Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Battery care for winter

Options
  • 17-11-2019 8:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,045 ✭✭✭

Looking for tips on looking after the battery of a car that will be parked up for winter. Will disconnecting the battery be good enough to preserve it or should it be charged now and again? Are the solar powered trickle chargers any good?

Battery is only 1 year old so should be in good condition to begin with

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

You can disconnect the battery, but I would connect it to a charger once every 2 - 3 weeks for an hour or two to keep it fully charged.
    The battery can last a long time, but only once you keep it in full charge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Get a CTEK battery charger. It keeps the battery in fine fettle until next season!

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭tom petty

https://www.airflow-uk.co.uk/product/battery-conditioner/

I have three of my own and have fitted another four to cars belonging to overseas owners of of properties that I manage .
    My ones must be nearly twenty years old now and still doing their job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

w124man wrote: »
    Get a CTEK battery charger. It keeps the battery in fine fettle until next season!

Hey w124man,I ordered and got one of these after your post. Just wondering if you leave yours plugged in for the whole winter?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭w124man

Hey w124man,I ordered and got one of these after your post. Just wondering if you leave yours plugged in for the whole winter?

No I would leave it on for about two weeks and then disconnect for two. Just depends on the visiting frequency.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

w124man wrote: »
    No I would leave it on for about two weeks and then disconnect for two. Just depends on the visiting frequency.

Cheers for that, haven't used it yet but started the car earlier and it struggled a little so it is looking like a good buy already! Nothing worse than bringing cars around to jump it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,003 ✭✭✭Zoo4m8

Looking for tips on looking after the battery of a car that will be parked up for winter. Will disconnecting the battery be good enough to preserve it or should it be charged now and again? Are the solar powered trickle chargers any good?

Battery is only 1 year old so should be in good condition to begin with

I use a solar trickle charger on my wood chipper (four cyl diesel) , it’s used very infrequently and starts first time every time..

Advertisement