Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

13 year-old girl critical after Lisnaskea machete attack

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

Nope. Clare Byrne or the correspondent didn't mention the T word.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Found one article that mentioned it was traveller related, below. None of the others mention it at all, its reported as a random machete attack, essentially.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/18/news/irish-news/girl-machete-attack-fermanagh

• Registered Users Posts: 9,971 ✭✭✭normanoffside

Found one article that mentioned it was traveller related, below. None of the others mention it at all, its reported as a random machete attack, essentially.

https://extra.ie/2019/11/18/news/irish-news/girl-machete-attack-fermanagh

A few articles mention the home as being that of a bare knuckle boxer to be fair.
    That’s code word for traveller.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,147 ✭✭✭✭jmayo

You won't hear a f*cking peep out of Pavee Point for the next week. They'll pop up next time a gang of them get thrown out of a pub.

Just like this thread is devoid of the usual suspects that have travellers, amongst other freeloading dodgy types, as one of their pet groups.

Make one derogatory comment, well actually just usually state facts, and watch how many crawl all over the threads.
    Yet not a peep out of them about this sick behaviour.
    bubblypop wrote: »
    ChikiChiki wrote: »
    I know that happened NI but your right. Travellers have been getting away with mayhem here for years.

Our it must be said awful incompetent police force don't bother with them.

From Sulky racing, to bare knuckle street fighting to rural robberies, they are lawless and feel invincible.

And yet we hear that travellers have a disproportionate amount of their population in prison.
    So, seems like they do actually get arrested & convicted?

Is that all you can add to this topic.

I suppose we should give you some kudos for being the only one to actually comment on this thread, even if it was to resort to the usual playbook of just nitpicking. :rolleyes:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,015 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

jmayo wrote: »
    Just like this thread is devoid of the usual suspects that have travellers, amongst other freeloading dodgy types, as one of their pet groups.

Make one derogatory comment, well actually just usually state facts, and watch how many crawl all over the threads.
    Yet not a peep out of them about this sick behaviour.

Is that all you can add to this topic.

I suppose we should give you some kudos for being the only one to actually comment on this thread, even if it was to resort to the usual playbook of just nitpicking. :rolleyes:

What do you want, people to defend them?
    The 'logic' that these scumbags being Travelers means all Travelers are scumbags is still wrong as it is with any group IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,192 ✭✭✭TeaBagMania

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

This family are one of the most violent Traveller families you will come across. Notorious for violence. I worked with a lot of traveller kids in Limerick, and knew a few of these lads from Ennis when they were younger. Even the hardened travellers not involved in any feud didn't like them. No decent honest men amongst them. Very quick to the Stanley blade and the machete.

Absolutely f*cking disgusting this was, but the whole lot of them are extremely violent. There seems to be zero interest in any of this until such point that it will spill over to the child of a settled person who 'matters'.

These fellas are utter scum. Behind all these violent men there are honest decent travellers intimidated and living in fear. Little to no education or skillset to deal with the hand life dealt them. They are the victims here too. You only ever hear of the traveller causing hassle, you never hear of the others.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,452 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

myshirt wrote: »
    This family are one of the most violent Traveller families you will come across. Notorious for violence. I worked with a lot of traveller kids in Limerick, and knew a few of these lads from Ennis when they were younger. Even the hardened travellers not involved in any feud didn't like them. No decent honest men amongst them. Very quick to the Stanley blade and the machete.

Absolutely f*cking disgusting this was, but the whole lot of them are extremely violent. There seems to be zero interest in any of this until such point that it will spill over to the child of a settled person who 'matters'.

These fellas are utter scum. Behind all these violent men there are honest decent travellers intimidated and living in fear. Little to no education or skillset to deal with the hand life dealt them. They are the victims here too. You only ever hear of the traveller causing hassle, you never hear of the others.

Going by the videos that the father of this girl has up, a life if torment abuse and torture were his upbringing.

They are their own victims as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

Dubrangan wrote:
    A 13 year-old girl I in a critical condition and a 41 year-old woman is also injured after a gang of men forced their way into a house in Lisnaskea in Co. Fermanagh last night and stabbed them with machetes.

Saw the 2 video clips,this will generate more hurt n harm in the traveller world,mind boggles how they keep at it,feud feud feuding,when young this never went on in that community,they are a disgrace,and that little girl will grow up with hatred in her head,and do it goes on,know it sounds bad ,but I've given up on the whole lot of them- and as for fuc**ng paveee point they're worse than a dose of the pox

• Registered Users Posts: 8,655 ✭✭✭corks finest

lawred2 wrote:
    Someone went about recording this? And then published it?

