Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

National school opening times

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,402 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Some schools offer paid and supervised pre and afterschool clubs and this is starting to become the norm as parents will make decisions on schools, if they have a decision to make, based on these things.

Otherwise I think it completely illogical to expect teachers to supervise kids pre school start times to suit parents as all parents will demand different requirements.

Most of the issues with this are down to insurance cover - insurance will not cover the school.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,288 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

My oldest starts next year and the school we’re hoping to get into starts at 8:30 and opens the doors at 8:10. It would really suit us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

amor3 wrote: »
    My kids school starts at 8.45 with supervision from 8.30 in the yard or hall if raining. You can also avail of a breakfast club service (fee) starting from 7.30.

Is there a charge and if so how much?

• Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

My sister school open at 845 for 9 start school in next village starts opens at 8 40 for 9 start my friend school opens at 8 20 for 9 start
    All these schools have same issues as insurance and supervision I'm sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭amor3

Is there a charge and if so how much?

Yes there is a charge, its is dependent on each individual families income.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,078 ✭✭✭salonfire

Hi what time do national schools open the door in the morning mind doesn't open till 8 55 and the start time is 9 is that a standard time??

There's no way a whole school of children are seated, coats off, books out and settled down in 5 minutes for 9.

The teacher is not teaching from 9am. Shortens the teaching day a bit more for the staff I suppose.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,573 ✭✭✭cms88

They might be unwilling to do extra unpaid work on top of a heavy workload.

There's no might be about it. My local school dont open until 9.30 with teachers showing up at about 9.25!

• Registered Users Posts: 48,137 ✭✭✭✭km79

cms88 wrote: »
    There's no might be about it. My local school dont open until 9.30 with teachers showing up at about 9.25!

5 minutes early for work
    For shame

km79 wrote: »
    5 minutes early for work
    For shame

Well we're led to think they're doing all this extra work before work etc

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

In fairness very few arrive 5 minutes before start time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,215 ✭✭✭khalessi

A lot do. And they also stay long after teaching day finishes

I’m sure some do some dont
    Like every other profession ?
    But there is not an expectation that every nurse , doctor, bank official SHOULD be there before work to suit other people’s childcare needs ?

The father above nailed it
    He and 3 other PARENTS wait until the designated time to leave their children under supervision
    At that stage to quite him there are 40 kids there
    With no parental supervision
    Passing responsibility on to whom?

• Registered Users Posts: 29,131 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

km79 wrote: »
    I’m sure some do some dont
    Like every other profession ?
    But there is not an expectation that every nurse , doctor, bank official SHOULD be there before work to suit other people’s childcare needs ?

The father above nailed it
    He and 3 other PARENTS wait until the designated time to leave their children under supervision
    At that stage to quite him there are 40 kids there
    With no parental supervision
    Passing responsibility on to whom?
    The parents who drop their kids know this is the story. Obviously they haven't time to wait with their kids.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,653 ✭✭✭AulWan

9:30 is a ridiculously late starting time. If I still had children of primary school age, I would be unable to send them to a school that started that late, as I would have to commute to work afterwards. In dublin traffic, I'd be lucky to be at my desk by 11am!

The fact is these days in a lot of families, both parents work and not all jobs have flexible start times. So parents are going to ask.

Teachers have kids too, how do they manage if they have to be in school for 9 o'clock, but their own kid's school doesn't open until after 9am?
    There should really be a standard start time for all schools, across the board.

whelan2 wrote: »
    The parents who drop their kids know this is the story. Obviously they haven't time to wait with their kids.

That’s my point

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

AulWan wrote: »

That doesn't work in areas with more than one school. There are 4 primary schools and one secondary school on a road near me (it would take only a few minutes to drive the entire road in light traffic so it's not that long) and they need to stagger the starting times in order to avoid traffic chaos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

9:30 is a ridiculously late starting time. If I still had children of primary school age, I would be unable to send them to a school that started that late, as I would have to commute to work afterwards. In dublin traffic, I'd be lucky to be at my desk by 11am!

The fact is these days in a lot of families, both parents work and not all jobs have flexible start times. So parents are going to ask.

Teachers have kids too, how do they manage if they have to be in school for 9 o'clock, but their own kid's school doesn't open until after 9am?

