Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Midway (WWII Blockbuster - Roland Emmerich)

• 27-06-2019 6:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭

Teaser trailer looks better than the film Pearl Harbour

Directed by Roland Emmerich, previous films include: 2012, The Day After Tomorrow, Independence Day, Stargate

So, he can do effects, story is by Wes Tooke, previous writing work is mostly the SciFi Resistence to Alien Invasion TV show Colony. There's potential there. It did have some decent story in places.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Christ on a CG bike. Looks genuinely Roland Emmerich level shi'te

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That looks horrendous; as if not a single thing was learned from Pearl Harbour. Typical floaty, weightless physics & CGI that yanks all the tension and heft from scenes that should be visceral and punchy. The trailer itself is nauseating - presumably aimed at US audiences primarily.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

I bet the Jack Smight cut and paste 1976 film will still be better than this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,465 ✭✭✭✭banie01

The CG looks very poor and some of the flight physics are shockingly bad, particularly the Pearl Harbour sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

It looks like a trailer for a video game

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

Looks 'halfway' decent.
    :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Well that was an interesting google of the composers.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,288 ✭✭✭✭branie2

Is this a remake of the 1970s film of the same name?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

I'm always up for a Roland Emmerick movie.

It does look very Pearl Harboury, though.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

That looks like a pile of **** went on the beer, had a dodgy curry and made a newer pile of watery ****.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,483 ✭✭✭✭Varik

Looking forward to this now.

Start off with Pearl Harbour, the Doolittle raid, and months of loss until Midway. Battle of Midway was crazy, and people should read up on it.

US naval pilots died in droves for negligible Japanese air loss and no sea loss for most of it, but they managed to keep the Japanese fleet manoeuvring to avoid bomb/torpedoes and to keep the aircraft from refuelling.
    The Japanese went to finish off the US carriers they missed at Pearl Harbour but were kept off balance for the battle and in the end lost 4 of their own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Looks alright and will definitely be worth a chance for the spectacle but looks a little too 'Pearl Harbour' for me and some of the CGI looks a bit ropey.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Just awful. And Ed Skrein. Jesus.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Just awful. And Ed Skrein. Jesus.
    What did Ed ever do to you? :p

I quite enjoyed his Transporter movie!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,122 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Dades wrote: »

he's just terrible. an awful overactor.

More of an explosions trailer. Less about the story feels like..

• Registered Users Posts: 60,279 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Popcorn at the ready.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,957 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Dades wrote: »

He was decent in Deadpool

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Same comments apply as before; the air combat looks unconvincing and just devoid of heft or basic physics. To these eyes anyway. Can't buy into any of the tension or events when it's that obviously rendered on a computer.

there seems to be a bit of the get the Death Star about it

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

There's about a million inaccuracies in the trailer. Let alone the whole thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 867 ✭✭✭El Duda

Roland Emmerich is one of the worst, big-budget directors of all time.

if you want to get your history geek on you will find this interesting

• Registered Users Posts: 3,491 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

I'll just watch Tora Tora Tora instead.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

They showed a trailer of this before Gemini Man, when I went to see it. Midway's CGI looked even more ropey on the big screen.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,903 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'd rather watch the 70's one, complete with all it's mistakes and other shite.

Looks like a hit despite whatever the critics have been sayin

Box Office:
    Topped the box office at $17.5million with Doctor Sleep coming second on $14.1million
    https://www.boxofficemojo.com/weekend/2019W45/

Rotten Tomatoes:
    91% Audience Score from 2,086 Verified Ratings (people who've actually seen it as I far as I know)
    41% from critics

Cinemascore:
    Got an A cinemascore (again the rating from (people who've actually seen it I think)
    https://twitter.com/CinemaScore/status/1193052747530039296

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Was dreading this, thought I'd be walking out from some of the reviews (some of which I'd accidently heard being discussed on the radio) but I have to say I really enjoyed it. Great little popcorn flick, well worth seeing.

As for historically inaccuracies, they didn't do too badly at all on that score tbf.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,345 ✭✭✭Homelander

Not a bad movie but not a good one. I'd say 2.5 or 3/5 is about right for it.

Pacing is good, it's never boring, never spends too long on any individual character, scene or exposition, which really works for a film like this which tries to include all the context behind Midway. Acting is just OK.

What's really bad is the patchiness of the CGI. Some parts are perfectly fine, others look terrible....there's no real scene of scale or weight to a lot of it, feels very much like you're watching a video game sequence. I think the vast majority of the movie is green screen, almost zero model use, which really shows in the aerial sequences.

The 2001 Pearl Harbour is miles better in this regard for example and even though some of its CGI is dated by now, the use of actual models and sets makes it feel infinitely more real and gritty in the combat sequences.

Sound mix is also sub-standard in Midway. There's no real punch or weight to the sounds of bombs, gunfire, air defences, and so on. Comparing it to something like Pearl Harbour is night and day audio wise. This actually disappointed me more than the inconsistent CGI quality.

It seems relatively historically accurate and there aren't any glaring issues I would imagine for most people, though repeatedly showing planes flying ridiculously close - metres - to the ground in bombing runs kinda irked me, way too 'video game' for my liking.

Midway is worth a watch and will entertain, but it's a weak movie really.

• Advertisement
Advertisement