Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New job commute

Options
  • 22-11-2019 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭

Hi all,

Am I crazy to be thinking of giving up my job that's a 20/25 minute drive away for one that would involve getting from Maynooth to Mespil Road/Burlington Road for 8am?

And what would be the quickest way? Two buses, train/luas?

Comments

Aim to be in for half 7 and drive. Relax and have a coffee before going in to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Train and a Dublin bike up.

It's about more than the commute though, pay, happiness, work/life balance. Commute is only one aspect of a big decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Thanks!

Not sure if there's parking, waiting to find out.

It's a good bit extra money (15k+), but I've young kids, and I'm not sure the hit to my work/life balance world be worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

Don't forget the commute home, too. If you are only doing it for the pay increase, I think you'd be crazy. Traffic this year seems worse then any year I can remember in the last ten, and there is no doubt you're going to spend at least 3 hours a day commuting, and probably won't get home til all hours.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

The work/life balance hit is going to be severe and may well not be worth the 15k. Two additional hours or more a day gone (over existing commute time)

Due to the very poor Luas speeds Dominick-SSG its very possible that a 66X (67X also possible on the return trip) and walk to/from Merrion Square will be significantly quicker; despite the train speed to Broombridge being quite decent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

I'm from Lucan and I have a handy commute and I wouldn't drive to mespil Rd and back about 200 to 220 times a year in rush hour for 15k a year. Its only 7. 5k after tax too. 150 quid a week for at least 15 hours commute from maynooth, more sometimes. Surely you'll be on the train though, not driving in there?? Soul destroying.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

I gotta concur with the other posters about traffic this year being the worst I’ve seen it and the effect on work life balance. You’re gonna be doubling to tripling your commute easily during school terms. You’ll crawl down the arterial routes at good times and be regularly scuttled by accidents and breakdowns etc, before turning off into the quagmire of town. For €150 a week. You’d want to really want it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

Thanks!

Not sure if there's parking, waiting to find out.

It's a good bit extra money (15k+), but I've young kids, and I'm not sure the hit to my work/life balance world be worth it.

Before or after tax?

If before tax, then not worth it at all.

Minimum extra 10 hours a week commute. Additional costs of commute, additional stresses

Try and squeeze an extra 5k from current employer.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,386 ✭✭✭✭road_high

If it was me not a hope in hell unless there was serious working arrangement flexibility- Dublin traffic and commuting is hell (stating the obvious!) and that’s one of the most difficult to access and busiest parts of the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭VW 1

Once you mention the kids it's a no for me. My hours I work are generally 8.30-6 with a 30 min commute. So in general I see my young lad for 30-45 mins in the morning which consists of getting dressed and ready for the day and breakfast so not exactly bonding, and if I get home at 6.30 (day going exactly to plan) I see him for an hour in the evening before bed at 7.30. take half an hour off either end for increased commute and I'd barely see him. 15k isn't worth that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 45 ShaneODub

Is it just 15k, though, or is it a necessary stepping stone to an etra 25k, 35k etc? Depends on the job and the likely career paths.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,170 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

If I was offered double my salary in the morning with a company car to involve an M50 commute at peak I would turn it down, much better things to be doing with your life than hell commutes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,537 ✭✭✭ldy4mxonucwsq6

Hi all,

Am I crazy to be thinking of giving up my job that's a 20/25 minute drive away for one that would involve getting from Maynooth to Mespil Road/Burlington Road for 8am?

And what would be the quickest way? Two buses, train/luas?

If the extra money is the only reason you're considering this and you're happy in your current job then you have to consider if it's worth adding a couple of hours daily to your commute.

It wouldn't be for me, especially with kids. Don't underestimate how valuable those couple of hours are and the peace of mind that you can be with them in 20 mins if needs be.

Either way it's at least an hours drive for Maynooth to Mespil at that time and that's if there's no incidents on the route.

A few different public transport options, you're looking at taking two buses or the train and bus there and the same coming back and it will take at least 1hr 20 mins each way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 149 ✭✭GDK_11

I would say it’s a very personal decision. Relatively recently I took about a 20% cut salary wise but i now get to work from home and even office hours are flexible. With a baby at home I’m 100* better of now but I would say pick what suits you

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Get a train from Maynooth to Grand Canal Dock. 16 minute walk from there to Burlington Rd & Mespil Rd. Less if you get an electric scooter, and go along the canal.

Train at 6:38am gets you into Grand Canal Dock at 7:33. High probability of getting a seat for the Maynooth to Connolly part, and then the Dart to Grand Canal Dock. If you get on the train 5 minutes early, you'll be able to watch a TV program on your phone by the time you get to Connolly (I used to do this when getting the train from Leixlip to Blackrock).It'll take about an hour to get home.

Having switched from driving to Blanch (contract ended), to commute to town, I miss driving. Smelly commuters are annoying :pac:

If you do go for the train, check if you can get the "Monthly Commuter Rail & DART" tax saver ticket for €145.00 - depending on what you now drive, see if you'll be saving money doing this.

Advertisement