The teacher's kids probably go to the same school, at least in primary school. And staggered start times help alleviate congestion.

khalessi wrote: »
    A lot do. And they also stay long after teaching day finishes

School is empty and locked by 3.30! Not saying that's the case everywhere though

9:30 is still a ridiculously late start time. I don't buy the congestion excuse for staggered start times.

Any school that has a start time that late must have the presumption that every child has at least one parent at home who doesn't have a job to go to themselves after drop off, or that every one who does works locally.

(eta) If congestion is used as an excuse, then schools should open earlier rather then later, with opening times staggered between 8am and 9am with the latest allowed starting time of 9am.

9:30 is still a ridiculously late start time. I don't buy the congestion excuse for staggered start times.

Any school that has a start time that late must have the presumption that every child has at least one parent at home who doesn't have a job to go to themselves after drop off, or that every one who does works locally.

(eta) If congestion is used as an excuse, then schools should open earlier rather then later, with opening times staggered between 8am and 9am with the latest allowed starting time of 9am.
    Opening times have to be discussed with road traffic authority in regards to traffic congestion and health and safety

• Advertisement

khalessi wrote: »
    Opening times have to be discussed with road traffic authority in regards to traffic congestion and health and safety

If it is truly necessary, then that can still be done, once a reasonable latest cut off of 9am is part it. I still say 9:30am is a not a reasonable start time for a primary school to open.

Thankfully, the school my children attended recognised that parents were also under pressure to get to jobs, and they facilitated a breakfast club that started at 8:00am (staffed by volunteers, not teachers, god forbid) that was wildly successful. School official start time was 9am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭Salary Negotiator

If it is truly necessary, then that can still be done, once a reasonable latest cut off of 9am is part it. I still say 9:30am is a not a reasonable start time for a primary school to open.

Thankfully, the school my children attended recognised that parents were also under pressure to get to jobs, and they facilitated a breakfast club that started at 8:00am (staffed by volunteers, not teachers, god forbid) that was wildly successful. School official start time was 9am.

Why god forbid; do people actually expect teachers to supervise their children outside of working hours for free?

Fair play to the volunteers. You wouldn't find many people in most communities that would volunteer their time like this to mind other peoples kids.

Why god forbid; do people actually expect teachers to supervise their children outside of working hours for free?

Was about to ask same question

kippy wrote: »
    Fair play to the volunteers. You wouldn't find many people in most communities that would volunteer their time like this to mind other peoples kids.

Technically they were minding their own kids, as any parent who used the club was expected to take their turn and do at least a week of mornings, that was how it worked, and it worked very well. There were very few who didn't take their turn.

But I guess you wouldn't be able to do it now without Garda vetting, etc.

Well we all know teachers don't do anything for free.

But having said that, I'd be willing to pay for it.

Technically they were minding their own kids, as any parent who used the club was expected to take their turn and do at least a week of mornings, that was how it worked, and it worked very well. There were very few who didn't take their turn.

But I guess you wouldn't be able to do it now without Garda vetting, etc.

Technicilly they were minding their own kids and someone elses'.

It would have been a rare setup I would have thought and insurances and all the other bit and pieces we have in the modern world make it impossible to replicate nowadays.

kippy wrote: »
    Technicilly they were minding their own kids and someone elses'.

It would have been a rare setup I would have thought and insurances and all the other bit and pieces we have in the modern world make it impossible to replicate nowadays.

And in turn, someone else was minding their's. Quid pro quo.

Yes, it was a rare setup, and it was arranged by a Principal with a bit of initiative who was concerned about children being dropped off to wait in the schoolyard from 8am onwards. It made it possible for me to get to work on time every day, which was hard enough in Dublin traffic as it was.

The same school now has a formal breakfast club that is staffed but I don't know who funds it. Thank god primary school is long behind me now, but a 9:30am start time would have literally been impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,418 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

They use a childminder. Very obvious on this thread that some parents consider school to be a child minding service and not an educational facility.

• Advertisement

They use a childminder. Very obvious on this thread that some parents consider school to be a child minding service and not an educational facility.

If you can find one who would be willing to do school drop offs only, sure. But I wish you good luck in finding a registered minder who is willing to do that.

Sure, you can pay someone under the table to do it, but these types of arrangements tend to be unreliable.

Not as easy to find as you might think. Been there, done that.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement