Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should log cabins be legal to live in??

Options

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,021 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Bdjsjsjs wrote: »
    If you are going to rudely go after someone you might as well attack someone for what they communicate not what you think think they are communicating.

So still even more vacuous posts.

Until you actually post something of merit, with detail and evidence to back up your points, then personally I'm not going to engage with you. What you are doing to this thread is tantamount of "seagulling".

If you want to advocate for log cabins as being acceptable for long term habitation in Ireland, please show by evidential proof how they comply with Irish building regulations.

If you cannot, then why post?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,541 ✭✭✭Dudda

whats the craic with building regs and the age of a house? like if there was a derelict cottage for sale, (say built before any regulations came in) roof and windows still intact (or not, would it make a difference?) what standards would it need to meet to be 'legal' to live in?
    If the house was derelict for a while (don't know the time without looking it up but a guess it's 5 years) then you need planning permission to turn it back to a habitat property.
    Option A - It has a roof
    If it has a roof and windows and isn't in that bad a condition then it's probably habitable. You'll need planning permission for any derelict property and you'll probably need to upgrade the septic tank to new regulation or get an engineers report to prove it's in good working order. You'll need to get an electrical connection reestablished. If you don't go changing that much with the cottage it's fairly straight forward.
    Option B - No roof
    This is uninhabitable currently. You'll need planning permission to make it habitable as per option A but as it's a cottage in the countryside and it's not a habitable house you may need to prove housing need in the local area. As it needs a new roof the building regulations kick in particularly part L which is the new insulation regulations as you'll most likely go over the 20% of the external fabric with the roof. This means you'll have to upgrade everything. The planning will probably hit you for a new septic tank to meet current regulations too which could be expensive rather than keeping the existing. With no roof you're probably looking at moving some internal walls which may have collapsed. These need to be to current regulations including structure, fire, noise, etc.

Option C - Protected Structure
    A lot more complicated. Depends on if the condition, what level of protected status, etc.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

If you are going to rudely go after someone you might as well attack someone for what they communicate not what you think think they are communicating.

And we’ll leave there thanks. Back on topic, or thread will be closed. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭lalababa

kceire wrote: »
    Construction timber, like floor joists, roof rafters and vertical timber frame houses are CE marked, comply with IS440 which makes them acceptable in the construction industry.

Log cabins cannot achieve this standard.

So if I had 600mm of CE marked construction timber complying with IS440 as a wall I would be ok for parts A,B,C,D,E & L?? I could bolt up 12 2*9's to give me the 600mm to be compliant with u-values. Or am I missing something...like would the bolts have to be tested at NASA.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,460 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lalababa wrote: »
    So if I had 600mm of CE marked construction timber complying with IS440 as a wall I would be ok for parts A,B,C,D,E & L?? I could bolt up 12 2*9's to give me the 600mm to be compliant with u-values. Or am I missing something...like would the bolts have to be tested at NASA.

IS440 is the guidance and it states NSAI Standard registration.
    You have to be able to stand over the system, not just an individual element.

Its why any qualified Carpenter cannot just erect a timber stick building and declare it a timber frame and compliant.

Your best bet is to call one of the Registered Timber frame Companies in Ireland and get a price for a compliant structure in the dimensions you require.

• Advertisement

where is this 600mm thickness coming from?

• Registered Users Posts: 31,010 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

sydthebeat wrote: »
    where is this 600mm thickness coming from?
    I assume it's the thickness of a hypothetical solid timber wall that would meet required uvalues.

Lumen wrote: »
    I assume it's the thickness of a hypothetical solid timber wall that would meet required uvalues.

Hummmm but the poster has been told twice that that u value wouldn't comply.

And now that NZEB will apply, it makes it even harder to comply.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 82 ✭✭Bdjsjsjs

Hummmm but the poster has been told twice that that u value wouldn't comply.

And now that NZEB will apply, it makes it even harder to comply.

But given the right specs it would comply.

But given the right specs it would comply.

The right specs are already available.

They cost on average €150 per sq ft for new builds.

They are not garden sheds.

