Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Landlord Entering Property Without Permission

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

The Nal wrote: »
    Thats exactly what I did yes. I stopped reading after you started mentioning serial killers.

So, whats the issue? Call the landlord and confront him on it.

You just lied though, because my message was after the OP which had the information you failed to read....

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sodafountain

I know I probably seem calm, but inside I'm raging about this. My husband is raging too, although his rage is slightly more visible :D

He favours the going in all-guns-blazing approach, and while there is a side of me that's all for that, the rational side of me is worried that we could end up with nowhere to live if the LL turns nasty. We have very few possessions in the house - basically it's just clothes, a few toys for the kids, and electronics. All of our stuff could be cleared out within an hour, and I don't want to come home and find the locks have been changed and our stuff is in boxes in the driveway. I know that's massively illegal, but realistically it would take months or more for us to get any resolution to that from the RTB, and that would solve the immediate problem of us being homeless.

Also, we're stretched to the limit financially at the minute - our rent is €3k per month, our furniture is all in a storage unit that's costing €150 per week and we're still paying the mortgage on our own house. We will eventually be reimbursed for these costs, but got knows how long that will take, and at the minute we haven't got any spare cash at all, so if he does illegally evict us, we wouldn't have the deposit to find somewhere else, and we also wouldn't have enough to stay in a hotel or Air BnB.

In terms of changing the locks, that's expressly forbidden in the lease and I want to make sure I do everything above board.

My husband has said the solicitor rang him earlier on (he missed the call) about something to do with our own house, so when he rings back, he's going to ask him should we write to the LL or have the solicitor do it. I'm leaning more towards a registered letter and then if he starts any nonsense, then set the solicitor on him so he knows we're serious.

I think the suggestion of popping in to the local Garda station is a good one, just in terms of the fact that he may be watching the house. I'll call in and see can I have a chat with someone about it, and emphasise that it's not the civil side I'm concerned about, moreso the stalkery element.

The weird thing is that this guy is a "professional" landlord. He has a load of properties rented out, so I don't know why he's so bothered with us. Unless he spends literally all his time learning the various routines of his tenants and sneaking in when their properties are unoccupied.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

One other item I would point out and this is the cynic in me coming out but I’m not sure exactly how neat stores the videos but I would ensure you have the videos saved in a safe offsite location like the cloud. If the ll continues to come into your property, he could look to destroy evidence depending on where a ll would take this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 686 ✭✭✭0xzmro3n4y7lb5

I’d say you’re looking at a €10k award from the RTB.

• Registered Users Posts: 563 ✭✭✭gibgodsman

so if he does illegally evict us, we wouldn't have the deposit to find somewhere else

You need to understand, even those who try legal evict tenents take months to do so, there is literally no way he can evict you, if he did every try to touch your stuff then a simple call the to the guards would have him sorted

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 53,398 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

OP, I guess all you want to happen now is for these strange visits into your home to stop, right?

I would just start by just confronting him about it directly. Tell him you are very unhappy and somewhat creeped out that he has been entering the property and ask him why he has been doing so. I wouldn't even mention the cameras initially, to see if he tries to deny it.

If that doesn't work, then you can look at going further. There's no point in going nuclear straight off the bat, it's easier to escalate things later than de-escalate once people have their backs up.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 sodafountain

We've signed up for the Nest subscription, so our videos are all stored on the cloud. Also, my husband has them downloaded and saved on a couple of flash drives, which are not kept in the house.

We have cameras in all the rooms downstairs (it's open plan so just the hall, kitchen/dining and living room and then play room) and one in the landing. He has gone into the bedrooms while he's there, but from the timings he looks to be literally walking in and straight out. He wouldn't have enough time to be sniffing my underwear or anything weird like that.

edit: Yes, I just want him to stop coming in to the house. TBH, the cynical/devious side of me wants to get this sorted without going nuclear, because then I'll have a nice bargaining chip if there's any issues with returning the deposit at the end of the lease.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,499 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

gibgodsman wrote: »
    You need to understand, even those who try legal evict tenents take months to do so, there is literally no way he can evict you, if he did every try to touch your stuff then a simple call the to the guards would have him sorted

Indeed. Even if he tries, lodge a complaint with the RTB and it could take years to resolve if you're awkward about it. So don't fear eviction.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,482 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

This is too creepy.

If he were checking the property surely one visit would have told him it was being looked after. I’m a landlord myself and the thoughts of this is disgusting.

Definitely save the evidence.

Absolutely confront him over this with times, dates and print off stills from video.

It’s unacceptable behaviour, he’s entering your home uninvited.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

I know I probably seem calm, but inside I'm raging about this. My husband is raging too, although his rage is slightly more visible :D

He favours the going in all-guns-blazing approach, and while there is a side of me that's all for that, the rational side of me is worried that we could end up with nowhere to live if the LL turns nasty. We have very few possessions in the house - basically it's just clothes, a few toys for the kids, and electronics. All of our stuff could be cleared out within an hour, and I don't want to come home and find the locks have been changed and our stuff is in boxes in the driveway. I know that's massively illegal, but realistically it would take months or more for us to get any resolution to that from the RTB, and that would solve the immediate problem of us being homeless.

Also, we're stretched to the limit financially at the minute - our rent is €3k per month, our furniture is all in a storage unit that's costing €150 per week and we're still paying the mortgage on our own house. We will eventually be reimbursed for these costs, but got knows how long that will take, and at the minute we haven't got any spare cash at all, so if he does illegally evict us, we wouldn't have the deposit to find somewhere else, and we also wouldn't have enough to stay in a hotel or Air BnB.

In terms of changing the locks, that's expressly forbidden in the lease and I want to make sure I do everything above board.

My husband has said the solicitor rang him earlier on (he missed the call) about something to do with our own house, so when he rings back, he's going to ask him should we write to the LL or have the solicitor do it. I'm leaning more towards a registered letter and then if he starts any nonsense, then set the solicitor on him so he knows we're serious.

I think the suggestion of popping in to the local Garda station is a good one, just in terms of the fact that he may be watching the house. I'll call in and see can I have a chat with someone about it, and emphasise that it's not the civil side I'm concerned about, moreso the stalkery element.

The weird thing is that this guy is a "professional" landlord. He has a load of properties rented out, so I don't know why he's so bothered with us. Unless he spends literally all his time learning the various routines of his tenants and sneaking in when their properties are unoccupied.

Changing the locks maybe forbidden in the lease but I would write the solicitors letter and it state that the locks are now being changed otherwise gardai will have to be involved.

Also the poster that says no crime committed - trespassing, intimidation (by way of fear of person in house) I'm sure your solicitor can build this further

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,478 ✭✭✭harr

If it was me I would definitely want to confront him and I would try to see if he has a pattern when he pays a visit, get your husband to be at home, but then again he could watching to make sure everybody is out. Me personally I feel letters and the likes is letting him off the hook and just a slap on the wrist.
    Definitely contact RTB and give them a copy of the rental agreement... You might understand one check on the house but this isn’t the case and I would be worried about personal details/ belongings being looked at including any financial stuff you might have knocking around. I wouldn’t feel comfortable till the locks were changed.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

Changing the locks maybe forbidden in the lease but I would write the solicitors letter and it state that the locks are now being changed otherwise gardai will have to be involved.

Also the poster that says no crime committed - trespassing, intimidation (by way of fear of person in house) I'm sure your solicitor can build this further

Similar to what the ll is doing, two wrongs don’t make a right. You are not allowed changed the locks if you are renting

Not sure a solicitor is required. Just talk to ll and rtb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,180 ✭✭✭kennethsmyth

Fol20 wrote: »
    Similar to what the ll is doing, two wrongs don’t make a right. You are not allowed changed the locks if you are renting

Not sure a solicitor is required. Just talk to ll and rtb

Locks have to be changed, use the solicitor to force a side letter agreement or otherwise action will be taken further including rtb.

Locks are needed to allow family members feel safe. Landlord will agree to this to avoid fine and possibly be in a local news report.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,344 ✭✭✭Thoie

El Weirdo wrote: »
    Ah here.

There's a 99.9% chance that he's just a nosy fecker. But taking the trouble to learn when the house is empty (particularly as he's a "professional landlord"), and going there repeatedly is just downright weird, El Weirdo.

There is absolutely no harm making a report to the gardaí. No-one's suggesting a lynch mob, just a factual statement about what's been going on. If it's all just nosiness, grand, nothing will ever happen. If things escalate, at least there's a record of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Woshy

The Nal wrote: »
    Indeed. Even if he tries, lodge a complaint with the RTB and it could take years to resolve if you're awkward about it. So don't fear eviction.

This is my take too - he cannot just throw your stuff onto the street and it is notoriously hard to evict tenants even when they are in the wrong. If you take it to the RTB it will take ages for it to be heard - but he will be aware that you know what he has been up to and hopefully that is enough of a deterrant for the future.

It is just so creepy that he has done it quite a few times and when he knows you won't be around. I'd be worried he'd be up in my bedroom sniffing knickers or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

If you just want it to not happen again without a massive fight then I'd contact the landlord and say you're 100% sure that someone has been in your house, that perhaps a former tenant still has a set of keys so you are requesting a change of locks. And that in the meantime you are picking up some cameras this evening to set up inside the house.

If he asks how you're sure then say you suspected it before and that yesterday you're 100% sure something was moved / door was open that was left closed. Pick something you saw him touch.

Even if he's reluctant to change the locks he knows you'll have the cameras. I can't imagine he'll go in knowing you have cameras set up, if he does then you confront him.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Similar happened to me in the uk, my very friendly neighbours observed the LL doing viewings for potential new tenants while I was away.

