Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Typically 'Irish' Christmas things to send abroad...

Options
  • 12-11-2019 11:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭

Ok, so I have a friend in Canada that I met entirely online, and this year we've decided that we're not psychopaths so we're sending each other Christmas cards, since they're big Christmas fans too.

I was thinking though, I might send like a package of Irish Christmas stuff over with the card. Now, not "fiddle-dee-dee" Oirish stuff, but like, things that are uniquely Irish or at the least vaguely common over here, as opposed to Canada.

I'm making a festive cushion cover as part of it, and i was thinking of getting one of the "Lady on the Rock" tree ornaments, since we're in Dublin and my wife is obsessed with the Lady on the Rocks...

Any suggestions? Obviously nothing massive, crazy expensive or heavy to post :p

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

Ok, so I have a friend in Canada that I met entirely online, and this year we've decided that we're not psychopaths so we're sending each other Christmas cards, since they're big Christmas fans too.

I was thinking though, I might send like a package of Irish Christmas stuff over with the card. Now, not "fiddle-dee-dee" Oirish stuff, but like, things that are uniquely Irish or at the least vaguely common over here, as opposed to Canada.

I'm making a festive cushion cover as part of it, and i was thinking of getting one of the "Lady on the Rock" tree ornaments, since we're in Dublin and my wife is obsessed with the Lady on the Rocks...

Any suggestions? Obviously nothing massive, crazy expensive or heavy to post :p

Box of Tayto and box of Cadbury chocolate :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,461 Mod ✭✭✭✭HildaOgdenx

I think Newbridge Silver is lovely as a gift. It's very much Irish without being fiddle dee dee :D.
    They do lovely tree ornaments etc at Christmas, in addition to their usual stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,530 ✭✭✭tscul32

I had to Google 'lady on the rocks'. Lived my whole life in dublin and never heard of her.
    Love the Newbridge or Tipperary Crystal tree decorations. Or even the ones you get at the stalls in the shopping centres, where you get names written on them, they do lovely ones with "Nollaig Shona" on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,005 ✭✭✭✭Toto Wolfcastle

There are lovely Irish decorations in Dunnes that might be nice but obviously they'd need to be packed carefully!

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/helen-james-considered-santa-bauble/3590137

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/helen-james-considered-red-nollaig-bauble/3590135

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

tscul32 wrote: »
    I had to Google 'lady on the rocks'. Lived my whole life in dublin and never heard of her.

:eek::eek::eek:
    There are lovely Irish decorations in Dunnes that might be nice but obviously they'd need to be packed carefully!

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/helen-james-considered-santa-bauble/3590137

https://www.dunnesstores.com/p/helen-james-considered-red-nollaig-bauble/3590135

They're gorgeous! I did also spot this, which is probably a wee bit safer to post!

• Advertisement

:eek::eek::eek:They're gorgeous! I did also spot this, which is probably a wee bit safer to post!

I bought one of those last year with a different phrase on it. They're really lovely. Love Jam Art Factory.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

I'd concur with some Cadburys chocolate and Newbridge tree decorations. Our friends and family in Canada and the US love both. The chocolate is requested year round. Sone Newbridge jewellery is inexpensive and has unique designs.

Avoid the Aran or cable knitwear it's hick and a dime a dozen over there.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,421 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Ah so lovely, I used to do this with a friend of mine from Germany.

Barry's Loose Leaf Tea is always a winner. I used to try source some nice local cheese too - if you can get it vaccum packed, it won't go off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,865 ✭✭✭TRS30

I'd concur with some Cadburys chocolate and Newbridge tree decorations. Our friends and family in Canada and the US love both. The chocolate is requested year round. Sone Newbridge jewellery is inexpensive and has unique designs.

Avoid the Aran or cable knitwear it's hick and a dime a dozen over there.

