Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Speed vans

• 19-11-2019 1:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭

Anyone with experience know how long it generally takes to get notice in the post if nabbed by a speed van?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭easyvision

2-3 weeks generally, you have to be quite near them to be caught. I heard they allow you away with 2km over too

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Don199

easyvision wrote: »
    2-3 weeks generally, you have to be quite near them to be caught. I heard they allow you away with 2km over too

10% tolerance I heard? Can they detect around bends?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,817 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Don199 wrote: »
    10% tolerance I heard? Can they detect around bends?

Only if they follow you in reverse.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,803 ✭✭✭✭flazio

10% I think is the Gardaí with a radar gun and would be dependent on other factors such as road conditions, condition of the car, driver behaviour. I've known Gardaí to use 55 in a 50 on top of someone on their phone.

What do you mean?

• Advertisement

I heard it’s only the back of the van that can detect you would that be true?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 890 ✭✭✭Johnny Sausage

has to be wearing his hat too

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

I heard it’s only the back of the van that can detect you would that be true?

You'll be grand. Stop worrying. How the fück do you think it could detect you around a bend?

Effects wrote: »
    You'll be grand. Stop worrying. How the fück do you think it could detect you around a bend?
    I take it they can’t catch you around bends then?😂

• Registered Users Posts: 3,783 ✭✭✭Odelay

Why are they called speed vans? I never seen them going fast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,937 ✭✭✭SmartinMartin

Only if they have the drone up. Was the drone up?

Only if they have the drone up. Was the drone up?

Presuming that was a joke

So in other words, you need to be able to see the van to be caught?

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭dubbrin

So in other words, you need to be able to see the van to be caught?

No, the van needs to see you. Unless you're in a speed van, and he's speeding, so he gets the ticket

• Registered Users Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Effects

The van needs to see you in a certain section of the road.
    It can't look around corners. If you spotted it and braked then you're probably fine.

I asked a cop about the handheld guns during the summer. He let people away up to 58 in a 50 kph zone.
    He also often took a second reading, and if the driver had spotted him and slowed down then he just left it at that.
    The gun only keeps track of the last reading taken anyway.

Effects wrote: »
    The van needs to see you in a certain section of the road.
    It can't look around corners. If you spotted it and braked then you're probably fine.

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

I see the entire M50 going to Safety Camera location from Monday. Considering most of it is 100KM zoned, a bit like shooting fish in a barrel off peak. Will be a good earner for the Gatso crew!

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭easyvision

I see the entire M50 going to Safety Camera location from Monday. Considering most of it is 100KM zoned, a bit like shooting fish in a barrel off peak. Will be a good earner for the Gatso crew!

The coordinates on the Garda page show the port tunnel section from the new roads pdf camera locations up to the start of the M1 so not really thr m50 per say

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Big Wex fan

Map I was looking at showed most of M50. I assume a Gatso van can park anywhere on that route that it can safely.

Advertisement