Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

End to homelessness group on Facebook

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭kenmm

Look it pisses me off as much as the next person to see how people who can clearly work choose not to and are trying to get “the free house”
    But I’m starting to think it’s not as common as some people on this forum make out..

Exactly - its very easy to buy into the "They are all scroungers" mentality. Of course the system will have some scammers, but way not as many as made it.

There are far, far more people in complete dire, desperate states that need help for many, many reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

The biggest issue is there are way to many charities and it's amazing many don't seem to realise these are big business and pat their CEO nice sums of money and others too.

Look at the amount caught scamming, it's always forgotten.

The government actually gives out huge sums to a lot of these charities too but wages take up a huge amount of the money coming in.

This ^^^^^ All day long...

"In 2016, a total of €96,254,326 million was spent on providing services for persons who are homeless across the Dublin Region".

The breakdown is here : https://www.homelessdublin.ie/content/files/Public-Expenditure-on-Homeless-Service-Provision-2016.pdf

The amount of money wasted on administration is nuts, while each individual 'charity' benefits from these grants. Bear in mind as well that this is just Government money. Individual fundraising efforts probably raise the same again. The whole lot needs to be piled under one umbrella and re-assessed. One body with various branches catering to different type needs. Familes, Single Men / Women, People that need addiction services etc.

Homelessness isn't the only problem here, the spiders web of different charities and agencies only complicates things and wastes funds that could be better allocated towards actual housing units themselves.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

What I can't understand are the people who are not working and are still wanting to live in say Dublin.
    If I ended up homeless and wasn't ill, I'm going to say its most likely because I lost my job. I'd take a council house in f*cking Leitrim and throw bread rolls together in the local deli while getting my life back together rather than living in a hostel/hotel just to stay in Dublin.

Even with kids, better to take them out of school in Dublin where they are living in a hotel and into a house and new school elsewhere in Ireland, give them stability and a normal life. Comfortable housing and schooling for your children should be your top f*cking priority. Not sitting round waiting for a house in Dublin in the area of your choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Look it pisses me off as much as the next person to see how people who can clearly work choose not to and are trying to get “the free house”
    But I’m starting to think it’s not as common as some people on this forum make out. There’s students and people renting rooms out going to food shelters at night in Dublin City because they can’t afford food. I seen today in O’Connell street about 30 people surrounding a charity worker handing out doughnuts it was pretty grim. The people grabbing the doughnuts just gave me this overwhelming sad feeling. It’s tough out there. I think we need to be more aware of the issues around us at the moment and maybe a protest for the government to start taking more action is not such a bad thing and start incentivising LL’s. We need to keep the gov on their toes. I’ve had the comfort of always having a roof over my head but i cant imagine having nowhere to go, it must be terrifying and for the kids. Especially for the average working joe it’s so close for any single person to become homeless and struggle to get a place to live or am I just a sucker for now thinking this way ?
    I literally just did a complete u-turn lately on what I thought about the homeless problem. I did think it was all social welfare sponges but I think I may have spent too long on certain threads on this forum.

I know, and I am trying to stay mindful of all those that are students, in employment, that genuinely tried to fund their own housing first but have failed, for whatever reason, be it wages, or rent increases.

Basically what I'm trying to say is how can we feel sorry for the other groups, the sponges.

Absolutely a protest for the government to take more action is what is needed. In all aspects, but the Facebook group seems to be geared towards 'this is unfair, give us more free housing'

• Registered Users Posts: 26,282 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What I can't understand are the people who are not working and are still wanting to live in say Dublin.
    If I ended up homeless and wasn't ill, I'm going to say its most likely because I lost my job. I'd take a council house in f*cking Leitrim and throw bread rolls together in the local deli while getting my life back together rather than living in a hostel/hotel just to stay in Dublin.

Even with kids, better to take them out of school in Dublin where they are living in a hotel and into a house and new school elsewhere in Ireland, give them stability and a normal life. Comfortable housing and schooling for your children should be your top f*cking priority. Not sitting round waiting for a house in Dublin in the area of your choice.

The difference for the most part is, these people have never worked, have no intention of working, have been on the housing list since they were 18 and are digging their heels in because they know that if they hold on a little longer theres a brand spanking new A rated property as their 4eva home. After we 'solve' all this id give it another 15-20 years , a boom will come back, some of these people will be sitting on some inherritance money from when their ma and da (now deceased) bought out their council house, this new generation will be screaming for the options to own their own homes at a pittance and sell them for big gains.

