Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Spend money on Snagging or not?

• 16-11-2019 10:20am
    Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭

Hi,

The date has been set for snagging, I am wondering do we really have to hire somebody to do the snagging or is it sufficient to do it ourselves?

If we do hire somebody can we actually go there with him?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

FrankC21 wrote: »
    Hi,

The date has been set for snagging, I am wondering do we really have to hire somebody to do the snagging or is it sufficient to do it ourselves?

Unless you’re experienced with what to look for, it’s definitely worth it. It’s a couple of hundred euro for peace of mind.

We went with our snagger, he spotted things we didn’t. We were too excited about the house to pick up some of the small cosmetic stuff.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,204 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

You also then have some come back if they don’t spot something. Can’t sue yourself

• Registered Users Posts: 806 ✭✭✭FrankC21

I guess you guys are right, we will probably miss something minor yet important, our solicitor recommended one but for €500, but that is too much, he also advised us to look somewhere cheaper.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭charlietheminxx

I guess you guys are right, we will probably miss something minor yet important, our solicitor recommended one but for €500, but that is too much, he also advised us to look somewhere cheaper.

What county is the house in? Maybe some of us can PM recommendations?

• Registered Users Posts: 782 ✭✭✭Dolbhad

Not to be mean but it’s the most expensive thing you will buy. Okay maybe you can get someone cheaper but I think it’s madness to entertain not getting a snag list done for a few hundred. If you’ll spend that on a couch, you can spend it on a Snag list.

Anybody I know has bought a new build has paid for a snag list and not one has come back and said there is nothing on the list. Hopefully it’s minor list and mostly stuff you wouldn’t spot (you will be so happy to get in you will overlook anything) but I had friends with snags list of rooms or the house not painted, cracks in windows and tiles, doors not closing properly, driveways not being done or steps to high so it’s difficult to drive a car in it. Some builders are great, some aren’t.

Also once builder gets money he’s gone. You are bottom of list to the get him back to fix anything cause he’s on the next house trying to get paid. Esp so close to Christmas break (banks tend to stop issuing funds second week of December) builders may push for a house and say it’s done and you could actually have a detailed snag list.

• Advertisement

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Not to be mean but it’s the most expensive thing you will buy. Okay maybe you can get someone cheaper but I think it’s madness to entertain not getting a snag list done for a few hundred. If you’ll spend that on a couch, you can spend it on a Snag list.

Anybody I know has bought a new build has paid for a snag list and not one has come back and said there is nothing on the list. Hopefully it’s minor list and mostly stuff you wouldn’t spot (you will be so happy to get in you will overlook anything) but I had friends with snags list of rooms or the house not painted, cracks in windows and tiles, doors not closing properly, driveways not being done or steps to high so it’s difficult to drive a car in it. Some builders are great, some aren’t.

Also once builder gets money he’s gone. You are bottom of list to the get him back to fix anything cause he’s on the next house trying to get paid. Esp so close to Christmas break (banks tend to stop issuing funds second week of December) builders may push for a house and say it’s done and you could actually have a detailed snag list.

Our snagging is on the 29th November, I have a feeling we will drawdown next year??

What county is the house in? Maybe some of us can PM recommendations?

Co. Louth, Drogheda

Our snagging is on the 29th November, I have a feeling we will drawdown next year??

Well you might pull off getting keys for Christmas if the snag list is small and the items can be done and checked in a fews days. That’s to give your solicitor time to request funds from the Bank. This is all assuming the legals on builders side is in order and signed. Some loan offers it seems from boards are giving extra incentives if you drawn down before the end of the year. I say touch base with your solicitor and see can it be done.

Dolbhad wrote: »
    Well you might pull off getting keys for Christmas if the snag list is small and the items can be done and checked in a fews days. That’s to give your solicitor time to request funds from the Bank. This is all assuming the legals on builders side is in order and signed. Some loan offers it seems from boards are giving extra incentives if you drawn down before the end of the year. I say touch base with your solicitor and see can it be done.

Our solicitor expect the closing in three weeks time, Hopefully everything is in order, it will be nice to get the keys before Christmas.

• Registered Users Posts: 341 ✭✭lfc200

Hi,

Absolutely do. They'll check boundaries etc not just purely cosmetic things. They'll also check to make sure various parts of the house meet regulations eg head height on stairs, accessibility into bathroom etc etc.
    In my opinion it's too important not to have a professional do it...

• Advertisement

Our solicitor expect the closing in three weeks time, Hopefully everything is in order, it will be nice to get the keys before Christmas.

