Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Water charges for excessive usage

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

blanch152 wrote: »
    Why are people on here complaining about excess water charges. After all, if you reduce your usage, you won't be charged.

Ultimately, that points to the link between charging and consumption, the main reason for the introduction of charging in the first place.

That puts the onus on approx 55% of properties to monitor their usage / consumption, while the other 45% of un-metered properties can do whatever they want, wash their cars every day, power hose their driveway, fill swimming pools all without penalty.
    As long as they don't have a leak, in probably 90+% of cases, they will remain undetectable.
    Is that fair and equitable in your eyes?
    Its like saying that all Red cars in the country can drive without tax and insurance, speed to their hearts content and not suffer any consequences.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,347 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

K.Flyer wrote: »
    That puts the onus on approx 55% of properties to monitor their usage / consumption, while the other 45% of un-metered properties can do whatever they want, wash their cars every day, power hose their driveway, fill swimming pools all without penalty.
    As long as they don't have a leak, in probably 90+% of cases, they will remain undetectable.
    Is that fair and equitable in your eyes?
    Its like saying that all Red cars in the country can drive without tax and insurance, speed to their hearts content and not suffer any consequences.

From a conservation perspective, that is better than 0% of properties monitoring their usage.

Ideally, I would want 100%, but that is not practical in the current climate. A few more 10-day boil water notices in Dublin are needed for the slow learners in the Irish population to accept water charges.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

Ideally, I would want 100%, but that is not practical in the current climate.
    Here's the thing, they could have metered 90+% of all properties, including apartments. That would have made it a more level playing field.
    If they hadn't squandered multiple millions we could have upgraded the network and had almost every property metered. But instead they lined their own pockets first and ba!!sed the rest of it up.
    From a conservation perspective, that is better than 0% of properties monitoring their usage.

A few more 10-day boil water notices in Dublin are needed for the slow learners in the Irish population to accept water charges.

The boil water and issues that cause it predates I.W. by a long time.
    I would be happy to bet money that had they spent the obscene amounts setting up I.W. on the water network and infrastructure there would be minimal network leaks and probably no boil water notices.
    But no, successive governments have kicked it down the road for decades and eventually, after a ham fisted attempt, its bit them on the ar$e.
    So who pays and suffers as a consequence?

K.Flyer wrote: »
    Here's the thing, they could have metered 90+% of all properties, including apartments. That would have made it a more level playing field.
    If they hadn't squandered multiple millions we could have upgraded the network and had almost every property metered. But instead they lined their own pockets first and ba!!sed the rest of it up.

The boil water and issues that cause it predates I.W. by a long time.
    I would be happy to bet money that had they spent the obscene amounts setting up I.W. on the water network and infrastructure there would be minimal network leaks and probably no boil water notices.
    But no, successive governments have kicked it down the road for decades and eventually, after a ham fisted attempt, its bit them on the ar$e.
    So who pays and suffers as a consequence?

https://www.water.ie/docs/Irish-Water-Business-Plan.pdf

The Irish Water Business Plan set out how €5.5bn of capital expenditure to 2021 would have been achieved. We will fall well short of that, thanks to the abolition of domestic water charges, a key part of the business plan.

https://www.irishexaminer.com/ireland/untruths-of-irish-water-setup-costs-467510.html

Even if O'Dowd's claim of over €200m in set-up costs is true, the delivery of annual savings of €70m would have been well worth it.

"Mr Quinn said the change would, in time, free up €70m a year in operational savings and efficiencies."

As it is, we got some of the set-up charge, but none of the savings because the politicians caved.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

It is a non runner completely so there is not much point in discussing the anomaly of excessive use charges anymore. What a swizz, they must think we are nodding donkeys.

Anyway, if EVERYONE was to pay LPT like most other countries pay council taxes, ie renters and owners, then and only then, I would not object to a small rise in that charge to cover water charges.

If LPT remains a charge on owners only, forget it. Same thing again, some pay, some don't.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Eh?

How come P?

No one paid.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Ideally, I would want 100%, but that is not practical in the current climate. A few more 10-day boil water notices in Dublin are needed for the slow learners in the Irish population to accept water charges.

Are you one of them by any chance? Sounds like it.

Until EVERYONE is monitored for excessive usage it will not happen. You do realise this don't you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

pablo128 wrote: »
    No one paid.

The ones that did were refunded, so no one got stiffed.

There were even ones who got a bribe which didn't have to be returned, so some actually profited, never mind being stiffed.

Perhaps Brendan means we the tax payers were stiffed, but that's not exactly middle Ireland.

If he wants to find someone to vent his anger towards ref the blatant disregard of how our money was used to be thrown around like confetti with no catches or repercussions to both those claiming the bribe, and the gombeens who drew up the plans to dish it out, he should write a strongly worded letter to those responsible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,653 ✭✭✭✭Plumbthedepths

Lots made of excessive use ( happily it doesn't concern me) strange how there is no mention of a referendum to deal with the privatisation issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

Why are people on here complaining about excess water charges. After all, if you reduce your usage, you won't be charged.

