chocolate brick, wrapped in blue foil.
    Bournville - Small bar of Bournville Dark Chocolate. Moved brand to Cadbury Heroes.
    Almond Charm - Blue foil-wrapped milk chocolate, with almond nut pieces.
    Coffee Creme - Coffee flavoured, fondant cream soft centre, covered in dark chocolate.
    Montelimar - Chewy nougat, encased in milk chocolate; green foil-twist wrapper.
    Marzipan - Piece of marzipan, encased in dark chocolate, Red foil-twist wrapper.
    Turkish Delight - Rectangular shaped, dark purple foil wrapped.
    Nutty Truffle Log - Log shaped; emerald green foil-twist wrapper
    Orange Crisp - Orange wrapper.
    Chocolate Bite - Pink wrapper.
    Noisette Whirl - Green and transparent wrapper.
    Lime Barrel - Green wrapper.
    Black Cherry Cream - pink/purple wrapper.
    Cadbury Dairy Milk - One rectangular chunk of Cadbury Dairy Milk chocolate divided into two squares (classic purple plastic-foil twist-wrapper, bearing 'Cadbury Dairy Milk' and the traditional 'glass and a half' logo). Moved brand to Cadbury Heroes. For many years this was the only chocolate in the selection where the wrapper did not bear the 'Cadbury Roses' logo - all others did.
    Caramel Velvet - Green wrapper.
    Almond Caramel Bite - Soft and chewy caramel, with many small pieces of almond (light brown wrapper with purple twists).

WTF? Coffee Cream was dark chocolate? My entire life has been a lie. Maybe I do like dark chocolate after all? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

My favourites as a kid were Bourneville and Orange Creme. Wouldn't touch any of them now. Oh and the Noisette Whirl. I forgot about that one. That was really lovely.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Signature Truffle
    ..... the Noisette Whirl. .....

Was that the one with the crunchy nut inside?

Caramel
    No love for the plain Cadbury Chunk similar to Celebrations :D

Also I'm so proud of Strawberry Dream... :P

Caramel
    Really surprised at the poll results. Never realized so many people like the strawberry dream like me. We won’t be throwing a Christmas forum Christmas party anytime soon. Unless they come out with a box of strawberry dreams :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,009 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Cadbury Dairy Milk Chunk
    Thanks so much Lough.
    Just goes to show howany we're retired.
    I loved the nutty truffle logs the best.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I've voted Orange as that was my favourite - until they ruined Roses completely!! I just refuse to buy them now....they might eventually get the message!!

Caramel
    An extension of the sweet thread. Has anyone ever tried the strawberry dream bar they put in the Cadbury’s cake box? It’s horrible. Barely tastes like the sweet.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

I'm just going to sulk forever because they took away the Coffee Creme, my absolute favourite. Others didn't like them so I used to just strip the box of them.
    Everything is all spoiled and nothing's as good as it used to be. ~~huffy~~ *sniff* flounce

Advertisement