• Advertisement

The right specs are already available.

They cost on average €150 per sq ft for new builds.

They are not garden sheds.
    So basically

sydthebeat:"The 2/3 mainstream ways that houses are built in this country are the only ways houses can ever be built, ignore innovation in building science, now stfu"

Sorry, I thought 600mm would comply 'coz it has a u-value of less than .21. somebody on this thread said that was the minimum u-value required according to building reg.s.

But then somebody else posted that .21 was non compliant and maybe you'd be looking at more like .15 and 800mm.
    I wonder if you devised a system such as maybe 1/2" of treated compliant construction timber cladding on the outside ,12" of compliant construction timber ('coz logs are non compliant) and like 10" of compliant insulation on the inside, with a 1/2" compliant construction timber cladding inside .. like you know make a wall out of several compliant elements sort of thing.
    Would that satisfy parts A,B,C,D,E and ...er L?
    Like if every element is fire compliant , then every element should probably have a fire compliance value, same with insulative value. So if you worked out a sum of compliance values to equal or exceed other compliant building systems you'd be compliant?
    All that said though I'd really like the look of log house or a cob house.
    Maybe I should just go live in Finland or Cornwall.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,823 ✭✭✭tea and coffee

Those cabins that some sheds manufacturers - steel or wood or "home office" type ones (but actually are 1 or 2 bedrooms) of about 20 sq m... are they legal?
    And yes I have read through the thread and find that much has been snipped, so I'm finding it difficult to see the definition of a long cabin... is the answer what I have described Above? If so, How are they allowed sell them as "2 bed chalet " or 10 x 6 m 2 bed room house or "2 bed residential house"
    If they don't comply with building regs how can they sell them?!
    As for planning, I guess that is the purchasers issue.

Those cabins that some sheds manufacturers - steel or wood or "home office" type ones (but actually are 1 or 2 bedrooms) of about 20 sq m... are they legal?
    And yes I have read through the thread and find that much has been snipped, so I'm finding it difficult to see the definition of a long cabin... is the answer what I have described Above? If so, How are they allowed sell them as "2 bed chalet " or 10 x 6 m 2 bed room house or "2 bed residential house"
    If they don't comply with building regs how can they sell them?!
    As for planning, I guess that is the purchasers issue.

Yera ,you can sell a dustbin and call it a house. Just don't mention that it is compliant with habitational planning reg.s🙂 Almost everything is legal -shed/office/manden etc. But only compliant erections are legal to live in. I.e. a dwelling . Planning and building regulations compliant.

As for log cabins/houses, according to the experts on this thread, they can NEVER be compliant until such time as a log cabin/house building system has been tested (I think by a lab somewhere in Austria was it) and approved.
    So whomever wants to go about it can jolly well trot on with it. They will be a trailblazer of some repute.
    It's the same auld story from the same auld shysters. Planning of any sort in this country is a one size fits all f**k up. Is it really any surprise?

So basically

sydthebeat:"The 2/3 mainstream ways that houses are built in this country are the only ways houses can ever be built, ignore innovation in building science, now stfu"

So now your resorting to telling straight out lies???

Wow.

Sorry, I thought 600mm would comply 'coz it has a u-value of less than .21. somebody on this thread said that was the minimum u-value required according to building reg.s.

???

It was YOU who claimed that 600mm would comply because that gave a u value of 0.21.

But you were told twice after that, that that u value would not comply because that's a backstop value, not a minimum goal to reach.

Its VERY VERY simple to understand. I seriously cannot understand why people have such difficulty grasping this.

If you want to live in a log cabin, you need to prove that the cabin complies with all building regulations. In order to do this you need to get many aspects of the build tested and certified by relevant certification bodies. This generally could be NSAI but there are alternatives too.

Once you have all those aspects tested and certified that they are suitable for use... Then brilliant!! You can move in your log home.

The problem is, and the log cabin Manufacturers know this damn well... Is that this testing is rigorous and expensive.

THEY will not go to this expense as providers, probably as they know their systems wont comply.... So why should ye as individual end users go to that expense?? You are absolutely NOT going to get a cheaper home by going down that route.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,476 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Of course they should be legal, once they meet or exceed current building regs.