• Advertisement

Absolutely, waiting around for years in the travelodge because you 'need' a three bed house down the road from mammy, for you and your three kids.

Any 'normal' person, would go or do whatever it takes. Move to the sticks, uproot the children and as you say, scrub toilets, as long as they have a roof and are fed..

Instead of refusing to move anywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,569 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Tony EH wrote: »
    I don't know the "like for like" numbers. Neither do you.

That's not what I'm getting at either. The point, which has flown over your head, is that being homeless doesn't just mean sleeping rough, neither in Ireland, the UK or many other countries.

Tony, none of it has flown over my head.
    You are pulling parts of my posts without context, fair enough ;)

The numbers are collated in Ireland in a manner that is particularly advantageous to those claiming a "higher" number.
    This is in part due to significant lobbying from the charity sector, and further to that as a hangover from the criteria introduced as part of the ending Irish homeless campaign from the late 90's early 00's which was undertaken at a time when we were really close to eliminating homelessness.

A change in the law, the elimination of bedsit and multiple occupancy units and the crash put paid to that.

I'm quite happy to discuss the ins and outs of statistical variance and comparators if you want?
    But suffice it to say, the number presented in Ireland is whether it be 100 or 10000, far too high.

The premise of comparing us in a poor light to other European countries was raised by the OP, we are far better than all bar Switzerland, Norway and Finland IMO and IME.
    That doesn't mean we stop and let the numbers grow, out system is broken, we need to address that.
    We can't however, reliably use anything other than rough sleepers as a reliable comparison of homelessness with any other country as there is too much variability in how those in other accomodation are counted internationally.

• Registered Users Posts: 461 ✭✭afterglow

What is the average industrial wage in Ireland compared to our peers?

The high taxes that eat in to our high wages a lot of that is going in to the welfare system.

We need lower taxes and less expenditure.

Hi Kermit
    I do not wish to cause offence here, but what it sounds like you're suggesting is that putting money into social welfare, should be cut?
    Yes, undoubtedly, as everywhere, there are people who exploit the welfare system, but there are also genuine cases
    It's unfair that just because tom and mary keep having kids, in the hope that the council will give them a house if they complain enough about it, that everyone, even the genuine cases, people that can't work because of illness disability etc, should be punished. I know, that's not what you said btw, but if rates of tax, and with it, social welfare expenditure go down, then the genuine cases get punished because of the freeloaders and spungebobs.

I dont think many people are 'sitting around waiting'. I am also not sure other local areas welcome have allocation to take homeless.

The theory of just pick yourself up and dust yourself down is all very good - but people stuck in poverty (and let assume some at least didn't chose this) are there for reasons that are not easily solved. There could be addiction issues, debt, mental illness, physical illness or most likely a combination of the above, once snowballing into another.

Someone else posted about homelessness and addiction - if your life went down the sh!tter, and you felt you had absolutely no choice - I mean your whole world is closing in on you, you have lost all confidence, are too embarrassed to tell anyone and you have no where to turn. Havent had a proper wash or homecooked meal for days. No where to keep possessions etc - can you tell me that with certainty you wouldnt be tempted to drink or worse to escape for a short while? I dont think anyone could say that until it happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,010 ✭✭✭kildare lad

banie01 wrote: »
    It's not that clear cut.
    I know people who are clean, employed and qualified who are priced out of where they want to live.

Yes but are they living on the street in sleeping bags.. that's what I'd class someone as homeless

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,076 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

"In 2016, a total of €96,254,326 million was spent on providing services for persons who are homeless across the Dublin Region".
    I'm fairly sure that we didn't spend that amount on homelessness in the Dublin region in 2016 (or any other year)!

Absolutely, waiting around for years in the travelodge because you 'need' a three bed house down the road from mammy, for you and your three kids.
    Instead of refusing to move anywhere.

Who are these people? Genuinely - can anyone provide any facts on this. I would be curious to know.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,001 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Tony, none of it has flown over my head.
    You are pulling parts of my posts without context, fair enough ;)

The numbers are collated in Ireland in a manner that is particularly advantageous to those claiming a "higher" number.
    This is in part due to significant lobbying from the charity sector, and further to that as a hangover from the criteria introduced as part of the ending Irish homeless campaign from the late 90's early 00's which was undertaken at a time when we were really close to eliminating homelessness.

A change in the law, the elimination of bedsit and multiple occupancy units and the crash put paid to that.

I'm quite happy to discuss the ins and outs of statistical variance and comparators if you want?
    But suffice it to say, the number presented in Ireland is whether it be 100 or 10000, far too high.

