Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Enfield .32 ACP Adapter / Licensing

Options
  • 16-11-2019 12:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

I've been offered an adapter that'll allow me shoot .32 ACP ammo through my .303.... The dealer in the UK obviously won't supply it to me unless it's licensed.

Has anyone else bought such a thing and if so, how did you go about the legalities? Obviously, it's different to just getting a license for a barrel... perhaps a supt., authorization would suffice?

Thanks in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Would be a restricted calibre, no way you'd just get an authorisation for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭CorkCBR6

Robotack wrote: »
    I've been offered an adapter that'll allow me shoot .32 ACP ammo through my .303.... The dealer in the UK obviously won't supply it to me unless it's licensed.

Has anyone else bought such a thing and if so, how did you go about the legalities? Obviously, it's different to just getting a license for a barrel... perhaps a supt., authorization would suffice?

Thanks in advance

Very interesting, just looked them up - had no idea they existed.
    I also shoot 303.

I'd imagine it is a whole new license application for the "new barrel"..

Would also think 32ACP would be very difficult to get your hands on in Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

It's not a new barrel and I'd also wonder if it's a restricted caliber as it's the exact same diameter as a .303.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,436 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

It's over .308 and also

'5. The following ammunition is declared to be restricted ammunition for the purposes of the Act:

(e) ammunition for short firearms, except ammunition for any of those mentioned in subparagraph (2)(a) or (2)(e) of paragraph 4;' so anything other than .22

Worth putting it past the FO though, nothing to lose sure.

Will you be saving any money in the doing though? Ya wouldn't find too much .32ACP around, from the North perhaps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭alanmc

I'm just wondering why you'd want to shoot a pistol cartridge from your rifle.

I can't imagine the.32 ACP is any more accurate than the venerable.303. Nor can I imagine it's more accessible here.

Am I missing something?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭Robotack

Costs half the price of 303

303 is too big for many places / ranges

• Registered Users Posts: 14,950 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Different caliber,it's a new liscense for a .32 cal "firearm",in this case a pistol cal firing "rifle".Eventhough it will proably have to have the parents 303 rifle serial number engraved on it as well for identification.However once that is established,you could proably apply for it as a "combination gun"next time round.Again,with no definition in law as to what that is exactly, this could be fitted in there.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 286 ✭✭oldgit1897

I would not bother. I have seen things like that before and they are a catch-penny/novelty. Such as the adaptor to shoot centrefire pistol rounds through a breakopen shotgun, great fun for 10 minutes and a pain in the fundament after that, to be relegated to the back of the gun safe and forgotten.

They are difficult and slow to use, the main thing being, getting the empty case out of the adaptor, which usually involves poking them out with a bit of rod or stick.

The .32 acp is not that common a round, i never seen one on the range even with all the older guns that turned up after the 1972 confiscated stuff was given back to their owners.

Have a look at this though, 14.40 mins in. I am sure you know Riflechair, a Canadian chap who is milsurp mad. A good channel to subscribe to, though he has soured a little in the past few years over the way Canada is being governed.

oldgit1897 wrote: »
    I would not bother. I have seen things like that before and they are a catch-penny/novelty. Such as the adaptor to shoot centrefire pistol rounds through a breakopen shotgun, great fun for 10 minutes and a pain in the fundament after that, to be relegated to the back of the gun safe and forgotten.

You need to get a proper one with at least 8ins of rifled barrel.They are great craic,and will throw decent enough patterns out to 50 meters.Expect shotgun slug like accruacy beyond that.The un rifled or 3in yokes,Id use for dispatch of downed animals,and not much else.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

You need to get a proper one with at least 8ins of rifled barrel.They are great craic,and will throw decent enough patterns out to 50 meters.Expect shotgun slug like accruacy beyond that.The un rifled or 3in yokes,Id use for dispatch of downed animals,and not much else.

Humane dispatch ? Even in gun-paranoid Britain, you can buy a single shot pistol two shot revolver to carry while stalking for humane dispatch. I still think you cannot beat a dedicated rifle in the calibre its intended for.

Again if reloading was not so restricted here, you could do what the chap in the video has done and make up some extremely light loads with light bullets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭LIFFY FISHING

There are a lot of things to consider here...
    Firstly its restricred caliber so it cant be done on any sub,as your .303 is an unresteicred caliber its not like for like and any application for a restricted caliber has to go before the Chief Super.

You are seeking to " modify " a firearm...the modification is not perminant so you would have a firearm capible of shooting 2 different calibers...one restricted....one non restricred...cant see DOJ or your FAO going for that..how could you purchase the ammunition other than a second licence...

Firstly its restricred caliber so it cant be done on any sub,as your .303 is an unresteicred caliber its not like for like and any application for a restricted caliber has to go before the Chief Super.

You are seeking to " modify " a firearm...the modification is not perminant so you would have a firearm capible of shooting 2 different calibers...one restricted....one non restricred...cant see DOJ or your FAO going for that..how could you purchase the ammunition other than a second licence...

You are applying for a new liscense for a restricted firearm,but with the same type of action and serial nr as the LE.You purchase the ammo the same way your do with a large cal combo rifle and shotgun.Depends on what your Super or CS wants.Two liscenses for the seperate cals or just one for the restricted cal?
    Again caused by the ambiguity and the act not taking those types of guns into consideration.From everyone I have talked to on this issue,DOJ,the Park,and numerous supers,they all came back with the same.Up to the Super or Cheif how he wants to handle it under the persona designata authorisation.

More stupidity in the licencing system. A .300 win mag is unrestricted and a pipsqueak round like the .32 acp is. Irish logic at its finest.

Grizzly 45 wrote: »

Humane dispatch ? Even in gun-paranoid Britain, you can buy a single shot pistol two shot revolver to carry while stalking for humane dispatch. I still think you cannot beat a dedicated rifle in the calibre its intended for.

Again if reloading was not so restricted here, you could do what the chap in the video has done and make up some extremely light loads with light bullets.

Yes there are such,but the paperwork and local CC 's demeanour can be a big problem,and you have to provide professional qualifications as a stalker,vet,kennel master,knacker,stable owner to have a good case for one.IOW you wont get one easily as just a hobby hunter .
    Nothing wrong with the adapters,German hunters have been using them for generations for trap lines and dispatch .They work within their limits.

Advertisement