Ultimately, that points to the link between charging and consumption, the main reason for the introduction of charging in the first place.

You cannot seriously be suggesting that bringing in rules for one half of users while allowing anarchy for the other half is OK? You'd be happy with that?

With respect, that is a recipe for revolt - you try to run a business in that way and your staff would be at each other's throats in 5 minutes. Say "Mary, if you're late, I won't doc your wages - John, if you're late, you lose money"

You really are very naive if you think such discrimination could work.

• Advertisement

Benedict wrote: »
    You cannot seriously be suggesting that bringing in rules for one half of users while allowing anarchy for the other half is OK? You'd be happy with that?

With respect, that is a recipe for revolt - you try to run a business in that way and your staff would be at each other's throats in 5 minutes. Say "Mary, if you're late, I won't doc your wages - John, if you're late, you lose money"

You really are very naive if you think such discrimination could work.

Finding ways to conserve water can't wait for the installation of an equal system.

Finding ways to conserve water can't wait for the installation of an equal system.

That's why they went with an uncapped regime last time, waste as much as you wanted.

Thing is, people paying at source might not view it as being "wasted" because they "were paying at source"

There was, and is no conservation attempts by this or the previous govt. It was a cash grab, plain and simple.

Good god, even the greens were calling for the Irish water charges regime to be put out of its misery in the end.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,176 ✭✭✭✭Brendan Bendar

That's why they went with an uncapped regime last time, waste as much as you wanted.

Thing is, people paying at source might not view it as being "wasted" because they "were paying at source"

There was, and is no conservation attempts by this or the previous govt. It was a cash grab, plain and simple.

Good god, even the greens were calling for the Irish water charges regime to be put out of its misery in the end.

Hmmm ... anyone kinda link the introduction of the PS card to these water charges....regarding responses.

Seems certain folk were not too keen that the ‘Feds’ knew too much about them....uhmmm ....kinda strange, I might suggest.

Lot of push back on both issues....... wonder why.... hmmm

• Registered Users Posts: 14,933 ✭✭✭✭charlie14

What the real slow learning supporters of metering are learning daily is that the whole fiasco was a failed FIne Gael political wet dream that cost the tax payer a very large fortune and left them with the inept quango of Irish Water.

Hmmm ... anyone kinda link the introduction of the PS card to these water charges....regarding responses.

Seems certain folk were not too keen that the ‘Feds’ knew too much about them....uhmmm ....kinda strange, I might suggest.

No idea what that's got to do with what I posted Brenner. Has me stumped so it has. 🤔

Meanwhile this one went unacknowledged.
    The ones that did were refunded, so no one got stiffed.

There were even ones who got a bribe which didn't have to be returned, so some actually profited, never mind being stiffed.

Perhaps Brendan means we the tax payers were stiffed, but that's not exactly middle Ireland.

If he wants to find someone to vent his anger towards ref the blatant disregard of how our money was used to be thrown around like confetti with no catches or repercussions to both those claiming the bribe, and the gombeens who drew up the plans to dish it out, he should write a strongly worded letter to those responsible.

Middle Ireland stiffed.

If you are referring to the failed attempted to harvest PPS numbers your Middle Ireland refused to "engage".

Lucky for that FG/Lab government they did when you see the slapping they are now getting from the Data Protection Commission on their Public Service card scam attempt.

charlie14 wrote: »
    What the real slow learning supporters of metering are learning daily is that the whole fiasco was a failed FIne Gael political wet dream that cost the tax payer a very large fortune and left them with the inept quango of Irish Water.

I really don’t care what FG think.

I have set out why I believe water charges are a good idea - for conservation. So address the issue rather than the usual strawman nonsense. It doesn’t matter if it is a quango, it doesn’t matter if it only breaks even, if consumption is reduced, water charges are a good idea.

If you are referring to the failed attempted to harvest PPS numbers your Middle Ireland refused to "engage".

Lucky for that FG/Lab government they did when you see the slapping they are now getting from the Data Protection Commission on their Public Service card scam attempt.

It is amazing how so many law-abiding, tax-paying, cash-avoiding citizens don’t like the government having the ability Through PPS numbers to link up their house with their income tax payments (or their social welfare) but at the same time they will tell google and Facebook everything about their whole life.

It is amazing how so many law-abiding, tax-paying, cash-avoiding citizens don’t like the government having the ability Through PPS numbers to link up their house with their income tax payments (or their social welfare) but at the same time they will tell google and Facebook everything about their whole life.

Quite simply the vast majority of people did not trust a government where they saw, (long before the C.S.O. admitted in their application to Eurostat that "privatisation of Irish Water is ultimately envisaged"), that their PPS details would end up as a commodity that could be sold to the highest bidder.

When you consider how that FG/Lab government were playing fast and loose with the Public Service Card, according to the Data Protection Commissioner, shows how right they were

I really don’t care what FG think.

I have set out why I believe water charges are a good idea - for conservation. So address the issue rather than the usual strawman nonsense. It doesn’t matter if it is a quango, it doesn’t matter if it only breaks even, if consumption is reduced, water charges are a good idea.

No strawman nonsense in the fact if all metered households had paid the then household charge not a red cent would have contributed to water services.

That was due to metering.

260 euro per average household just to break even on 1 Billion euro spent.

Now to your airy fairy break even nonsense.

How much will it cost the average household to meter the remaining 50% of households plus all the unmetered apartments to simply break even on a crazy undertaking adding nothing to water services in a country where we are one of the lowest household misusers of water in the O.E.C.D.?

Calculations to the nearest 50 Euro will suffice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 684 ✭✭✭Benedict

It's like saying that if you have a red car and you're caught speeding, no problem. If you have a blue car there will be a fine.

If the blue car owner objects, just say " Don't worry your little head about the red cars, if you don't want a fine, just don't speed".

No strawman nonsense in the fact if all metered households had paid the then household charge not a red cent would have contributed to water services.

That was due to metering.

260 euro per average household just to break even on 1 Billion euro spent.

Now to your airy fairy break even nonsense.

How much will it cost the average household to meter the remaining 50% of households plus all the unmetered apartments to simply break even on a crazy undertaking adding nothing to water services in a country where we are one of the lowest household misusers of water in the O.E.C.D.?

Calculations to the nearest 50 Euro will suffice.

For a start, the 1 billion is fantasy stuff, even O'Dowd in the link I provided put the set-up costs at €200m. With €70m coming in, the set-up costs would have been paid back in three years, as the Irish Water Business Plan in the other link I provided backed up.

Doesn't matter if we are one of the lowest household misusers of water in the OECD (and I note that once again, you provided a slogan without a link to back it up, and I don't mean a link to another slogan), that would still put us among the highest 20% of misusers of water in the world.

If you are looking at this from the perspective of "no way, we won't pay", then you are against water charges, if you are looking from the perspective of long-term environmental and climate change perspective, water charges that only break even are a very good thing, because they reduce consumption.

Benedict wrote: »
    It's like saying that if you have a red car and you're caught speeding, no problem. If you have a blue car there will be a fine.

If the blue car owner objects, just say " Don't worry your little head about the red cars, if you don't want a fine, just don't speed".

Sure, it's not fair, but there are lots of things out there that are not fair, but result in an increase in overall societal wellbeing. So would this.

Listening to Eoghan Murphy earlier, seems even FG have accepted water charges are dead in the water. They got their answer in 2016 according to Eoghan, time for some here to come to the same realisation.

Quite simply the vast majority of people did not trust a government where they saw, (long before the C.S.O. admitted in their application to Eurostat that "privatisation of Irish Water is ultimately envisaged"), that their PPS details would end up as a commodity that could be sold to the highest bidder.

When you consider how that FG/Lab government were playing fast and loose with the Public Service Card, according to the Data Protection Commissioner, shows how right they were

Another of the urban myths being perpetuated once again. The CSO never said that.

Listening to Eoghan Murphy earlier, seems even FG have accepted water charges are dead in the water. They got their answer in 2016 according to Eoghan, time for some here to come to the same realisation.

People were told in 1983 that they they got the answer to abortion then, and to come to the same realisation. Ditto divorce.

Some of us aren't tied to political parties, and are more interested in issues. Water charges are a good thing, and I won't stop arguing in favour of them.

People were told in 1983 that they they got the answer to abortion then, and to come to the same realisation. Ditto divorce.

Some of us aren't tied to political parties, and are more interested in issues. Water charges are a good thing, and I won't stop arguing in favour of them.

Argue all you want, very few are listening. ;-)

Argue all you want, very few are listening. ;-)

Reminds me in the lad holding up the John 3:7 sign in Croke Park.

Reminds me in the lad holding up the John 3:7 sign in Croke Park.

Indeed ye do.

• Advertisement

Doesn't matter if we are one of the lowest household misusers of water in the OECD (and I note that once again, you provided a slogan without a link to back it up, and I don't mean a link to another slogan), that would still put us among the highest 20% of misusers of water in the world.

If you are looking at this from the perspective of "no way, we won't pay", then you are against water charges, if you are looking from the perspective of long-term environmental and climate change perspective, water charges that only break even are a very good thing, because they reduce consumption.

Still running away when asked to back up your airy fairy nonsense with bluster I see. Same as your claim on Dáil Standing Orders on another thread that were none existent when you were asked to back them up in fact.
    On your latest nonsense.

We know that with 50% of households metered the 260 euro household charge if everyone had paid would have resulted in Irish Water breaking even without a cent going to water services.
    You now want all the remaining households metered plus all the apartments, again at a break even where nothing will go to water services for nothing other than conservation where 50% of water is lost through mains leaks.

My question was quite simple.

Seeing as the fairies are not going to do all that work for free, what will be the average household charge required to cover that outlay just to break even.

Answer that and we will move on to the rest of your nonsense.
    And btw, if you doubt we are one of the lowest users of domestic water in the O.E.C.D. then either look it up yourself, or just take a look at the quango you are such a champion off, Irish Water`s on figure for mean household consumption.

Advertisement