The premise of comparing us in a poor light to other European countries was raised by the OP, we are far better than all bar Switzerland, Norway and Finland IMO and IME.
    That doesn't mean we stop and let the numbers grow, out system is broken, we need to address that.
    We can't however, reliably use anything other than rough sleepers as a reliable comparison of homelessness with any other country as there is too much variability in how those in other accomodation are counted internationally.

Whether it's "far too high" or not, in not really the point. The issue is that we have a problem and it's getting worse, with a government that is ideologically opposed to doing anything to realistically address said problem.

When you see tents popping up in public parks, this problem should become obvious to everyone with a set of eyes. Our current situation may be "better" than some other countries, but it is still a serious and, more importantly, growing one that nobody seems to have the political will to tackle. It certainly is nothing to pat ourselves on the back for.

Now, we could "waffle" on all day and night trading stats, that we can trawl the web for - which more than likely wouldn't reflect the reality of homelessness in any country because the data gathering leaves a lot to be desired. But, that doesn't and won't address the fundamental causes that are leading to increased homelessness, not just here in Ireland, but across many countries.

The fact that merely putting a roof over one's head is getting more and more difficult to achieve, and not only that, it's becoming something that is getting normalised throughout the western world, as basic property has become out of reach for so many people, is something that needs confronting. Without that confrontation, we can expect to see homelessness grow into a worse state than it is currently.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,219 ✭✭✭KaneToad

kenmm wrote: »
    Who are these people? Genuinely - can anyone provide any facts on this. I would be curious to know.

https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/homeless-campaigner-erica-refused-two-house-offers-34981951.html

Tony EH wrote: »
    Whether it's "far too high" or not, in not really the point. The issue is that we have a problem and it's getting worse, with a government that is ideologically opposed to doing anything to realistically address said problem.

Hence why in my 1st post on this thread I proposed elimination of HAP and redirecting those funds into a bond funded building scheme with the HAP money redirected to capital payments.
    The leeching of @1bln a year from the economy whilst not increasing housing supply, and providing an artificial floor to market rates is unsustainable and a gross misuse of significant funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,001 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Hence why in my 1st post on this thread I proposed elimination of HAP and redirecting those funds into a bond funded building scheme with the HAP money redirected to capital payments.
    The leeching of @1bln a year from the economy whilst not increasing housing supply, and providing an artificial floor to market rates is unsustainable and a gross misuse of significant funds.

HAP is just money that goes into the pockets of private landlords. It's a perfect example of the type of thinking that governments, such as we presently have, are capable of. Completely insufficient. But they, or their followers, don't care.

I'm loath to say it, but what we "need" is for the bubble to burst, again, and for us to put in some serious regulations regarding mortgage lending and a realistic approach to building affordable housing that doesn't screw people over.

Without that, we'll just see this get worse and worse, but we're too far into Bubble 2.0 now for anything to be done that will remedy the out of control nature of our housing disaster. We really are neck deep in a dreadful quagmire.

I worked frontline local authority housing for several years- during the boom and during the worst of the downturn.

in the county i was in, the housing list ran at about 1000 in that time, if i recall correctly.

this number was split down fairly predictable lines

- single people (mainly pissheads) only on the list to continue to be eligible for the rent supplement
    - low income/no income families, usually one parent a carer for the other, or travellers
    - single mothers who were usually known to be with the daddy but happy to pretend the children were immaculately conceived

the proportion of the people i met working or studying was maybe one in five or thereabouts.

the proportion down as unfit to work but either through a fondness for drink or because they had a doctor who wasn't bothered arguing it with them, one in three or thereabouts

the proportion simply not working and never gonna look, about half

this was at full employment.

tbf it changed a bit as things worsened, but when i hear people speculate that the majority of people 'homeless' or on the long-term housing list waiting for their number to come up are somehow trapped in a situation that we should all be helping them out of, i can only say that my experience is that most of em really do just want a free forever house and are shameless about it, and a lot of the rest dont care too much as long as someone is paying their rent and bills so they never have to lift their arse bar to fart

all that said, i do think that the only thing that the government can do is large scale capital intervention- building huge amounts of homes to standard, well serviced by public transport.

i dont agree, from the above professional experience and through lived experience, that mixed housing is any ideal to aim for.

the actual homeless -rough sleepers- have mental health or addiction needs and we really need to draw the line there and not pretend that accommodation is their primary route to being off the streets.

housing for the never-works should be separate for a whole host of reasons, but you could accurately guess all of them if you hadnt a halo put on the occupants.

