Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

EU to recommend abolishing DST

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,241 ✭✭✭facehugger99

An opinion poll carried out as part of public consultation on the proposed change found that (coincidentally) 82 percent of people oppose any measure that results in different time zones on the island of Ireland.

I'd love to see how that question was worded and the results of same. It's not credible that that many people give a **** what time it is in Belfast.

Did the 82% choose sticking with UK time compared to switching to year round summertime or was it a woolly 'would you like there to just be one timezone in Ireland?' for example.

That question did not form part of the EU consultation process to my recollection.

Does anyone have a link to the poll?

I envy anyone who is bothered by having to do this. They don’t know what problems are.

Depends on how difficult it is to change the clocks, having to hire scaffold to reach a different to reach clock, plus all the health & safety documentation etc.
    it can be a real pain.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭nkl12xtw5goz70

It's not credible that that many people give a **** what time it is in Belfast.

It all depends on how close one lives to the North. Most people in Dublin probably don't care what time it is in Belfast. Many people in Donegal probably do care what time it is in Derry.

Also, two time zones in Ireland would only reinforce the partition of the country, potentially undermining the peace process.

It all depends on how close one lives to the North. Most people in Dublin probably don't care what time it is in Belfast. Many people in Donegal probably do care what time it is in Derry.

Also, two time zones in Ireland would only reinforce the partition of the country, potentially undermining the peace process.

82% is not a credible percentage. Donegal has a tiny population compared to Dublin.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,136 ✭✭✭prunudo

I'd say most Dubs don't care about time it is in the other 31 counties let alone Belfast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Akrasia wrote: »
    That would make things twice as bad as they are

Why do none of the pro DST folks ever talk about the disruption caused twice a year from the very act of changing the clocks
    What disruption? Most barely even notice the darker evenings in our overcast and cloudy climate, in fact everyone who's up early loves the 'extra' hour of daylight in the mornings at the end of October.
    What disruption happens at the end of March?

82% is not a credible percentage. Donegal has a tiny population compared to Dublin.

Well, that's what the poll, carried out by Amarach Research, found.

You assume most people don't care about having two time zones on the island of Ireland, while opinion polling shows that most people actually do.

Which is more "credible" — your personal opinion, or the views of the 1,000+ people surveyed?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

What disruption? Most barely even notice the darker evenings in our overcast and cloudy climate, in fact everyone who's up early loves the 'extra' hour of daylight in the mornings at the end of October.
    What disruption happens at the end of March?

I think it's been proven that people are more likely to suffer cardiac arrest or stroke on the day following the time change.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well, that's what the poll, carried out by Amarach Research, found.

You assume most people don't care about having two time zones on the island of Ireland, while opinion polling shows that most people actually do.

Which is more "credible" — your personal opinion, or the views of the 1,000+ people surveyed?

My question related to the phrasing of the question and what the options were wrt to how the choice was presented.

I would contend, from my experience that people would be happy to choose permanent summer time even if the UK didn't.

Have you a link to the poll?

Creating a problem where there isn't really one. I'm sure people near the Spanish/Portuguese border as well as those living in Arizona (doesn't do daylight savings time at all) and the neighbouring states get on fine with this seemingly 'complex' issue.

• Advertisement

As I've said before.

Try it and people will be screaming for DST back after a few winter's of pitch dark mornings..

How do you know people will be screaming for it back, your so convinced of it that it’s sort of funny.

Most people aren’t stupid, they realise the mornings will be darker but they are perfectly happy with that.

Creating a problem where there isn't really one. I'm sure people near the Spanish/Portuguese border as well as those living in Arizona (doesn't do daylight savings time at all) and the neighbouring states get on fine with this seemingly 'complex' issue.

The situation of Arizona and New Mexico is very different from the Republic of Ireland and the North — in that you don't have tense animosity between people with very different ideas about what country they belong to. Applying different time zones in the island of Ireland only reinforces the mentality of partition, with self-evident political consequences.

As a practical aspect, note too that schools in the US start much earlier than Irish schools, with the school day generally beginning somewhere between 7 and 8 a.m. This makes it easier for American parents to manage school runs before work.

In border counties, you have people trying to get their kids to school and then get to work across the border themselves on a tight schedule — which would be thrown into havoc if there were an hour's time difference.

A cross-border worker living in Donegal, 30 minutes from Derry, would have to leave home at 7:30 am in the wintertime to get to work by 9.

It's very easy for people sitting down in Dublin to say this shouldn't cause problems. But imagine putting the Northside and Southside of Dublin in different time zones and think of the issues it would cause.

Have you a link to the poll?

No, I don't. I'm sure you can look it up if you're interested.

The situation of Arizona and New Mexico is very different from the Republic of Ireland and the North — in that you don't have tense animosity between people with very different ideas about what country they belong to. Applying different time zones in the island of Ireland only reinforces the mentality of partition, with self-evident political consequences.

If it's such big problem for the people in Northern Ireland what's stopping them from from changing to the same time zone as us?

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

If it's such big problem for the people in Northern Ireland what's stopping them from from changing to the same time zone as us?

The DUP ;)

Don't want Northern Ireland being different from the Union. (except when it comes to gay marriage and abortion of course).

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Depends on how difficult it is to change the clocks, having to hire scaffold to reach a different to reach clock, plus all the health & safety documentation etc.
    it can be a real pain.

You know, I’m still going to put that in the ‘Problems I wish I had’ category. And for most people, it’s far easier than that. Even business owners with clocks outside.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,490 ✭✭✭stefanovich

This is all just to piss off the UK. Just like us switching to kilometers. Farce.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,128 ✭✭✭Tacitus Kilgore

This is all just to piss off the UK. Just like us switching to kilometers. Farce.

Agree 100% - inches, feet, yards & miles make infinitely more sense than the convoluted metric system. Arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,939 ✭✭✭✭Stark

Agree 100% - inches, feet, yards & miles make infinitely more sense than the convoluted metric system. Arse.

Definitely, multiplying by 12, then 3, then 3, then hold on I have to google the next bit (https://www.google.ie/search?q=how+many+yards+in+a+mile) is much easier to grasp than multiplying by 10 every time.

⛥ ̸̱̼̞͛̀̓̈́͘#C̶̼̭͕̎̿͝R̶̦̮̜̃̓͌O̶̬͙̓͝W̸̜̥͈̐̾͐Ṋ̵̲͔̫̽̎̚͠ͅT̸͓͒͐H̵͔͠È̶̖̳̘͍͓̂W̴̢̋̈͒͛̋I̶͕͑͠T̵̻͈̜͂̇Č̵̤̟̑̾̂̽H̸̰̺̏̓ ̴̜̗̝̱̹͛́̊̒͝⛥

Well, Irish people travel back and forth over the border and over the Irish sea and have to change from KM to miles. All other large English speaking countries use miles.

As for daylight savings, most of the channels on TV we watch are UK.

It'll cause us confusion here.

• Advertisement

Stark wrote: »
    The DUP ;)

Don't want Northern Ireland being different from the Union. (except when it comes to gay marriage and abortion of course).

The same DUP that voted against the good Friday Agreement?

Well then that's a matter between the people of Northern Ireland and the DUP.
    We shouldn't be changing policy to suit those idiots.

It's about time we looked after ourselves and let them either follow or suffer the consequences.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well, Irish people travel back and forth over the border and over the Irish sea and have to change from KM to miles. All other large English speaking countries use miles.

It'll cause us confusion here.

What do they have to change at the border?

Ehm, aside from the US - what other large English speaking countries use miles?

Our good american friends, and australian, and russian, and chinese friends - all seem to survive despite having multiple time zones within their own countries, I think an hour between us and whoever will be just fine.

What do they have to change at the border?

Ehm, aside from the US - what other large English speaking countries use miles?

Our good american friends, and australian, and russian, and chinese friends - all seem to survive despite having multiple time zones within their own countries, I think an hour between us and whoever will be just fine.

Hmm, I assumed Canada / Australia and New Zealand used miles but apparently I'm wrong.

Still, the UK and the US would be the top countries that Irish people would visit and we share a land border with one of them.

My mother is going to be an hour late for Coronation street now and it is your fault.

God forbid we have to get up an hour earlier to watch homes under the hammer :rolleyes:

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

Well, Irish people travel back and forth over the border and over the Irish sea and have to change from KM to miles.

You'd be amazed how many from the North think they can drive as fast as they want in the Republic just because they see "100" on the signs.

Still, the UK and the US would be the top countries that Irish people would visit and we share a land border with one of them.

My mother is going to be an hour late for Coronation street now and it is your fault.

I think Spain is the most visited by Irish people - certainly for holidaying anyway, they use kms over there too btw, AAND drive on the other side.

:pac: @ the bolded bit, made me chuckle

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

Try it and people will be screaming for DST back after a few winter's of pitch dark mornings.
    Agree, pitch dark mornings in exchange for an 'extra' hour of gloomy semi darkness in the afternoon that no one will even notice notice doesn't seem like a good deal to me.
    Also more ice in the mornings with the sun rising an hour later is not a good idea in a country totally dependent on the motor car and long commutes because of years of bad 'planning'.
    I'd give it a year or two before people realise they have been hoodwinked by the 'extra' hour of daylight carrot on a stick.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

Agree, pitch dark mornings in exchange for an 'extra' hour of gloomy semi darkness in the afternoon that no one will even notice notice doesn't seem like a good deal to me.
    Also more ice in the mornings with the sun rising an hour later is not a good idea in a country totally dependent on the motor car and long commutes because of years of bad 'planning'.
    I'd give it a year or two before people realise they have been hoodwinked by the 'extra' hour of daylight carrot on a stick.

A very good point. In mid-winter, it wouldn’t be an issue but the darker mornings in the outer reaches of winter would mean that morning ice would be an issue for far longer each year.

The supposed benefits of extra brightness in the evening make me smile. The road to hell is paved with good intentions. Anyone who wants to exercise outdoors over winter is already doing so.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,170 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Also, Ireland had a much more agrarian workforce back in the late 60s, who objected starting work in the fields while it was still dark. That is much less of a concern in 2019.

I don't buy that. Why would anyone start work on a farm at X o'clock simply because that was what they've always done? They're going to work according to the daylight whatever the clock says.

Well, Irish people travel back and forth over the border and over the Irish sea and have to change from KM to miles.

So what. When I drove all over Europe with an MPH speedo it was no problem. I drive the wife's car which has an MPH speedo, my current bike has a km/h speedo but the one I sold last month was MPH. It's not a problem except perhaps for the terminally stupid.
    All other large English speaking countries use miles.

Australia, Canada, India use km. US and UK are the outliers.

Yeah god forbid someone misses East Enders, which is shown on an Irish channel anyway :rolleyes:

Don't most people record almost everything they watch these days anyway? never mind on-demand services.

You'd be amazed how many from the North think they can drive as fast as they want in the Republic just because they see "100" on the signs.

You'll find that they were doing it anyway when we still had MPH signs.

Do they also think that the white UK sign with the black diagonal means no speed limit? :rolleyes:

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,174 ✭✭✭highdef

Around the winter solstice, this would be the case. Can't disagree there however it's later in the winter when it becomes more beneficial. With all year round Irish Standard Time, sunset at the end of February would be about 19:00 in Dublin.....add about 10 minutes to that if you are in the southwest or west of the country. With a 19:00 sunset, you'd have about 20 minutes or so of usable light as long as it's not overcast. To me, that is a massive increase of post-work light and longer time for outdoor activities at the weekends/when not working.

By mid March, you've another 30 minutes of daylight available with sunset around about 19:30 with usable daylight heading for 20:00. At this stage the weather is usually picking up somewhat and going for walks, gardening, outdoor painting, etc are tasks that become more regular. This is still about a fortnight before the clocks would be changing and I know from my own point of view, every week counts greatly as I await the longer evenings from late March onwards.

Advertisement