Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

need help picking a whiskey or a decanter

Options
  • 22-11-2019 6:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭

Hi all

I have a small bar at home and always meant to get a decanter someday. Today I bought a nice looking Royal Doulton decanter with glasses and I am looking for help to pick a nice whiskey for it.

I am not a big whiskey fan myself but my dad and brother enjoy a drop so I want to pick an extra special bottle for special occasions.

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Is it a lead crystal decanter?

If so, you need to use a whiskey you're going to drink frequently. You can't leave whiskey sitting in them for a special occasion or you'll give yourself an unsuitable dose of lead when you go to drink it.

Anyway - budget and style preferences for the actual whiskey (presuming its not lead)?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Ginger83

L1011 wrote: »
    Is it a lead crystal decanter?

If so, you need to use a whiskey you're going to drink frequently. You can't leave whiskey sitting in them for a special occasion or you'll give yourself an unsuitable dose of lead when you go to drink it.

Anyway - budget and style preferences for the actual whiskey (presuming its not lead)?

Hi its this...
    https://www.royaldoulton.co.uk/categories/drinkware/decanter-sets/decanter-sets-seasons-decanter

budget up to 150

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

That's "Crystalline" = no lead, so you're safe on that one.

Looking at what the Celtic Whiskey Shop has in that price range, I'd go for the Writers Tears Cask Strength which they have for 120 (or 130 for a previous years bottling). Most of the "very special" Irish products are >150 there and the best known one - Midleton VR - simply is not worth it. This is a personal preference, clearly. There are also some deals available elsewhere.

If you mean Scotch - smoke or not?

That's "Crystalline" = no lead, so you're safe on that one.

Looking at what the Celtic Whiskey Shop has in that price range, I'd go for the Writers Tears Cask Strength which they have for 120 (or 130 for a previous years bottling). Most of the "very special" Irish products are >150 there and the best known one - Midleton VR - simply is not worth it. This is a personal preference, clearly. There are also some deals available elsewhere.

If you mean Scotch - smoke or not?

Thanks. I have no experience with either

Ginger83 wrote: »
    Thanks. I have no experience with either

Avoid Scotch then, its an acquired taste (I'm massively oversimplifying and branding it all the same when there's piles of styles - its just easier :pac:). Plenty of people who drink Irish don't/won't drink it anyway

Writers Tears or a suitably priced edition of another pot still (Redbreast, Green/Yellow/Red Spot) would be what I'd go for as something that's both innoffensive but still has a distinct flavour and style.

• Advertisement

If your taste is for strongly peated malts, Talisker Dark Storm (Skye) or an Ardbeg (Islay) are good choices, but this is not at all to everyone’s taste. However my Dark Storm virtually disappeared last Christmas when everybody at my party developed a big grá for it. This year I have the smokiest of all, an Ardbeg, hoping some might be left over as it’s that bit heavier! I get these in the duty free, eg on way to/from Canaries.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Avoid Scotch then, its an acquired taste (I'm massively oversimplifying and branding it all the same when there's piles of styles - its just easier :pac:). Plenty of people who drink Irish don't/won't drink it anyway
    Writers Tears or a suitably priced edition of another pot still (Redbreast, Green/Yellow/Red Spot) would be what I'd go for as something that's both innoffensive but still has a distinct flavour and style.

+1 on this.

But if you do expand your drinks cabinet to include a Scotch then look for a quality Speyside (Glenlivet 12 or Glenfiddich 12) as they are the most approchable style of Scotch.

And then a Johnnie Walker Black label - as it seems to be the world's ubiquitous whisky.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

Thank you I will read up on all of those.

My wife showed me a bottle of 17 year old The Irish man from Carlow but again i never heard of it.

Are taster bottles available

• Registered Users Posts: 27,867 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Thank you I will read up on all of those.

My wife showed me a bottle of 17 year old The Irish man from Carlow but again i never heard of it.

Are taster bottles available

Not of the Irishman 17 year old alas, though you sometime see minis of the standard Irishman offerings in Dublin airport.

This is the best miniature set, 4 great pot still whiskeys including the €200+ Barry Crockett. Sometimes available in Supervalu, Dunnes, OBriens, local offies and Dublin airport.
    https://shop.supervalu.ie/shopping/product/1563085000

5011007024123_3.JPG

If you are in Dublin city centre, Celtic Whiskey Shop would have the best selection of minis.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

I am not a big whiskey fan myself but my dad and brother enjoy a drop so I want to pick an extra special bottle for special occasions.

If you are looking for an accessible, smooth and light whiskey, you won't go wrong with Yellow Spot. It's around €70 and very drinkable, ideal for the occasions you describe. Any of my friends who has described themselves as a "non-whiskey drinker" and tasted Yellow Spot have absolutely loved it, so it might be a nice introduction to good whiskey for you.

If you want to push the boat out, the Red Spot is even nicer, though around €120. Red Spot is my current favourite right now.

• Advertisement

Tom Dunne wrote: »
    If you are looking for an accessible, smooth and light whiskey, you won't go wrong with Yellow Spot. It's around €70 and very drinkable, ideal for the occasions you describe. Any of my friends who has described themselves as a "non-whiskey drinker" and tasted Yellow Spot have absolutely loved it, so it might be a nice introduction to good whiskey for you.

If you want to push the boat out, the Red Spot is even nicer, though around €120. Red Spot is my current favourite right now.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,002 ✭✭✭ipodrocker

Cant go wrong with Green Spot, its perfect Irish Whiskey to introduce people to Whiskey.

Advertisement