Read this,
    https://www.housing.gov.ie/housing/building-standards/TGD-part-D-materials-and-workmanship/technical-guidance-documents

If you use it as a shed, there fine

If you use them as habitable accommodation ie a bedroom there illegal

Don’t confuse planning with building regs

???

It was YOU who claimed that 600mm would comply because that gave a u value of 0.21.

But you were told twice after that, that that u value would not comply because that's a backstop value, not a minimum goal to reach.

Its VERY VERY simple to understand. I seriously cannot understand why people have such difficulty grasping this.

If you want to live in a log cabin, you need to prove that the cabin complies with all building regulations. In order to do this you need to get many aspects of the build tested and certified by relevant certification bodies. This generally could be NSAI but there are alternatives too.

Once you have all those aspects tested and certified that they are suitable for use... Then brilliant!! You can move in your log home.

The problem is, and the log cabin Manufacturers know this damn well... Is that this testing is rigorous and expensive.

THEY will not go to this expense as providers, probably as they know their systems wont comply.... So why should ye as individual end users go to that expense?? You are absolutely NOT going to get a cheaper home by going down that route.

I've bought an axe and I've booked my tickets to Finland. Log habitual structures here we come!
    Twas always my backstop position.

• Advertisement

Well if you don't like the laws in this country... Don't let the door hit you....

and with the habitual structures of Finland on the horizon

We’ll leave it there

Thanks

Well if you don't like the laws in this country... Don't let the door hit you....
    Bad laws

Bad laws

No actually.

In relation to our European partners we actually have very robust building regulations.

Anyone who thinks they are bad only thinks so because they want to try to circumvent them.

No actually.

In relation to our European partners we actually have very robust building regulations.

Anyone who thinks they are bad only thinks so because they want to try to circumvent them.

I think they are bad. I have many posts here discussing the matter and recommending people not to circumvent them. So you are clueless. Can I have an apology now for your bs claiming I am trying to break the law?

I think they are bad. I have many posts here discussing the matter and recommending people not to circumvent them. So you are clueless. Can I have an apology now for your bs claiming I am trying to break the law?

:D

we're still waiting for you to prove your assertion
    Bdjsjsjs wrote:
    Well built traditional style log cabins are not passive level but they would be more airtight, secure and fire proof than a lot of the Irish housing stock

you were asked over a month ago to prove this... but tumble weeds since...

even your attempts at telling lies here were p!ss poor :D

:D

we're still waiting for you to prove your assertion

you were asked over a month ago to prove this... but tumble weeds since...

even your attempts at telling lies here were p!ss poor :D

The same poster over in A&P claiming that people not being allowed to convert out sheds to air bnb is the cause of the housing crisis :)

kceire wrote: »
    The same poster over in A&P claiming that people not being allowed to convert out sheds to air bnb is the cause of the housing crisis :)
    I don't mean to patronising but we cant escape economics. the cost of providing accommodation is directly linked to abundance of new accommodation being supplied. I really doubt when pressed that you would disagree with this.

I don't mean to patronising but we cant escape economics. the cost of providing accommodation is directly linked to abundance of new accommodation being supplied. I really doubt when pressed that you would disagree with this.

You do realise conversion to Airbnb doesn’t help the housing crisis.
    Also, many empty houses, the problem is people and our social system system that allows social tenants to pick and choose houses that they want.

• Advertisement

...... the cost of providing accommodation is directly linked to abundance of new accommodation being supplied.......

thats a tenuous connection at best.

the cost of providing accommodation is linked to labour costs, material costs, land costs, tax and levy rates... and other lesser factors

the "abundance of new accommodation supplied" only affects one of these factors .. namely labour costs, in that IF labour supply is limited, labour costs increase.
    If labour supply rises to match demand, then that factors doesnt affect cost to provide accommodation

materials costs, land costs, taxes and levies are not affected by the supply rate of new accommodation onto the market.

ive already given my opinion as to the main problem here

Advertisement