why this should be in city centre locations is beyond me. when somebody contributes nothing to the state, they shouldnt be first in any priority queues.

housing for people who are working but at a lower income, no problem having that in mixed areas, but either the qualifying eligibility bands for this should be relaxed hugely or the government should be providing local authority mortgages or a deposit guarantee.

as pointed out above, the amount it would cost to service a bond raised for the above purpose is well within budget when set against the money it takes to provide rented/emergency accommodation as is.

thats not the issue.

building a large amount of houses is a non-runner because it would take precisely this dead-weight cash out of the pockets of landlords or agents, all of whom vote and/or contribute to party funds.

building large amounts of housing would meet demand. house prices for existing stock would fall to sane levels. thats another huge tranche of votes ****ed- probably half the country own property and see it as their right to make a killing on it once they have the mortgage paid, or sell up, or rent it out and move to benidorm- whatever.

the banks, jesus. can you imagine what would happen our entire system, again, if the government actually started to bring down house prices, again? midnight calls to the ministers, i reckon.

the irish will take three generations to start to see housing as a service and not an investment. its probably due to what the brits done us us, i dunno.

the underlying causes of our current situation are intimately tied at each level of our society to the type of callow fecklessness and indigence, greed and mendacity, cute-hoorism and short-termism that defines us as a nation.

tis our land, tadhg. tis our land.

1. eradicate the idea of a forever home from social housing. its thatcherite, toxic and counterproductive
    2. eradicate the hope-for-the-best-in-people ideolism of mixed housing. social housing shouldnt be the match of what people work hard to get and shouldnt be in better locations than what working families can afford.
    3. destroy the concept of property as a retirement investment. huge non-occupancy taxes. cripple land bankers so that their grandchildren wince. income from non-primary residence taxed at double the current rate. have some extra money? want a return on it? go talk to geico, we have a property crisis here and your demand isnt welcome.
    4. rigid enforcement of building and planning standards, but the latter to be reworked totally to eradicate the ability of 'concerned citizens', or groups such as an taisce, to object or block to anything that has passed those standards. double the height of the dublin skyline.

now, who wants to see the majority of the above happen? very few people, in reality.

fixing housing would break the country. thats why it wont happen.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

The only way to stop homeless people having more children is stop giving parents money to have children.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

CosmicFool wrote: »
    The only way to stop homeless people having more children is stop giving parents money to have children.

It's so obvious yet for some reason action is never taken on it.

Cap it at 2 children for every mother/father.

It would solve so many social issues at a stroke.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

Feel free to go to each countries relevant government department website and it will outline their statistical criteria.
    There is no set formula and many countries with less exuberant charity sectors present very different criteria.

Surely before you would claim that there is an equivalence in the international homelessness rates, you would at least ensure that the data is all measures in the same basis?

Rather than making broad statistical claims, that when actually compared like for like are meaningless?

You have a strange eye for detail, not noticing 7000 rough sleepers in Berlin?
    But automatically assuming that the 10-15 you passed near Henry st are indicative of Ireland having a far worse problem?

It's not often I'm ever on a thread where I find myself clicking like on one of Eric Cartman's posts...
    Yet you lowered me to that.

You have started from a flawed thesis, you need to defend why your numbers are right.
    You need to defend the equivalence you claim between the international rates, not ask "how do we know?"

You’re the one saying we have different criteria and I’m using stats straight from wikipedia which is the only comparison I have right now.

I’m not the one claiming that we measure homelessness different from everyone else in the whole world. This is all you sir, I think you’ll find you are the one who should be providing the proof that we have less rough sleepers than most countries as you seem to have a problem with the numbers.
    The fact you think “liking” another posters comment is lowering yourself doesn’t say much. You should consider attacking the posts and not the posters as I believe those the rules.
    And unfortunately you cannot like a post but you can thank it. Maybe that’s what you meant ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,268 ✭✭✭twowheelsonly

I'm fairly sure that we didn't spend that amount on homelessness in the Dublin region in 2016 (or any other year)!

Well the figure comes from Dublin City Councils own reports (DHPCLG / Dublin City Council Protocol Agreement - Financial Report 2016, Year ending 31 December 2016) so I'd have no reason to doubt it. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭Bigmac1euro

1. eradicate the idea of a forever home from social housing. its thatcherite, toxic and counterproductive
    2. eradicate the hope-for-the-best-in-people ideolism of mixed housing. social housing shouldnt be the match of what people work hard to get and shouldnt be in better locations than what working families can afford.
    3. destroy the concept of property as a retirement investment. huge non-occupancy taxes. cripple land bankers so that their grandchildren wince. income from non-primary residence taxed at double the current rate. have some extra money? want a return on it? go talk to geico, we have a property crisis here and your demand isnt welcome.
    4. rigid enforcement of building and planning standards, but the latter to be reworked totally to eradicate the ability of 'concerned citizens', or groups such as an taisce, to object or block to anything that has passed those standards. double the height of the dublin skyline.

now, who wants to see the majority of the above happen? very few people, in reality.

fixing housing would break the country. thats why it wont happen.

Why would very few people want to see the above happen ?, they are all excellent and fair ideas IMO. It’s totally ridiculous that all of the above are not already in place.

The rest of your post made for an interesting read and that’s why I started this thread.

well thats very flattering

i think once you take a course of action that solves the housing problems of maybe- throwing figure at a wall here, 20% - of the actively voting electorate, and do so by hitting the actual, anticipated or hoped-for asset value of the other 80% you can see why the housing crisis actually suits the majority if people who matter

thats not to even get into the proportion of tds who own their own homes, own multiple homes, hold stock in various ways in companies and industries that rely on property prices rising or holding, or rely on money from vested interests with that goal at individual or party level to remain in office

the noise about homelessness (really, the accommodation crisis, if you will) is not going to solve anything because the government that even tried to do so gets decimated for a generation.

its simple politics!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

A homeless woman in Dublin insulted me for not giving her change this week, well she acted nice but I heard her mumbling something as she walked away. She must have thought I was a rich banker but little did she realise that I couldn't even afford to take 20 euros out of the ATM.

kenmm wrote: »

Really?

This is not a made up idea, it's very real, and consists of thousands of people across Ireland.

I have read hundreds of stories on that end homelessness Facebook group of women refusing offers from the council because the area in Dublin didn't suit, or some other stupid reason that's no excuse to decline,

I actually seen a woman refusing to go into the homeless hub, after spending three years in a hotel with her kids. The homeless hub is apparently great compared to the hotels and people wait years to be offered this. She declined as she didn't wanna uproot the kids again. But continues to give out that she is homeless

Basically it is very hard to feel sorry for the not so genuine ones, that refuse point blank to ever work for the roof over their head, cry that they have been on the housing list since they turned 18, and do nothing physically to get out of the situation they're in, only complain about the government on facebook as if its their job to home them.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

In what way do people think marching will help end homelessness?

Contrary to popular belief, protesting has in fact resulted in major changes to government policy in many, many cases throughout history.

You’re the one saying we have different criteria and I’m using stats straight from wikipedia which is the only comparison I have right now.

I’m not the one claiming that we measure homelessness different from everyone else in the whole world. This is all you sir, I think you’ll find you are the one who should be providing the proof that we have less rough sleepers than most countries as you seem to have a problem with the numbers.
    The fact you think “liking” another posters comment is lowering yourself doesn’t say much. You should consider attacking the posts and not the posters as I believe those the rules.
    And unfortunately you cannot like a post but you can thank it. Maybe that’s what you meant ?

Wikipedia isn't a reliable source.
    I will offer it the credit however of highlighting the issue regarding the comparability of homeless statistics in its 2nd paragraph on the subject
    This is a list of countries (not all 195) by the homeless population present on any given night. Different countries often use different definitions of homelessness, making direct comparisons of numbers complicated.

That you seem unable to actively research a foundation of your point.

You have made claims regarding comparable homeless figures.
    It has been explained to you at length, that there aren't any.

You have presented a thesis, with no foundation other than your limited observation.
    You provided wiki numbers, as your basis.
    Those numbers are academically worthless, I don't need to rebut an argument when you haven't presented any evidence.

This is your thesis, you need to present the evidence to support it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 945 ✭✭✭Always Tired

I think we should all boycott the protest and make it clear to the government that we are totally fine with Ireland becoming like every American city where you just step over the homeless lying on the streets and continue on your day.

• Advertisement

I think we should all boycott the protest and make it clear to the government that we are totally fine with Ireland becoming like every American city where you just step over the homeless lying on the streets and continue on your day.

dramatic much?

rough sleepers aren't suffering through homelessness and our issues on this score simply do not even begin to approach the scale faced in most cities in the states

if these cases are your concern youd be better off correcting anyone trying to lump them in with those seeking their accommodation needs met by the state, and certainly you ought to be correcting the "10000 homeless" nonsense at every opportunity

Advertisement