2 videos actually

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

2 videos actually

Three..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

73399725_176627270145406_8939044484600037376_o.jpg?_nc_cat=101&_nc_oc=AQlj__CGEdiIWwcbSa9-0msov2m-bCOHARPqAnSikL_JrMz22t0FTOzCw7iYqwoGhH8&_nc_ht=scontent-dub4-1.xx&oh=b55a334714f646634b25948538107d7c&oe=5E57457C

It's uplifting to know that, thanks to the efforts of a Senator with the IQ of a yogurt tub, my kids will soon be learning all about Traveller Culture as part of the revised Irish History syllabus.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Ridiculous how that 13 year old will be able to stay in the 'parents' care, despite them recording her and shouting on facebook live, for ages waiting on the ambulance, rather than comforting her.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Fiery mutant

The 'logic' that these scumbags being Travelers means all Travelers are scumbags is still wrong as it is with any group IMO.

Actually no. The ‘logic’ part is where we can all tell what members of society committed this horrible act without being told. This kind of scumbaggery is so common within the traveller community, it hardly raises an eyelid now, to the point where dopes like [redacted] actually come on and defend this ****show.

How any civilised member of society can defend these clowns is beyond me.

We should defend our way of life to an extent that any attempt on it is crushed, so that any adversary will never make such an attempt in the future.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,765 ✭✭✭One More Toy

Is it big Joe Joyce's daughter is the mother?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 321 ✭✭171170

Actually no. The ‘logic’ part is where we can all tell what members of society committed this horrible act without being told. This kind of scumbaggery is so common within the traveller community, it hardly raises an eyelid now, to the point where dopes like [redacted] actually come on and defend this ****show.

How any civilised member of society can defend these clowns is beyond me.

That's racist! Just because Matt can read and write and use a computer is no reason to accuse him of being civilised.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,121 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

The ****in size of that telly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,543 ✭✭✭Dante7

At what percentage of criminality would you accept that there is an issue with Traveller culture? 10%, 20% doesn't seem to be an issue. If it hit 50%, would that ring alarm bells? Or is there any number?

Everything about this case highlights a problem with Traveller culture. From the young teenage girls being encouraged to inflict violence against a special needs woman, to a young girl getting machetes while her family seem more concerned about making YouTube videos with the aim of furthering a feud.

Their culture is disgusting and has no place in modern society. They will not change while we placate them and give credence to idea that problem is that we call them knackers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,118 ✭✭✭Lackey

Hopefully a good old fashioned bare knuckle fight can sort this all out.

When the assault of the woman by the children was put up on youtube
    it was offered to be settled by the mans relation by their two sons in a bare knuckle match in N.I., in a retaliation youtube video.
    guessing he went for the auld machete attack instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭fawlty682

It’s our culture Boss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,869 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

Where do you even start with these? Where do you even ****ing start?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

Is it big Joe Joyce's daughter is the mother?

And in all likelihood an aunt and a cousin too.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

I wonder if Matt Cooper will have the traveller comedian fella back on this evening to talk about this after he was on discussing those tweets the other day?
    How come when one of the traveller representatives goes on TV or radio it's always the same line of "sure it's only a minority" yet one look on YouTube gives you reams of videos of threats and violence.

Well the only mention of the incident was what was said in the 6 o clock bulletin on the show.
    A whole debate about education on traveller culture etc last Thursday or Friday after a few misjudged tweets a decade ago yet silence after a girl was hit with a machete.

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

GreeBo wrote: »
    The ****in size of that telly

Sometimes its not size of the telly that makes the difference ;) Sometimes its the content... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭ampleforth

canonball5 wrote: »
    Us settled, law abiding, tax paying folk ought to be ashamed of ourselves. This poor disadvantaged minority are merely practicing their cultural norms.

'monkey see, monkey do' could be called a 'culture' ... but that is like calling a big mac a 'lifestyle diet' :D

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Let's be honest - who originally looked at the title of this thread - and without even reading the first post didn't think it was "those who travel"?

I'd say 99.99% didn't even need to read the OP.

Everyone knows.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,512 ✭✭✭Working class heroes

Let's be honest - who originally looked at the title of this thread - and without even reading the first post didn't think it was "those who travel"?

I'd say 99.99% didn't even need to read the OP.

Everyone knows.

That post is about as accurate as your weather forecasts.

Racism is now hiding behind the cloak of Community activism.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,715 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

Apologies, but I was attending to one of our regular re-regs and did not realise they has started this thread, which became collateral damage. I've just re-instated the opening post which brings the thread back to life (not the OP though, who remains permabanned until their next incarnation)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 14,012 Mod ✭✭✭✭pc7

The whole incident is horrendous, I can't even get my head around people attacking children with machetes. I also have to say if someone in my circle sent me a WhatsApp video of these attacks they'd be removed, wtaf. Poor girl, really hope she recovers, but where too after this for her that is safe?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,280 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Nobody is saying that all Travellers are scumbags.

Rather, people are pointing to significant issues with Traveller culture. These include, but are not limited to, tolerance of spousal abuse, removal of females from formal education, consanguineous marriage, dispute resolution through violence etc. All of these are much more prevalent and tolerated in Traveller culture than in settled culture. That is wrong.

I have previously asked on other threads about positive aspects of Traveller culture. The only persistent response relates to promoting family way of life, but when that includes beating your wife and marrying your uneducated daughter off at 16, I don't see the positive aspects of Traveller family culture.

Advertisement