That’s a good sign if your solicitor has you on their Xmas list for closing. Just check you have everything in place with bank - life insurance, house insurance, valuation in date and direct debit mandate so once you see the snag list and have a date the jobs will be done by you can let solicitor know your happy to close. Good luck! Hope you get in for Christmas break.

As previous poster said they can check boundaries also. That’s important to get done.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,862 ✭✭✭un5byh7sqpd2x0

You draw down before closing you know. If your solicitor expects to close in 3 weeks, then they expect you to have your keys in 3 weeks

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

godtabh wrote: »
    You also then have some come back if they don’t spot something. Can’t sue yourself

I’ve never heard of a snagger being sued before to be honest.
    A snag is a visual survey and will be finished with a disclaimer that what was spoofed on the day. Hidden things like plumbing, electrics etc are not checked.

I fail to see what a typical case against a snagger would be.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,354 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

lfc200 wrote: »
    Absolutely do. They'll check boundaries etc not just purely cosmetic things. They'll also check to make sure various parts of the house meet regulations eg head height on stairs, accessibility into bathroom etc etc.
    In my opinion it's too important not to have a professional do it...

Snagging does not involve a boundary check. You are confusing this with a building survey. Generally snagging doesn’t encompass a Building Regukation check either unless it’s obvious and in your face.

The OP is buying in a new development which means it will come with a Completion Certificate which would have been applied for by an Assigned Certifier under BCAR.

We got a qoute from this guy <SNIP> - his price is €495. What do you think?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

We got a qoute from this guy <SNIP> - his price is €495. What do you think?

I paid about €250 for a new build snag in Blackrock Co. Louth this time last year. €495 for just snagging seems pricey.

I paid about €250 for a new build snag in Blackrock Co. Louth this time last year. €495 for just snagging seems pricey.

Can you recommend one? Please :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

About to pay 250 quid for a snag on a 3 bed new build in Dublin. Would naaat pay 495.

Fia11 wrote: »
    About to pay 250 quid for a snag on a 3 bed new build in Dublin. Would naaat pay 495.

Can you recommend one please?

<SNIP>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

Can you recommend one? Please :pac:

PM sent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭Fia11

<SNIP>

988603712.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,626 ✭✭✭corks finest

FrankC21 wrote:

If you've 2 legs/ arms,can read + follow instructions, FFS DIY

• Registered Users Posts: 197 ✭✭conair01

Fia11 wrote: »

Hi could you forward me the details? Were you happy with the work/ report that was done?

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

I posted last week looking for a snagger. I got one recommendation by PM. Got my snag done today. The report came back with 74 issues.
    Reminded me of when I put my car in for its NCT without fixing anything. The builder is only going to fix the things he needs to get his money.

Years ago I got a snagger of good repute to check a house I bought. He missed a fair few things that had to be later rectified, one of them being the en-suite shower not working by virtue of the fact that a pump had never been installed by builder. It was only when my tenants got a bit peeved that they always had to use the bath that it came to light. So my advice is to check the simple things yourself. Check that the all the taps work, the toilets flush, the heating turns on in every room it was designed to do, there is hot water from all the sources it’s intended to be available, that all the sockets actually worked, all the lights turn on, that the cooker and all appliances basically work if they are included, that each window opens and closes as intended, and all doors open and close properly. These very basic things may go unchecked even if a snagger is employed.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

I posted last week looking for a snagger. I got one recommendation by PM. Got my snag done today. The report came back with 74 issues.
    Reminded me of when I put my car in for its NCT without fixing anything. The builder is only going to fix the things he needs to get his money.

Any decent snagger will find many, many issues on any house, even one that's in great condition, so I wouldn't worry if your list seems long. That's pretty normal.

Once you get the report you need to figure out what the important things are that need to be fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭StoptheClocks

awec wrote: »
    Any decent snagger will find many, many issues on any house, even one that's in great condition, so I wouldn't worry if your list seems long. That's pretty normal.

Once you get the report you need to figure out what the important things are that need to be fixed.

What if you're not in a rush to take the house. Shouldn't the builder not try to fix / improve everything on the list?

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What if you're not in a rush to take the house. Shouldn't the builder not try to fix / improve everything on the list?

Sure if you're not in a rush you can try and insist on every little thing being done, but you'll be waiting quite a while I'd imagine. Even then, you'll find issues after you move in that both you and the snagger will have missed, and it's always good to be on good terms with the developer at this point as you're pretty much relying on goodwill.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,505 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

74 snags is pritty good.
    depends on what they are of course.
    you could easily get 20 plus in one room on small things like a bit of caulk missing here and there or patchy paint, open joints on skirts architrave etc.

i have seen some shockingly long snag lists

Advertisement