Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What's the worst game you like?

• 21-11-2019 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 27,321 ✭✭✭✭

Found my original Gameboy at the weekend with a box of games, most pretty good, but the one that I sat down and played and that kept my attention for an evening was an objectively terrible game - Mortal Kombat. Even by the limited standards of the Gameboy, it's a terrible port. 6 maybe 7 FPS, gutted characters and move sets, animation frames in the single digits, it's a terrible game but I still can't help myself from liking it.

I remember getting in with the Gameboy and a strategy guide and pouring hours and hours into it and somehow managing to convince myself that it's a was a semi-decent game. Not knowing any better really I memorized all the moves, the fatalities and the timing needed to beat the thing and that stuck with me. I can still complete this awful, awful game on one credit and spent most of Sunday doing that. It's a terrible game, but I can't help liking it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭hellsing101

Not sure if this is exactly a bad game but I loved the Megadrive Taz game. I played it again recently and its really janky with some weird sound design choices but it has that nostalgia factor.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,219 ✭✭✭✭Penn

Had a soft spot for Mashed on PS2. Kind of an updated MicroMachines-type racing game, with weapons and trying to knock your opponents off the screen/map. Spent a lot of time just chilling out, listening to music and playing Mashed.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

Sonic 06

Its just as janky as Sonic adventure and way more enjoyable than Sonic adventure 2 . But the sense of completion is what makes the game a fun but really painful mess XD

Sonic 06

Its just as janky as Sonic adventure and way more enjoyable than Sonic adventure 2 . But the sense of completion is what makes the game a fun but really painful mess XD

You have the patience of a saint to get enjoyment out of that game. The loading screens every few seconds put me off long before I could finish it.

• Registered Users Posts: 182 ✭✭Arcadeheroes

You have the patience of a saint to get enjoyment out of that game. The loading screens every few seconds put me off long before I could finish it.

I played the worst version of it aswell to top it off (Ps3) XD.

I think once I started it , I vowed to complete all the characters story arcs. the last boss music theme is so epic ! :L

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,804 ✭✭✭skerry

Final Fantasy XV.
    Im sorry, I love this game and the story but it has so many problems that I could never in good faith recommend it to anybody. Some unbelievable dumb QOL life issues and too many survival mechanics that don't mesh well with one another.

Bought this a good while back, played about 5 hours and dropped it. Picked it up again the last week, I'm still not sure what to make of it. I'm at chapter 3 at the moment.

At times they introduce a new character and I'm there scratching my head wondering did I miss an entire section of the game where they gave their background, but no, they really just dropped them in out of nowhere. The Regalia is just weird too, may aswell be a loading screen, pick a destination and wait 5 minutes for the car to drive itself there. And putting the item pick up button on the same button as the jump button is just weird carry on altogether.

Having said all that, I'll still go back and chip away on the odd main story mission. I'm hoping I can avoid side quests completely cos I'm not up for wondering around collecting frogs and the like.

Final Fantasy XV.
    Im sorry, I love this game and the story but it has so many problems that I could never in good faith recommend it to anybody. Some unbelievable dumb QOL life issues and too many survival mechanics that don't mesh well with one another.

I never got the hate for this game, its a good Final Fantasy especially after 13, I know it's not the best in the series but its a fun game with a pretty good story.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Snake - Nokia phones for those of a certain vintage !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,800 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Castlevania - the Adventure

One of the weakest Castlevania's and comes in at a measly 4 stages.

I can see why people hate this game. It requires very precise jumping, I remember lining up pixels under Simon's feet to make jumps. Level design can be lazy in places. To make the controls even worse the game lags a lot and eats inputs which makes the already tough platforming even tougher. And it's also a gaemboy game with screen tearing.

However it's not bad and once you get good at it it's enjoyable. Also the music is amazing. But I can fully understand the hate towards it.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,247 ✭✭✭✭Vicxas

Some people hated it, but i LOVED it

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Flappy Bird.

High score wars between myself and some friends consumed our downtime for weeks when it was the most popular game on the planet. It has a sort of charming incompetence to it, but that loop of casually scraping through a pipe is captivating even with / because of the baffling hit boxes. Has a sort of nonsense purity to it: just your ever-flapping avatar and a high score counter.

It quietly breaks my heart that it’s not available on modern phones.

Objectively awful in the best possible way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭Infernum

Doom 3 is often maligned for being the "black sheep" of the whole series. I still thought it was neat.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

7 days to Die

6 years in EA and still a buggy mental non sensical thing, but its brilliant.

410 hours........

• Registered Users Posts: 6,242 ✭✭✭corcaigh07

Driv3r for me, loved the first game and got sucked in by all the initial positive reviews.

Absolutely dreadful, it was in Alpha state being released. I paid 50 euro, I was knocking some value out of it. Very difficult in places but still remember being able to shoot the final boss 20 times in the head from distance without him noticing.

A symbolic end really.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,805 ✭✭✭✭Potential-Monke

I'll go a bit more modern with The Risen series. They're bad, bad games. The animations, the voice acting, the story, the combat, the exploring... It's all just so badly done. But I love them. Got Risen 3 last week, and I'll play it before considering other AAA games I recently got. Don't know what it is, but I loved the first 2 and while this one is definitely the worst of the 3 so far, I still want to play it... Can't explain, even to myself, why.

Advertisement