Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Airplane Armrest Etiquette

• 17-11-2019 11:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭

I’ve just taken two Ryanair flights in the last week.
    On the first one, I was at a window seat and the lady in the middle used the armrest to my
    left for most of it or we shared it.

On the way back I was in the middle seat. A broad man was at the window and when I leaned on the armrest to my right he roared at me asking if I was being deliberately rude and said that was his armrest, mine was to my left and the aisle seat was to their left.

I was literally speechless at this and had no idea there was some sort of rule. Even when I wasn’t leaning on it he seemed to be spilling over into my space.

So I’m wondering, was he correct about the armrest? Is this a rule I had never heard of?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 728 ✭✭✭20Wheel

No, he was a mental.

Armrest rule is first come first served.

Putin is a dictator. Putin should face justice at the Hague. All good Russians should work to depose Putin. Russias war in Ukraine is illegal and morally wrong.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,126 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ten of Swords

Mod

Moved to aviation, please read the local charter before posting

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

20Wheel wrote: »
    No, he was a mental.

Armrest rule is first come first served.
    He sounds like a lunatic. But if there is an "armrest rule", it should be that the poor sap in the middle gets first dibs.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

If it's a short flight to UK it's not worth the hassle. Just don't use either, close your eyes and zone out. You'll be there before you know it.
    The armrest doesn't add that much to your comfort anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭billy few mates

elperello wrote: »

The armrest doesn't add that much to your comfort anyway.

It would if I found myself sitting beside that clown who thought he owned the armrest.
    I'd take great comfort in claiming that armrest from him for the entire flight even at great personal discomfort. I just love meeting these people who think they can invent rules to suit themselves.

My normal etiquette when I find myself sharing an armrest is to 'share the armrest' with my neighbour, as in I'll use it from time to time if it's not being used and I'll leave it for them to use from time to time, I've never had an argument about one yet...

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,138 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

Ficheall wrote: »
    He sounds like a lunatic. But if there is an "armrest rule", it should be that the poor sap in the middle gets first dibs.

Agreed, if I’m in the window/aisle I’ll always do my best to leave the middle seat armrests for the middle seat passenger, that should be the rule!

• Registered Users Posts: 24,780 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

He is just a fûcking asshôle pure and simple.

If I’m at the window seat I lean towards the one to my right, at the window, disturbing nobody and not invading personal space. More comfy too.

The middle person the one to their right, aisle same again as leaning to the left can get you bumped and bashed by the trolley and people moving around the cabin.

Unfortunately air travel these days seems to be a magnet for really twatish individuals like described by the OP, not content to have one arm rest they want yours too. Ireland in 2019 is a bit of a grim place ‘people’ wise. ‘I’ve got mine now what else can I get’ being a common enough mantra...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,279 ✭✭✭-=al=-

The person in the middle should get the arm rests since they have to deal with being in the middle. But people can be selfish morons when it comes to this kinda stuff

If you're in the window you can lean a bit toward the window and have some room there, and if in the isle you can kinda lean toward the isle and have some breathing room.

I can sometimes be on a few flights in a month, and it can be every man for himself up there sometimes. However, most people should be well versed with basic airline etiquette in 2019!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,854 ✭✭✭trellheim

window gets the window and the little extra space, aisle gets the space from the aisle , middle gets the two armrests anything else is a recipe for disaster

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 9,718 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tenger

Im with the above 2 posts. Its aisle and 1 armrest or window and 1 armrest or both middle armrests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,636 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

• Registered Users Posts: 957 ✭✭✭MuffinTop86

Do those long haul flights have armrests in the window though? I’m trying to remember. If the one I took to Australia did. I don’t think the Ryanair ones do.
    It’s interesting to see the replies because I instantly thought in my head this head banger may be right.
    Anyway the lesson is, while it’s nice to occasionally bag an extra legroom seat in the random seat allocation, I will not sit beside strangers again. I always seem to get the worst of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,895 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Do those long haul flights have armrests in the window though? I’m trying to remember. If the one I took to Australia did. I don’t think the Ryanair ones do.
    It’s interesting to see the replies because I instantly thought in my head this head banger may be right.
    Anyway the lesson is, while it’s nice to occasionally bag an extra legroom seat in the random seat allocation, I will not sit beside strangers again. I always seem to get the worst of them.

Ryanair do - flew with them at the weekend. I was at the window.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,120 ✭✭✭plodder

Careful now. Let's not be giving Ryanair ideas for more things they can charge extra for?

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Anyone next to me can have both armrest as long as their bony elbow does not protrude into my space.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,190 ✭✭✭✭elperello

How will you ensure that you do not sit beside a stranger?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,729 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

bigar wrote: »
    Anyone next to me can have both armrest as long as their bony elbow does not protrude into my space.

Unless the plane is super cramped, I am not fussed on Armrests, I agree that the etiquette as mentioned above seems fair enough as the person in the middle gas not free space left or right. The fella you met seems to be a headcase OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,250 ✭✭✭wassie

plodder wrote: »
    Careful now. Let's not be giving Ryanair ideas for more things they can charge extra for?

GOLD. But also concerned that there is some truth in this!

Advertisement