I confronted the LL over the phone immediately and they were highly embarrassed.

I demanded 3 months rent as compensation or I’d consult a solicitor, money was in my account the following week.

Those suggesting indirectly making the LL aware you know someone has been in the house are dead wrong, this LL has a sense of entitlement and will not stop until you confront them. Asking the LL to change the locks won’t make any difference, they’ll still hold keys to the new locks.

Confront the LL now with dates and times and demand recompense or you’ll take it further.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭dennyk

There's really no sense in playing silly games here. If you want him to stop coming into your house without permission, then ring him and politely but firmly tell him to stop coming into your house without permission. If he still persists after that, then you go to the RTB regarding his breach of obligations, or to the guards if you have reason to believe he's up to something more serious (e.g. plotting to rob the place or retrieving memory cards from his own hidden cameras or something). Don't screw around with passive-aggressive nonsense, just deal with the issue up front.

• Registered Users Posts: 673 ✭✭✭tommythecat

Yes I definitely wouldn’t be insinuating anything. Just straight out embarrass him that he is recorded entering and walking around your house. Tell him it stops now. End of.

4kwp South East facing PV System. 5.3kwh Weco battery. South Dublin City.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭Auguste Comte

Thoie wrote: »
    There's a 99.9% chance that he's just a nosy fecker. But taking the trouble to learn when the house is empty (particularly as he's a "professional landlord"), and going there repeatedly is just downright weird, El Weirdo.

Would make you wonder would he have a camera or two discreetly installed around "his investment" to keep an eye on his tenants movements.?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭DelBoy Trotter

Would make you wonder would he have a camera or two discreetly installed around "his investment" to keep an eye on his tenants movements.?

I posted this very early on the thread. If he knows that nobody is home (including the dog), it would make me think about the possibility of hidden cameras

Bogwoppit wrote: »
    Asking the LL to change the locks won’t make any difference, they’ll still hold keys to the new locks.

Of course they'll hold a set of keys, that's not the point. Asking for a change of locks is merely an excuse to let the landlord know that cameras are being installed. Do you think they'll let themselves in knowing cameras are set up?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,574 ✭✭✭Bogwoppit

Of course they'll hold a set of keys, that's not the point. Asking for a change of locks is merely an excuse to let the landlord know that cameras are being installed. Do you think they'll let themselves in knowing cameras are set up?

What’s the advantage doing that? Just straight up call the LL out, I don’t understand why people are suggesting the passive aggressive approach, would be a complete waste of time.

What’s the advantage doing that? Just straight up call the LL out, I don’t understand why people are suggesting the passive aggressive approach, would be a complete waste of time.

I couldn't agree more with this post. I don't get it at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭sjb25

Creepy AF id would be absolutely raging I’d be with your husband all guns blazing

what I’d probably do is ring him say listen we knew someone was in the house we set up cameras to bring footage to the gaurds when we realized it’s you we are giving you the chance to explain yourself with a VERY good reason as it is against the terms of the lease as there was no emergency and tell us it won’t happen again or you can explain it to the rtb

Once is bad enough but a few times is just bloody creepy

To put it simply it avoids confrontation and added stress to the op, I'm sure in the situation they're in they already have enough stress.

Both confronting the LL or telling him you're installing cameras tonight is giving him a chance to not do it again. Neither stops him from doing it, both could be effective, he knows he'll be caught doing it again. You just have to pick which suits you best and makes life easier in the circumstances.

To put it simply it avoids confrontation and added stress to the op, I'm sure in the situation they're in they already have enough stress.

The OP can try the passive aggressive approach which may or may not stop the LL entering the house again. Not knowing if it will happen again will add more stress to the OP.

The OP could confront the LL and state the facts that have been shared here and the chances of the LL entering the house again would be a lot smaller than the passive aggressive approach of option number 1

• Registered Users Posts: 610 ✭✭✭JustMe,K

Is it possible to lock the front door from the inside, or keep a key in it to stop it being opened from the outside while using a back entrance for a few days to see if the LL mentions anything and basically drops themselves in it?

gibgodsman wrote: »
    I don't know how the above poster can suggest such a calm approach to something so serious

Not only is he entering your home without your knowledge, he is quite clearly watching your movements in order to check when the best time to be creepy is.

Every serial killer does the same thing....

Go straight to the guards, the lease should be the least of your worries, the safety of your family should be your main worry.

Also, he would have absolutely no chance of kicking you out as you look for legal action as he has in sense defecated on his own lease and you have protection from being evicted due to his own actions

He's definitely a serial killer...

• Advertisement

While it's totally out of order I don't think it's creepy at all like some think.

He is most likely just worried about his property and is wrongly doing unauthorised inspections.

Advertisement