Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Roads? Where we're going, we don't need roads

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭Singer

Hope you have a good run and hope to see you in the pub after!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

Kellygirl wrote: »
    Best of luck on Sunday.
    Baby75 wrote: »
    good luck I hope you have a great day out there :D
    Mr. Guappa wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow!
    ReeReeG wrote: »
    Best of luck, you deserve a successful day after the training! Hope to meet you in McGrattan's!
    Best of luck tomorrow. Hope it all goes to plan.
    Singer wrote: »
    Hope you have a good run and hope to see you in the pub after!

Thanks all. :)
    OOnegative wrote: »
    Best of luck tomorrow, hope the A Goal is achieved. Run well!!

Thanks. Keeping your Half report in mind!
    Best of luck on Sunday! I'll be around Milltown so will look out for you for a shout out. Smash that A goal:D

Thanks C. :) There'll be a few familiar faces at Milltown from what I heard this morning. Just hope I've still on track at that point. :o
    Huzzah! wrote: »
    Us too. If you see a group who might be ReeRee and me and maybe a couple of others, so say hi!

Best of luck, TBO. Hope you’ve a great run on Sunday!
    I'd love that. Let me know if there's anything about your group that'll stand out. I'll probably be the person wearing a grey bobble hat & crying looking at the people who can run:pac:

I've never met them, but suspect they shouldn't be difficult to spot. Bet their sign says Flapjack Masters. :pac:

I was awake before 4am. Tried to sleep again after 6. Mixed results there and apprehensive whilst I was having breakfast. I've been through my gear and all that before the light fades. Just making some food now. Have made holes in the plastic sack, have taxi money. Have a headache to get rid of now.

Not sure how long I can stay in McGrattans because I'm working tomorrow eve, but also - I've been invited to another pub. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Best of luck tomorrow TBO! Hope it all goes brilliantly for you and you smash the A goal.

But... another pub??

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Good luck tomorrow B. Run well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Best of luck B hope all goes to plan for you

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,221 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

DCM 2019 report – DCM #4, marathon #5

In which we craiced Dublin, and partly cracked the race

Night before

Stayed off the computer/internet and phone after 7pm. Watched a little TV, read a book and listened to the radio. Helped a lot on the relaxation front. Slept OK until I woke at stupid o'clock in a sweat and couldn't get back to sleep. Didn't look at any devices as we know how that goes. Got up with the alarm, had breakfast. DJ on RTE Radio 1 said Jeff Buckley's Hallelujah was coming up, eh 6:30 on race morning, no thanks. Had to defrost the car before setting off.

Pre-race

Parked in Whitehall. Took a while to flag down a taxi, shared with some randomer who was also heading to the race. Went to McDonalds to wait for a bit. Cut across via Dawson Street which was a complete ghost town a la 28 Days Later. Walked past the Shelbourne, quick glance across the road to see if anyone had an internet look about them. Through the barriers and sent the family a 'calm before the storm' photo from next to the Dail. Removed various layers here. Feckin' jacket zip split again, I've had it ~10 years and every zip has been replaced 3 times over. Shuffled through the baggage area. Started smiling here as it was a beautiful morning and the 'here we go again' factor. My plastic throwaway sack was green and I thought perhaps Hulk mode could be called up on later. Spoiler alert - alas not.

Threw a mental note into my shoe. Photo link.

Of course, I forgot about this completely until I took off them at the baggage area post-race.

Excuses first. Toilets - this is my only complaint. Joined a queue at 8:30, even at this stage I thought the heart rate might increase, fortunately not. I gave up after 30 minutes as progress was brutal. Plenty went behind trucks, etc. I took imodium and hoped for the best. I found another block of loos within the zone, but at 9:03 I had to give up and scramble to move up. I thought they could have communicated more obviously about the other loos. My own lack of familiarity with the green wave zone was the main thing, tbf. Anyway. I missed the balloons going off.

