Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

You (Lifetime/Netflix) [** Spoilers **]

Options
  • 07-09-2018 11:25am
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

While looking around for new shows for the season, I came across this one on Lifetime. You, based on the Caroline Kepnes novel, starts on Sunday night in the States.

Who doesn't love a good stalkery psycho love story? :)
    Good buzz from advance critic screenings too.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 84,986 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Is this 50 Shades of Grey tv show :P

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

This should be a must watch for every milenial out there how stalking works; this was so so good and the main character is such a nice sweet guy.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,260 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

So Mr E, reaction?

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Loved it. I think the two leads carry it well.

The censorship on the version I watched was a bit annoying though. Lots of bad language blanked out by silence.

I see there is a placeholder on Netflix for it - I wonder when it's starting there?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,774 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Mr E wrote: »
    I see there is a placeholder on Netflix for it - I wonder when it's starting there?
    It's a ten episode series.. so shortly after episode 10 around mid-November I'd guess.

Haven't watched this yet but heard good things - might give it a try despite the synopsis not really being up my street.

• Advertisement

Veered wildly between entertaining and complete hokum.. but good fun!

Is there a version aired with curse words uncensored?

Not that I've seen, Basq. Shame! Maybe on Netflix when it launches there.

Mr E wrote: »
    Not that I've seen, Basq. Shame! Maybe on Netflix when it launches there.
    Yeah, possibly. Was quite jarring in it I thought.

Penn Badgley’s Joe new obsession will be played by actress Victoria Pedretti
    Pedretti’s character, Love Quinn, is an aspiring chef who’s working as a produce manager in a high-end grocery store. Unlike her predecessor, she is uninterested in the world of social media, branding and self-promotion, focused instead on leading an interesting life. She is also tending to a deep grief — and when she meets Joe, she senses a shared knowledge of profound, life-changing loss

https://tvline.com/2019/01/30/you-season-2-victoria-pedretti-cast-love-quinn-netflix/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

Anybody watching this? A psychological thriller with a lot of black humour in it. I'm just getting into it and think it's great. Very much like Dexter, except with a stalker instead of a serial killer.The lead actor is very good in it; he reminds me of a cross between young Jim Carrey and Robert Sean Leonard :pac:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/You_(TV_series)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭Mongfinder General

Anybody watching this? A psychological thriller with a lot of black humour in it. I'm just getting into it and think it's great. Very much like Dexter, except with a stalker instead of a serial killer.The lead actor is very good in it; he reminds me of a cross between young Jim Carrey and Robert Sean Leonard :pac:

It's a good watch. Looking forward to season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Sarac87

Watched it, really enjoyed it; enjoyed Dexter a little bit more. I think Penn Badgley is a great actor but I found the character of Beck kind of annoying.

Sarac87 wrote: »
    Watched it, really enjoyed it; enjoyed Dexter a little bit more. I think Penn Badgley is a great actor but I found the character of Beck kind of annoying.

I found her very annoying too, but i think her character is supposed to be like that. There have been some nice twists so far (i'm 4 episodes in) that have surprised me. It's a fun show to watch.
    Shame Benji got killed off so quickly. He was a great douche-bag!

Sorry! I was typing from my phone at the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

Just finished watching it last night. Really enjoyed it and it got pretty intense in the last episode. Beck is fairly annoying and Joe is a psycho but I still found him a likeable character most of the time...those eyes and amazing cheekbones help! I’m not totally on board with how it finished up and really think they could have done without leaving things open for a second series.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

Was rooting for Joe throughout.

Beck a terribly annoying character.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭Benny Biscotti

A fantastic series. But I can't see how they can stretch this out anymore without getting repetitive so I'm not expecting a great season 2.

There is a thread for the show

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=109290113

Perhaps a mod will merge please ;)

Merged.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,584 ✭✭✭✭walshb

Almost finished this

It's ridiculously far fetched, but it works. Really enjoyable show

Joe is such an engaging and likable and intriguing character....

Can't say why it works, but it does.....

• Advertisement

I think it's quite like Dexter. Michael C Hall was very likeable and we root for him even though he is a psychopath. Same with Joe, but at least Dexter had a code, whereas Joe is just unhinged. I think the black humour really stands to it; I've laughed out loud a lot of times watching this, hearing Joe's inner thoughts pacman.gif My favourite shows tend to be about sociopaths: Dexter, The Sopranos, You, and recently Dirty John (loved Eric Bana in it)...I don't know what that says about me confused.pngpacman.gif

I think it's quite like Dexter. Michael C Hall was very likeable and we root for him even though he is a psychopath. Same with Joe, but at least Dexter had a code, whereas Joe is just unhinged. I think the black humour really stands to it; I've laughed out loud a lot of times watching this, hearing Joe's inner thoughts pacman.gif My favourite shows tend to be about sociopaths: Dexter, The Sopranos, You, and recently Dirty John (loved Eric Bana in it)...I don't know what that says about me confused.pngpacman.gif

I'm watching Dirty John as well; 3 episodes in......enjoying it.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭homosapien91

Binge watched this over a weekend, loved it and loved the main character Joe! Interested to see how season 2 pans out

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭KingJeremy

walshb wrote: »
    I'm watching Dirty John as well; 3 episodes in......enjoying it.

Finished Dirty John this week. Didn’t enjoy it quite as much as You but still a good watch. John is easy to dislike compared to Joe! After watching Eric Bana as a stand up comedian for years when I was a kid I find it hard to take him seriously in acting roles...but I think he did well with this one.

The 2nd season premieres on Netflix UK on Thursday December 26th

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 345 ✭✭Tea Shock

Binge watched both seasons over the last couple of weeks

Really liked season 1

But I was on the verge of giving up on it about 4 episodes into season 2 but I stuck with it to the end. I ended up sorry I did. Someone above said in relation to season 1 that it was ridiculously far fetched but still worked.... Well season 2 was even more ridiculously far fetched and didn't work. Joe's obsession over the celebrity comedian wasn't believable at all and the ending was simply bull****.

I liked season 2....

Joe is one of the most intriguing and likeable characters on tv in recent years...

Even if he is a killer!!!

And the four main females.....Love, Candace, Delilah and Ellie....smokin!

Don't know.. I found season 1 more of a chore than season 2 in parts.

Season 1's sidestory with
    Peach
    seem to take forever to go anywhere.

Though the ending of season 2 was beyond
    predictable

• Registered Users Posts: 2,461 ✭✭✭5star02707

So many questions for season 3! Another year i guess

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭TacoMan

Binge-watched season 2 in 2 days, enjoyable overall, but a bit predictable in parts.

The theory for Season 3 is
    The neighbour Joe is spying on at the end of Season 2 is actually his mother (we never saw if she died throughout the flashbacks during Season 2).

Advertisement