My wife's family in the US have a standing order for Cadburys chocolate anytime anything is been sent to them.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭otnomart

When I lived in IE, my usual Irish gifts for friends and family abroad were:

Smoked salmon, Christmas puddings,
    Butlers Irish chocolate,
    Newbridge/Waterford Christmas baubles for the tree (used to get them at Dublin airport),
    Irish knitted gloves (used to get them in either Blarney Woolen mills, and at one of the Trinity - related shops in Nassau Street),
    and also random cute things from Avoca Handweavers.

Gift recipients were happy and in many cases they asked me to bring the same again and again !

I guess in Canada they also have Christmas puddings, and plenty of smoked salmon already, so you could rule those out, though !

• Advertisement
  • Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

You can get Cadbury’s chocolate in Canada, or at least where I live anyway (Quebec) - some of the bars are different but they have Dairy Milk, Crunchie etc. If you’re going to send Cadbury’s send Mint Crisp or Golden Crisp as they’re Irish ones. Butlers chocolates go down a treat here too. Personally I ask people to bring chocolate kimberleys when they visit because I miss them.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Also I wouldn’t send anything like smoked salmon or cheese in the post as it’ll probably get stopped at customs, they’re strict about letting meat, dairy, fish, fruit, vegetables etc into the country. Stuff like biscuits, chocolates etc would be fine though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Is Cadbury not British?

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,732 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

keane2097 wrote: »
    Is Cadbury not British?

It is but the Irish factory manufacturers all the Irish chocolate and it tends to be sweeter than other countries that’s why people send Cadbury’s over Irish chocolate has a distinct taste.

Sure Tayto is German-owned but I don’t think anyone would consider it anything but Irish!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,770 ✭✭✭✭keane2097

Loughc wrote: »
    It is but the Irish factory manufacturers all the Irish chocolate and it tends to be sweeter than other countries that’s why people send Cadbury’s over Irish chocolate has a distinct taste.

Ah cool, didn't realise that - thanks for the info.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 27,527 Mod ✭✭✭✭Posy

+1 for Newbridge silverware, or Tipperary crystal, tree ornaments. And Butler's chocolates are a great suggestion. Always go down well.
    i was thinking of getting one of the "Lady on the Rock" tree ornaments, since we're in Dublin and my wife is obsessed with the Lady on the Rocks...
    I love the lady!! I always look out for her in houses. I don't get why she has to be in every window. :pac:
    Where can you get a tree ornament of her?
    tscul32 wrote: »
    Once you know of her, you will see her everywhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,012 ✭✭✭✭Purple Mountain

Posy wrote: »
    +1 for Newbridge silverware, or Tipperary crystal, tree ornaments. And Butler's chocolates are a great suggestion. Always go down well.

I love the lady!! I always look out for her in houses. I don't get why she has to be in every window. :pac:
    Where can you get a tree ornament of her?

Once you know of her, you will see her everywhere.

Another one who's never heard of her.. I'm off to Google.

To thine own self be true

• Registered Users Posts: 10,010 ✭✭✭✭Caranica

Loughc wrote: »

Not by a long shot. They only manufacture certain bars here. Look out for the love Irish food logo to be sure you're getting the proper stuff. Even for bars they do make here e.g. dairy milk, you'll quite often find the UK version on the shelf, sometimes with the fair trade logo.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

Some Irish whiskey!

I also had to google lady on the rock and I am a Dub.

• Advertisement

I wouldn’t have known they were called Lady on the Rock but I pass them in nearly every window on my way to work.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

Some lovely gift ideas here. If packing foodstuffs Chef brown sauce may be appreciated. No other brand is the same. Relations of ours in Australia ask for it along with Cadbury chocolate and Tayto c&o.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Jude13

For our packs (expats a long time now) we request white pudding, King Crips (my OH), barry's tea bags, Snax (crisps), Mc Donalds curry sauce sachets. Actually its all my OH's things/wants.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,001 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Ann22 wrote: »
    Some lovely gift ideas here. If packing foodstuffs Chef brown sauce may be appreciated. No other brand is the same. Relations of ours in Australia ask for it along with Cadbury chocolate and Tayto c&o.

HP sauce is a favourite with one of my uncles in NY rather than the Chef but I think that's English, is it?

Advertisement