We're away

I was unavoidably thrown by not being on time, at the line, etc. Had forgotten to check whether the watch was 'ready'. Toilets on the course early on and in the Park were in use or had someone hopping into them. This had a bearing on fuelling as I wasn’t sure what to do since breakfast hadn’t left the system as it were. I took one home made energy ball (not great) and 3 gels during the race, fortunately no issues. Would have been 3 bars/balls with the gels on another day. Slightly curious how things might have unfolded with water/electrolyte only. Swallowing water through the race was a little strange and different to training. I see a smattering of people here report dry retching, haven't had this myself. Although I was still occasionally thinking about stopping and taking the hit on the time, I tried not to get consumed by this and had some confidence an emergency toilet trip wouldn’t be on the cards. Having watched Steph Bruce's Chicago recap video that referenced her own ahem situation at mile 22, you never know.

Flew through the mile 1 pretty quickly, Jesus - we're at this October lark again. The sun is on, Autumn is here, feet moving and the support is out there. There was an ambulance trying to get through during 2 (?) and with its lights going I thought we'd have to stop. With plan A out the window I thought the conservative ish approach was gone as well. Had I been on time and closer the balloons then the strategy would have been put into practice, something like 9 min/mi odd. Dunno. Cracked on past 3 and into the park, we tightened here before turning onto Chesterfield (Lazare was here?) and we have some space. I felt quite comfortable, there was no repetition of some of the tricky stuff that arose a few weeks ago. Nice relief there. A good chunk into the Park I saw something pink floating in the air up ahead, out the gate. Finally, a balloon sighting. Mission secure? We’ll see. I found it impossible to judge how far ahead they were on time (or distance) and maybe that particular pacer was briefly behind and playing catch up. Approaching the Castleknock gate and someone had Eye of the Tiger blasting out of a speaker, great timing. Shortly after hello to the 10k mark, live band and back into the thick of the crowds. Kept it sensible. Unscathed so far. Positive thoughts.

During the Chesterfield stretch there was a young woman in front of me with a black top and shorts. Partly used her as a yardstick. I think by the volume of people and momentum it was unavoidable that I lost sight of her through Castleknock. Around mile 8 was my first thought of this year's novices and how Singer was up ahead, no doubt throwing down a few lightening bolts, etc. There were a few South Africans here who seemed impressed with the Park's scenery. With the shape of the course it was easier to see much more of the field ahead. 10 mile, fook we’re here already. How’d that happen? Is it going alright? I don’t remember much of 11 or 12 geographically or physically, think there was a great cheering zone in there somewhere.

We went under a bridge with the inevitable annual 'ogi, ogi, ogi' to keep the positivity flowing. At one point I hoped someone would start 'show me the way to go home' from Jaws. No, I can't sing. Not too far from the half and I spotted black top/shorts woman again. She appeared a little more hunched over now, and was checking something in her right hand. I passed before 13.1 and never saw her again. 14 and 15 definitely seemed to have a few more walking, good few banana skins as well. It was here I was again trying to remember WW’s notes and hoping to see about possibly making up some ground. Tricky balancing act – no progress without sacrifice. Couple of possible ways of doing this MP all the way or alternate on and off. I did hit 8:10-8:15 at some points alright and I know 7:55 flickered somewhere in the race too. Mile 16 - the sign said 'push', instruction duly received. That said, with it done and dusted, there was a slight mental note of 'don't go overboard'. Didn't see my aunt in Terenure this year, good section all the same. There was a tub of vaseline and sign for same on a wall somewhere, eh no. Miles 17 and 19 I remember damn all of ye, really.

20 is always a significant one as far as ‘hey, we’re on’ type thing, isn’t it? Marathoning. Again, trying to draw on memories of WW’s write up. The physical progress of getting past the 21 marker (or was it 22?) in itself, once it popped up, felt a unpleasant, to say the least. A woman fell before Heartbreak. From the sound it seemed like a skid at first, fortunately some of her club colleagues were on hand. I remembered Neady’s ‘carnage’ describe from a few years ago applying to the back end of the race. Also saw a woman around the RDS I think in pain (getting assistance too). I think the final stint is where I was less switched on than I would have liked. With all the parkrun shout outs and just that bit left to go, you'd think something would happen. I rarely fire up at parkrun so this may be partly why. Other than that, I dunno if I can put a finger on it. St Vincent's has often been referenced in reports, don't remember it at all. The excitement and atmosphere of the end was unquestionably rather delightful, I didn’t take advantage.

