Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Daikin Air to water noise and frost problems

Options
  • 19-11-2019 12:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭

Hi,

Has anyone experience or advice relating to the above?

I know the system goes through a defrost cycle however it seems to have to go through it regularly, its extremely loud and can take 30mins at times. It is also underneath the children's windows and wakes them up which is not ideal at 5 in the morning.

Daikin sell the product as being low/no frost and being very quiet...my experience is the opposite. Its under warranty etc so should be fine but im looking for advice before i go back to the installers. If i had known it was this loud there is no way i would have gone with the system.

It sounds like a propeller engined aeroplane outside the back door basically... is this normal?!

New build, heating and water seem to be working ok.

Thanks for the help.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 96 ✭✭Robert Allen

Frost

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

I have one of these systems also in a new build. In use 3years now and have never noticed much frost.

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭macgabhs

macgabhs wrote: »
    I have one of these systems also in a new build. In use 3years now and have never noticed much frost.

Also noise is generally fine although it does get louder the colder it gets

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Mine is off the garage, so we don't hear it from the house. But even being outside when it's in operation, I don't believe I've ever really felt it was that loud.

What model have you got?

I'd talk to the installers, figure out what schedules it's on and how it's configured. I found they do take some tweaking to get right, for the comfort levels and a water requirements.

Some of them have a Quiet mode as part of the schedule. I haven't had to use, but worth checking with them.

If it's still bad, I think you can get sound attenuation cowl's for some of them:
    https://www.daikin.eu/en_us/products/EKLN-A.html

• Registered Users Posts: 33 Cessee

Hi,

Has anyone experience or advice relating to the above?

I know the system goes through a defrost cycle however it seems to have to go through it regularly, its extremely loud and can take 30mins at times. It is also underneath the children's windows and wakes them up which is not ideal at 5 in the morning.

Daikin sell the product as being low/no frost and being very quiet...my experience is the opposite. Its under warranty etc so should be fine but im looking for advice before i go back to the installers. If i had known it was this loud there is no way i would have gone with the system.

It sounds like a propeller engined aeroplane outside the back door basically... is this normal?!

New build, heating and water seem to be working ok.

Thanks for the help.

Hi, im having the very same problem but with dimplex air to water heat pump. Just wondering if you have solved this issue now. Its causing me sleepless nights 😔

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 1,924 Mod ✭✭✭✭MascotDec85

We had frost issues with our Dimplex heat pump. A 4 way valve was the issue. It meant the until would freeze and the thaw process wouldn’t kick in. It becaume noisy when the fans blades came in contact with the thinking banker of frost.

Might be of help to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭Perez2017

I recently installed dalkin heat pump and I cannot believe how loud the outside unit is. I had to move out of my room and into spare room. I was informed by a friend to put the indoor unit into quiet mode. Will that help does anybody know?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Merrion

How high is the outdoor unit off the ground and what is the surface below it?

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

I have a daikin unit aswell. After looking at the frost on that unit it looks like it is very exposed.

Our one is tucked into a corner and I made a cover for the sides to hide the ugliness of the unit. I didn't cover the fan section front or back obviously but I don't think we've ever had a frost issue. Might be something to consider.
    I don't find it to be particularly noisy at all though even when its going full tilt.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

Also you can change the timing of the defrost cycle and what time it heats the water etc. definitely something worth looking into if its waking the children in the morning. I have my unit heat the water during school/work time. So it doesn't run a whole lot when we are home.

• Advertisement
Advertisement