Highlights

Too many to note. Wearing the parkrun shirt got me loads of shout outs, I stopped counting after hearing about 10 of them (easily). After the 20 mark someone said to me 'only two parkruns to go'. Big shout from eoinín of here (and Malahide) and thanks to fellow nop ninja Pompla for one too. Spotted another Malahide RD maybe 2-3 miles from the end, quick chat before she told me to go on as I was faster. Eh, didn't feel like it at all. Saw her later at the medal area. Great to see a familiar face, what a day. Kids were a great laugh. Power buttons were pressed. Somewhere late on even a Garda got in on the cheering. Couple of armed members around this year as well.

Body held up well, for the most part. There was no padlock sensation in the upper half a la what happened in Waterford in August, etc. Only once did the pulse in the neck seem to really fire, maybe 21 or 22 ish. I was sensible on the climbs throughout and let the gradient tell me how to feel the pace.

Somewhere on the N11 there was a Lusk AC sign with HTFU on it - held up by a kid, they start young out here on the lingo. :D

Any word on whether Pheidippides himself will be in McGrattans?

Funnily enough, I saw a bloke wearing a shirt (what were the chances?) quoting Pheidippides: 'Rejoice, we conquer'. Quick chat to approve of said shirt and wished him well. Also said welcome to a Dane, someone from Fulham, other UK folks 'loving it so far' was thrown back at me around 15 by one, nice. If the event is the 'friendly marathon' it seems reasonable to throw your 2 cents in.

Garmin
    26.40 at 8:46
    3:51:24
    1-10 @ 8:55, 8:59, 9:05, 8:46, 8:39, 8:42, 8:36, 8:34, 8:39, 8:37
    11-20 @ 8:45, 8:38, 8:46, 8:54, 8:47, 8:40, 8:26, 8:23, 8:30, 8:20
    21-finish @ 8:27, 9:06, 8:54, 8:47, 9:26, 9:36 (and 8:37)
    HRM wrist inaccuracy such that it may be. 158 avg, 183 max. 90% zone 4
    Aerobic 4.9
    Cadence 164 avg and 174 max.

Chip
    10k: 55:19
    Half: 1:55:20
    30k: 2:43:35
    40k: 3:38:25
    Finish: 3:51:22 at 8:50
    (PB of 6:03)

Verdict and learning

Considering the early part I think it went pretty well. The tone of this report is not disappointment – plenty of moments of ‘loving this’, as per my UK colleague’s sentiments earlier. The system says I crossed the start at 9:08am. Afterwards I overheard someone in the baggage area say they didn't think they were a marathon runner which I felt was a shame. Maybe had a tough day. Not being in his shoes I thought it best not to jump into that conservation.

Watch - I only used this for pace and mileage. I never checked the time, even towards the end, mostly as I didn't want to get fixated. Would have been no harm to check it 2k from the end or earlier and push and take the ugh factor. Think I'm a little lacking in mental prompts and cues. The support was amazing, but I could do with some more self-reliance and hadn't remembered the blue carpet at all. The glutes felt it for the final few alright. Core issues, race kicking in, overdoing it earlier? Soles of the feet felt like they there on fire again from Fosters, brought back memories. I felt better on the N11, but not like 2018, no strong finish or ability to try and pick people off. Credit due - Trim shirt plus black/green shirt woman ahead just had more legs. Nice shout from someone else from Malahide around the US embassy, that helped and I think Lazare was not too far after. Keep those smiles going.

You could not accuse me of having grit, though. Didn’t feel like that at all, as evident where it would have counted. Post-20 the marathon will not be kind, as some of this year's novices now know too. It wasn’t bad like the FD10, and at times during the race it felt like had I an engine overall, sorta. The balloons popped up 3-4 other times which brought some strong optimism and I tried to remember where for the purposes of mentioning here. I can't. I was never close enough to read the 3:50 writing, or in fingertip range. Earlier on, I had flashes of a wanting to punch down the damn clock. Indecision stopped me from belting it to catch up with them. Crossing the mats was a nice little boost across the event, no question.

It's been a very positive year for PBs, no complaints there. 3:45 will happen another day. Look, it could easily have been a lot worse out there. Writing this and thinking back has been very positive.

Post-race

When I turned on my phone my sister had sent a message saying I had 'smashed' my previous PB. Eh wtf, she is not an athlete - where is she getting this? :D

Going through the exit area with the grilled fencing and the throng of supporters felt akin to what it must be like leaving prison. Quick tip into Tesco for some shortcut food, beef jerky. Might have looked a bit dazed and confused in the shop, reconnecting with society after a race is weird. Thereafter, did ponder about 5k pace on the brief march to McGrattans...

Great to catch up with some of ye. Seems to have been a very positive day across A&R. :cool: I think Murph_D was worried I wasn't elated enough! He clued me in on the pronunication of meno. Got Singer to extole the virtues of BBC Radio 6, etc. More of a Radio 4 snob myself. :pac: And ReeReeG said 'are you TBO?' :pac:

Next

Oh, the tips of the toes after I got off the bus. Pints or no pints, anyone else waddle to the bathroom at 6am the next morning? :pac: Going to take it handy now, maybe wrap up 2019 with a 20:XX parkrun in December and that'll do as a final nod to 2019. I will skip DCM 2020 and volunteer instead. At least that way I can shout at internet people and not get banned. :pac: Still somewhat keen on the Flying Pig in Cincinnati for next May - more as a tourist marathon. If not, I'll see about a 10k or 10 mile at home in the Spring. Some more time on S&C will help regardless of plans.

Recovery, and the shoes can have a good rest. As black underneath as I’ve seen. Vaseline into temporary retirement.

Oct 28th

Walk around the bypass
    Laundry :pac:

Oct 29th
    Almost forgot to get off my bus stop near work, I was so consumed reading the reports.

----

Many thanks for all the support. As I said in the pub, Irish internet servers must almost crumble with all the countrywide posts pre-DCM.

For now, I'll leave you in the hands of the mighty Sarah Jarosz.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,807 ✭✭✭skyblue46

Hey B, that's a great report as usual. Really well done on a great race. The splits are pretty impressive.

Maybe it's time you took yourself back to that place you used reside, the Sub 4 thread, and crack some heads together. You have shown over the last year/18 months what can be done with dedication, application and a proper plan. Long may it continue. Onwards and upwards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Great read that, well done Sunday. Race & performance to be very happy with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

Congrats again! And yes I did ask that.. I had thought some man who shouted "boards" at us in Milltown may have been you, but the faces didn't match up as it turned out :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭Unthought Known

Fantastic race B, really good splits. Great report as always.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,003 ✭✭✭✭The Muppet

Great Report B Congratulations on the PB.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,706 ✭✭✭Mr. Guappa

Congrats on the PB! You were pointed out to me in McGrattan's but I'd to leave before I'd managed to say hi. Next time :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,338 ✭✭✭eyrie

Lovely running TBO, congratulations. Sounds like you were very solid throughout. Hope the aches and pains are easing!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 480 ✭✭ewc78

Well done, great report.
    I didn't know you had a log,which is a shame as we were both doing the meno plan. Would have been nice to follow someone doing the same workouts.
    Congrats anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,671 ✭✭✭hillsiderunner

Great report :). That's a lovely result and a well-paced run, a small bit of slowing down in the final couple of miles is nothing to be ashamed of. Enjoy the recovery and the shorter distances ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,376 ✭✭✭diego_b

Excellent report, well done on the pb and the general progress you've been making...keep up the good work!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,600 ✭✭✭Wubble Wubble

Super race and report B. Thanks for the mentions in there, I didn't think anyone was really using those any more :pac:

Cincinnati in May? Best of luck! So no Connemara or Inishbofin then....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Great race report! Very well done on your PB :D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,020 ✭✭✭Kellygirl

Brilliant report and a great pb. You’ve done really well getting your times down the last couple of years.

• Advertisement

Thank you all, very kind!

I've done fup all since DCM. Nov 16th was a slow parkrun 34:54, first time back in the shoes, 20 days post-race. It was nice. The watch was hidden under the longsleeve, I ignored it. Nov 17th was 5.05 miles slow. A little discomfort on the right at times.This week - initially thought about going out 5 days, but haven't run yet this week given Sunday. Overly cautious. In Malahide someone asked if I found DCM hard. I didn't answer yes or no, can't remember what I blurted out, if anything. Sleep's been mixed lately, as usual. Had a job interview last week and managed to slip a running reference in there. Gut feeling says I didn't get, though.

And we're locked in.
    Sunday, May 3rd 6:30AM
    2020 Cincinnati Flying Pig Marathon Weekend

Confirmation No. #######

Dithered over this for a while. I've signed up for the pasta party too, a chance to meet people the night before. :) For the race itself, their volunteers are called 'grunts'. No flights or anything else booked...hotels they recommend seem gone at this point. A few weeks ago, I looked at some reports on Reddit, the Pig is a bit hilly (knew this already). Course profile here. Hopefully scope for cracking on after half way. I said earlier about it not being a PB attempt. I've changed my mind on that. :o It'll be a bit of craic anyway. I think I shall skip the chilli that's available on the course, amongst other things, apparently.

I do hope to find a parkrun whilst in the US. Currently have my eye on South Boulder, we'll see. It's quite pretty.

Base plan comes next.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭Huzzah!

Brilliant! That's going to be so much fun.

Hi. Things got difficult lately. I was under a mountain of personal and professional stress, not sleeping and everything else. Came to a head last week and I thought (and felt like) about harming myself. It's been two years since things were last like this. Over 10 years since I've last done anything. Can't afford to do again as the cost is too high, emotionally. My GP was very understanding and this is the first time I've ever been out sick from a job.

I'll get back with a running update soon. Thanks for reading.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,454 ✭✭✭Comic Book Guy

Take care of yourself lad.

It might seem trite to say but sticking to your routine of running is great for the head space and don't be afraid to talk to family and friends.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭Laineyfrecks

Hey:) i fully agree with what comic book guy said - my main reason for running would be for head space! Life can get extremely hectic extremely quickly & sometimes just having a routine is good - even as hard as it may seem at the time!

One day at a time ;) Hope it gets a little easier for you soon - take care.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,291 ✭✭✭ariana`

Mind yourself TBO, keep running and keep talking.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,250 ✭✭✭coogy

Please mind yourself. FWIW always helps to take a step back and look at the bigger picture when faced with such stress.

Hope to see you back here soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭Applegirl26

TBO you've always been one of my favorite posters. I'm sorry life is a little heavy for you right now.

Keep running and keep talking...

We're all great listeners here. Well done for reaching out to your gp. That's incredibly brave. I hope you have supportive people in your home life too.

Take the dark days one day at a time and when it's pouring rain, take it one hour at a time. This time of the year can be extra tough on many. Be kind to yourself. You deserve it x

• Registered Users Posts: 1,756 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

It's definitely the time of year for the darkness to set in internally, when the weather outside and short days match that. It can be hard to even get yourself out the door I know. Parkrun might be a nice thing to focus on each week, I know you're a regular attendee anyway.

I don't know what else to say, but keep talking on here if you can, as Applegirl said above we are good listeners and I think that thread a while back about running and mental health really highlighted that so many of us regular posters struggle at various times. It's one of the few positive internet environments I've come across and we really are all here for each other.

Maybe a little Yoga with Adrienne off youtube tonight would help you? I've found yoga really does help me personally, as well as the Headspace app going to bed. I've struggled with sleep plenty of times before, and the ThisWorks lavendar sprays and wrist ointment have helped me also. Not getting sleep is the worst part of being overstressed as everything just gets so magnified somehow.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Sorry to read that, I know how you feel having gone through something pretty similar myself. Keep fighting and things will get better I guarantee you that, keep the running up in some sense as it’s great for letting off steam and clearing the head. Take care of yourself and hope to see you back posting soon man. Happy Christmas to you.

Advertisement